PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else had problems refilling HP printer cartridges?

oxf
January 6th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Has anyone else had problems refilling a HP 21 black deskjet cartridge? Actually this is not an original but an replacement purchased at Tesco.

It refills easy enough, I put in about 25ml of ink. The problem is when I try and print the first few lines print OK and then it quickly runs out of ink even though the cartridge is full. It's like the ink is not getting to the print head. And yes I have carefully cleaned the head and I've not damaged it. I'm beginning to wonder if HP hasn't done something to stop people refilling them?

Any thoughts or experiences?

madhi19
January 6th, 2010, 04:00 PM
A printing cartridge that does not allow refilling am shock totally shock I tell you!

Ubom
January 6th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Well, what's probably happened is air has gotten in-between the head and the ink so it will keep cutting out until the air has come out, some cartridges don't allow refilling but those tend to not work at all. Just print a few pages until the cutting out stops and try not to let the cartridge empty completely before refilling.

gn2
January 6th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I have a similar HP, they are a p.i.t.a. to fill which is why I buy my black compatibles on ebay.
For colour I use date expired originals.

Exodist
January 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
a printing cartridge that does not allow refilling am shock totally shock i tell you!
this++

oxf
January 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Well, what's probably happened is air has gotten in-between the head and the ink so it will keep cutting out until the air has come out, some cartridges don't allow refilling but those tend to not work at all. Just print a few pages until the cutting out stops and try not to let the cartridge empty completely before refilling.

Yes you are right it probably wouldnt print at all. The first few lines are perfect...every time. I'm still trying though

inkjet1
February 17th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I am using HP printer cartridge for a long time but never had a problem but I always buy cartridges from a reliable store which has a physical existence.

By

Inkjet1

audiomick
February 17th, 2010, 05:57 PM
I used to refill the black on my HP deskjet, but it has been a while. One of the things I had to watch for was that the hole that I filled it through was really sealed up afterwards. The cartridge needed a specific part vacuum inside to work properly. On one cartridge, I ended up sealing the the stopper in with bathroom silicon. Probably would have been simpler to buy another one...

Another thing is that I was only able to re-fill any individual cartridge about 3 or 4 times before it didn't want to play anymore, and I think only genuine ones.

The Real Dave
February 17th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I always refill my HP cartidges (57 and 56) and can usually get 9-10 refills out of them. And that's on the Tesco refilled ones. I don't need the quality, so it makes sense to.

Sounds like they're air locked. You could try pushing the needle down further and refilling from the bottom up, but that'll damage the foam in them, and probably reduce their lifespan.

oxf
March 9th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I always refill my HP cartidges (57 and 56) and can usually get 9-10 refills out of them. And that's on the Tesco refilled ones. I don't need the quality, so it makes sense to.

Sounds like they're air locked. You could try pushing the needle down further and refilling from the bottom up, but that'll damage the foam in them, and probably reduce their lifespan.

It must have been an air bubble. i left it upside down, print head up for a couple of day and it seems fine now! This is a Tesco one BTW. Previously I've refilled ones for my old Cannon many many times.

One I did have trouble with though was a "larger capacity" or so the the claimed, that I got at Rymans. One refill and it never printed properly again..

Ederico
June 8th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I'm having a problem. I just refilled my 21 black ink cartridge at Cartridge World. Unfortunately my HP PSC 1410 is showing that the cartridge is empty. I was told that this is normal for a refilled cartridge. However, I still can't print anything. Too bad, I had a different problem before this one, as soon as I switch on the printer it would print a test page wasting me paper and ink. Now I can't even print anything!

I'm running Kubuntu 10.04. My print manager (forgot what it is called, the default one) shows the document that should be printed but after it is elaborated I got that it has stopped.

Can anyone help, please?

LowSky
June 8th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Reilling ink cartriges isn't something I do as it never goes well. Instead I purchased a small $100 HP laser printer. I've had it for 3 years and its still on the same toner it came with. Toner doesn't dry up like ink does and I barely ever need to print in color so I don't miss the function at all.

sanderella
June 8th, 2010, 03:37 PM
It must have been an air bubble. i left it upside down, print head up for a couple of day and it seems fine now! This is a Tesco one BTW. Previously I've refilled ones for my old Cannon many many times.

One I did have trouble with though was a "larger capacity" or so the the claimed, that I got at Rymans. One refill and it never printed properly again..

Thanks for the idea, I'll try this. Yes I am having trouble with HP cartridges, too. :confused:

Frogs Hair
June 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I haven't had any problems with black ink refills , but the shop where I had it done is now closed . I will see if I find a new place that does a good job.

oxf
June 9th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the idea, I'll try this. Yes I am having trouble with HP cartridges, too. :confused:

I've had this happen two or three times now and a gentle shake (and I mean gentle otherwise ink goes all over you!!!!) and upside down for a few hours/overnight seems to resolve it.

Apart from this glitch I've managed to refill catridges many times without problem saving huge amounts of money over even places like Cartridge World (who one tried to tell me it was physically impossible to refill a certain type of cartridge).

sanderella
June 10th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys! Leaving the cartridge upside down for 24 hours worked well. :p

oxf
June 11th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks guys! Leaving the cartridge upside down for 24 hours worked well. :p

Great..glad it worked! :popcorn: