PDA

View Full Version : [kde] KOffice Integration

clicker4721
January 6th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Okay, I expected this to be everywhere, but I did not find anything close in the forums. If it already exists, direct me to the answer and kill this one. Anyway, question:
Does KOffice have better integration into the KDE Framework? According to a diagram I found from a simple Google search it appears that Koffice and Kontact integrate similarly, and Kontact is virtually un-uprootable from KDE. Or am I misinterpreting the graph?
file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.pnghttp://pim.kde.org/akonadi/architecture.pngMy question is not one of OO.o versus KOffice, I'm just curious about KOffice's KDE integration. Anything would help.

gsmanners
January 6th, 2010, 10:40 AM
The package "koffice" brings in a number of applications. For example, "kword" which relies heavily on the KDE libs. You might not need KDE per se, but you will need a lot of what goes into KDE in order to use koffice.

clicker4721
January 6th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Is that a "yes, it does integrate well," or "it just takes up too much extra space?"

gsmanners
January 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM
That depends on how you define space or integration. I'm just stating facts. KOffice depends on KDE libraries. That's basically all that chart illustrates.

clicker4721
January 7th, 2010, 11:37 PM
So essentially, KOffice's installed space is smaller than OO.o's because much of it is necessary already? And because it uses so much of that, KDE integrates more completely with it, though not necessarily the other way, unlike Kontact (which works in both directions). Like commensalism. Do I understand it correctly?