PDA

View Full Version : Nees some suggestions for a research project...

emigrant
January 6th, 2010, 04:31 PM
hi all,
i need some topic/ideas for a B.Sc. in IT research project.
i need suggestions on areas of research topic based on Java or c#.

no need tough titles, just for an average 3.0 GPA person. :)
and the project would be done in groups.

waiting for suggestions.

thank you all for your time. :)

Psumi
January 6th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Make a working USB Stack for ReactOS.

You said C after all. Oh wait, you said C# >.> I get confused with all the iterations of C.

emigrant
January 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM
hey, where are the guys?....

LeifAndersen
January 7th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Nees some suggestions for a research project...

Well, you could always start on an analysis of how spelling on webforums fails. ;)

Anyway, you could do something on how people tend to use the 'unsafe' bits of C#.

Marisa H
January 8th, 2010, 08:37 PM
It really depends on your major. I mean, if you're majoring in programming then the 'unsafe bits of C#' is a really good idea, or if you're a network security major then you can do something on Bluetooth security or wireless network security. The best thing may be just to pick something you like, something you read about in your free time when you're not hitting the books. That way you already have a strong knowledge base and doing the research won't feel like a chore.

ve4cib
January 8th, 2010, 08:55 PM
"IT Research" is a pretty vast subject. What courses have you taken that you enjoyed? What's your background? What interests you? Without knowing anything about you it's pretty hard to suggest anything.

A random idea that comes to mind would be a comparative study of possible security vulnerabilities relating the Common Runtime Library used by Mono on Linux with Microsoft's proprietary version on Windows.

Or since you're interested in C# and Java why not look at methods to optimize JIT-compiled code used by both languages? Or compare the performance of the JVM vs .NET framework on a few standard benchmarks, and suggest reasons why one outperforms the other?

emigrant
January 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM
thanks guys,
i need more suggestions...
@ ve4cib (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=321277),
since this is a group research, we can consider about different area, so far what is in our mind are java mobile applications for controlling phone calls etc... or any image processing based things...
and we are looking for open source based things as well... (no problem if it is c or c++)

thank you very much guys...
i appreciate your help very much.
:)

Marisa H
January 15th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Hmmmm... There are already a significant number of java-based mobile applications out there, n proprieary r open-source formats and on pretty much any platform you can think of. If you're set on the idea of java apps, then for example you could either design a new application (very difficult given the current glut of information), or do a detailed research project analysing the inner workings of an existing application (much more manageable). for example, you could study how java applications handle phone calls, and develop a group of optimization techniqes.

If you wanted to combine java apps and image processing then you might study how image processing applications like check scanners and barcode scanners process information. For a Bsc in IT you might not need to get a lot into coding and intense programming like you would for compsci. That makes a really big difference as far as topics. Like if you're doing a presentation then you could do a comparative study on networking between electronic devices from different platforms - like what are the differences and similarities in I/O streams when an iphne vs a droid vs a blackberry connect directly to a printer?