PDA

View Full Version : "9"

HappinessNow
January 6th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Just watched the movie "9" most awesome movie I have seen in a long time and the best movie of 2009 if not of all time...anybody else see and like "9"?

phillychease
January 6th, 2010, 06:42 AM
hell yea. i love that movie

HappinessNow
January 6th, 2010, 07:00 AM
hell yea. i love that movieAhhh! There is hope for the Universe!

Lightstar
January 6th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I loved it, bought it as soon as it came out on dvd too.

Gizenshya
January 6th, 2010, 07:07 AM
edit: ok, so 9 ("nine") != district 9.

District 9 sucked. I'll have to check out Nine.

schauerlich
January 6th, 2010, 07:11 AM
9 was pretty good. Not amazing. (other than the animation - that was amazing).

HappinessNow
January 6th, 2010, 07:12 AM
edit: ok, so 9 ("nine") != district 9.

District 9 sucked. I'll have to check out Nine.
Right "9" is NOT "District 9"

HappinessNow
January 6th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I loved it, bought it as soon as it came out on dvd too.I am definitely buying this movie!!! I can't believe I missed this movie at the theaters!

andrew_D14
January 6th, 2010, 07:24 AM
9 was horrible. The story, characters, and overall direction of the film was just terrible. The only thing it had going for it was the animations and steam punkness.

HappinessNow
January 6th, 2010, 07:29 AM
9 was horrible. The story, characters, and overall direction of the film was just terrible. The only thing it had going for it was the animations and steam punkness.
:lolflag:

...everybody has their own opinion. :P

the yawner
January 6th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Story-wise it was nothing remarkable. But it's ok in my book.

3rdalbum
January 6th, 2010, 09:22 AM
I'm not going to see it until I've watched the first eight movies. That won't be for a while - I'm still trying to get a hold of "The Madness Of King George the First" and "The Madness of King George the Second" so I can watch "The Madness of King George the Third".

HappinessNow
January 6th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I'm not going to see it until I've watched the first eight movies. That won't be for a while - I'm still trying to get a hold of "The Madness Of King George the First" and "The Madness of King George the Second" so I can watch "The Madness of King George the Third".:lolflag:

Only one movie, "9" but there is a short that the movie was based on, that is included on the DVD.

gn2
January 6th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I've never heard of a movie 9, but I've seen District 9 and thought it was great.

koleoptero
January 6th, 2010, 01:20 PM
There is another nine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_5_lzags3I) too. It was the year of the nines.

I loved 9 (I'm assuming we're talking about the animation here), the first movie in some time I watched two times in a row.

rjmdomingo2003
January 6th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Watched 9, and was quite good. Up was better.

HappinessNow
January 6th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I've never heard of a movie 9, but I've seen District 9 and thought it was great.I actually thought District 9 was awesome also. If you like Tim Burton movies then you would like "9", I actually think this is Tim Burton's best movie yet.

There is another nine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_5_lzags3I) too. It was the year of the nines.

I loved 9 (I'm assuming we're talking about the animation here), the first movie in some time I watched two times in a row.Yep the Tim Burton 3D animation movie.

Watched 9, and was quite good. Up was better.UP is another awesome movie (made me cry twice!)...that said I like the art work and 3D animation of "9" better, I also like Tim Burton's view/spin on life.

ukripper
January 6th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Just watched the movie "9" most awesome movie I have seen in a long time and the best movie of 2009 if not of all time...anybody else see and like "9"?

Excellent movie. Story and plot was well executed, better than avatar. Avatar's story was total spastic

HappinessNow
January 6th, 2010, 02:20 PM
...better than avatar. Avatar's story was total spasticAvatar was based on many things that people don't realize, many pre-released works.

I haven't seen Avatar yet through, only read about it, take a look at this (http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1261364552525) article for an interesting perspective on Avatar.

Excellent movie. Story and plot was well executed,...
I agree completely of course!

ukripper
January 6th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Avatar was based on many things that people don't realize, many pre-released works.

When i was watching avatar in 3d, it just felt like i had been watching worser version of "Dances with Wolves" (story wise) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099348/

Avatar's 3d experience is the only thing which i liked.

Tristam Green
January 6th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Yep the Tim Burton 3D animation movie.

Burton was only an executive producer, same as Bekmambetov. That's not to say they didn't play an important role in the film's production, but Shane Acker was the director and brainchild behind 9's genius.

I loved the film, and am ashamed that I haven't picked it up on Blu-Ray yet.

HappinessNow
January 7th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Burton was only an executive producer, same as Bekmambetov. That's not to say they didn't play an important role in the film's production, but Shane Acker was the director and brainchild behind 9's genius.

I loved the film, and am ashamed that I haven't picked it up on Blu-Ray yet.
Shane Acker did an amazing job! I look forward to his future productions. The fact that Tim Burton was involved gives this film significance.

I still hold this as one of the top movies of all times, and definitely one of the top animated movies.

Tristam Green
January 7th, 2010, 03:56 PM
one of the top animated movies

easily.

one of the top movies of all times

not so much, but different strokes for different folks, right?

3rdalbum
January 7th, 2010, 04:36 PM
When i was watching avatar in 3d, it just felt like i had been watching worser version of "Dances with Wolves" (story wise) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099348/

I haven't seen Avatar yet, but what I heard about its storyline did make me think of Dances With Wolves.

phrostbyte
January 7th, 2010, 04:40 PM
It has a AI/robot theme to it right? It's definitely on my queue of movies to watch then. :D It's kind of strange, but almost all my favourite movies involve robots or AI. The Matrix, Wall-E, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Short Circuit, Blade Runner, AI, etc. :)

Tristam Green
January 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
It has a AI/robot theme to it right?

only slightly. more like an "imbedded intelligence" than artificial.

ve4cib
January 7th, 2010, 04:45 PM
9 was an enjoyable movie, but I don't think I'd rank it as my favourite movie of 2009. But I'd watch 9 again.

Watchmen, District 9, and Moon were probably my favourite movies of last year. Moon was especially good.

HappinessNow
January 7th, 2010, 05:13 PM
It has a AI/robot theme to it right? It's definitely on my queue of movies to watch then. :D It's kind of strange, but almost all my favourite movies involve robots or AI. The Matrix, Wall-E, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Short Circuit, Blade Runner, AI, etc. :)

only slightly. more like an "imbedded intelligence" than artificial.

even a little further then embedded intelligence,...embedded soul or fractions there of.

Tristam Green
January 7th, 2010, 05:23 PM
even a little further then embedded intelligence,...embedded soul or fractions there of.

i was trying to not give it away :|

HappinessNow
January 7th, 2010, 08:47 PM
i was trying to not give it away :|
ooopppps!...does that give anything away?

drawkcab
January 8th, 2010, 04:59 AM
9 was ok

HappinessNow
January 9th, 2010, 03:16 AM
9 was ok
:popcorn: :P :P :P

JECHO
January 9th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Avatar was the best movie of 2009, if not of all time IMO :)

HappinessNow
January 9th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Avatar was the best movie of 2009, if not of all time IMO :)I haven't seen it yet, I think I will wait until it comes out on DVD.

ukripper
January 11th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I haven't seen it yet, I think I will wait until it comes out on DVD.

If you r not watching Avatar in 3D then it is not worth a watch. Animation is all Avatar has and you gona kill it by watching on small screen with 2D TV.

i suggest you watch avatar in 3d cinema if you have to.

Tristam Green
January 11th, 2010, 02:37 PM
If you r not watching Avatar in 3D then it is not worth a watch. Animation is all Avatar has and you gona kill it by watching on small screen with 2D TV.

If you run Ubuntu on an ATI card 2 years old then it is not worth running at all. It is a legacy card and you're gonna kill it by trying to running it on unsupported software.

I suggest you buy new hardware if you have to.

No thanks, I'll pass and watch movies on what I want to watch them on...

ve4cib
January 11th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I saw Avatar last week. It was okay, but I really wouldn't say it's one of the best movies of all time. The plot was transparent and unoriginal, and the acting/writing wasn't anything spectacular (but were good enough).

The only area that Avatar really excelled in was visual effects. But that's really not sufficient for a truly great movie. Otherwise The Phantom Menace would be ranked among the best movies ever. And let's be honest; that movie sucked.

Was Avatar a bad movie? No. It was entertaining enough, but I think it's best-enjoyed by slapping on the 3D glasses, turning your brain off, and watching it. If you approach it with any kind of cerebral expectations you will likely be let down.

EDIT:
About the plot being slightly unoriginal:
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/epic-fail-avatar-plot-fail.jpg <-- May contain spoilers!

HappinessNow
January 11th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I saw Avatar last week. It was okay, but I really wouldn't say it's one of the best movies of all time. The plot was transparent and unoriginal, and the acting/writing wasn't anything spectacular (but were good enough).

The only area that Avatar really excelled in was visual effects. But that's really not sufficient for a truly great movie. Otherwise The Phantom Menace would be ranked among the best movies ever. And let's be honest; that movie sucked.

Was Avatar a bad movie? No. It was entertaining enough, but I think it's best-enjoyed by slapping on the 3D glasses, turning your brain off, and watching it. If you approach it with any kind of cerebral expectations you will likely be let down.still haven't seen it yet, waiting for the DVD.

ukripper
January 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM
If you run Ubuntu on an ATI card 2 years old then it is not worth running at all. It is a legacy card and you're gonna kill it by trying to running it on unsupported software.

I suggest you buy new hardware if you have to.

No thanks, I'll pass and watch movies on what I want to watch them on...

Bad analogy!

koleoptero
January 12th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Bad analogy!

Not really.

Tristam Green
January 12th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Bad analogy!

koleoptero gave the correct answer.

purgatori
January 12th, 2010, 02:00 PM

I wonder what's for dinner...

magmon
January 12th, 2010, 02:37 PM

I liked the "2d" better than the real 3d because you get a better frame rate. Yeah, the real 3d is cool, but it's kinda laggy and it doesn't really change much.

Also, Avatar is just a BA remake of pokahontas with cooler characters >.>

ukripper
January 12th, 2010, 05:24 PM
koleoptero gave the correct answer.

In your opinion!

doas777
January 12th, 2010, 05:27 PM
don;t know about 9, but I just saw "The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus", and it was wonderful. most likely the best I'll see this year.

HappinessNow
January 13th, 2010, 08:34 AM

not that interested in Avatar...honestly.

user1397
January 13th, 2010, 09:50 AM
which one are we talking about?

this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472033/

or this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0875034/

both came out in 2009 and both are titled nine...go figure hehe.

etnlIcarus
January 13th, 2010, 09:52 AM

^ This.

The formula is animation for the kids, story for the adults and this formula works. Going and doing the opposite does not make for a good film. 9 is ironic-if-vacuous eye-candy at best; abysmal and patronising at worst.

barnex
January 13th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Great movie!

Tristam Green
January 13th, 2010, 02:34 PM
^ This.

The formula is animation for the kids, story for the adults and this formula works. Going and doing the opposite does not make for a good film. 9 is ironic-if-vacuous eye-candy at best; abysmal and patronising at worst.

Your viewpoint is interesting, given that the film was set in what appeared to be Eastern Europe.

I found it hardly patronizing.

etnlIcarus
January 13th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Your viewpoint is interesting, given that the film was set in what appeared to be Eastern Europe.

I found it hardly patronizing.
Of course the film drew thematic inspiration from Nazi Germany, so what?

Tristam Green
January 13th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Of course the film drew thematic inspiration from Nazi Germany, so what?

It drew inspiration from World War II proper, not just Nazi Germany. I just don't see why you're saying it's "vacuous at best", and "patronizing at worst". It doesn't make sense to me, I don't see how the film is being condescending at all.

But please, be my guest, get a little bit more defensive.

etnlIcarus
January 13th, 2010, 04:07 PM
It drew inspiration from World War II properWhat part of the film could you ascribe exclusively to WW2, apart from the fact that there was a war?

I don't see how the film is being condescending at all.a) it's blunter than my wit at 1.30 in the morning, with only slightly more subtlety of message than Wall-E. b) the story is at best, a first draft. It's not a sophisticated or terribly fleshed-out plot, all the characters have going for them is their moral ambiguity (which is very much in-vogue at the moment and is no substitute for character interaction, or depth of personality or history, regardless) and most of the film just ends up being a bizarre mixture of Dora the Explorer and monster/disaster film. It is dumb and very nearly pretentious (if your implications are at all definitive).

And defensive, no. Bewildered, yes. You seem to be going down the path of suggesting that just because something has external influence, it has depth; that it's instantly more respectable, simply because it happens to draw some meagre influence from the 20th century's most heavily exploited and well-known event/period. Your statement, "Your viewpoint is interesting, given that the film was set in what appeared to be Eastern Europe", is little more thoughtful or contradictory than saying, "Your dislike of <insert crap here> is <insert veiled pejorative here>, given that it contains people and talking".

But please, be my guest, get a little bit more condescending.

Tristam Green
January 13th, 2010, 04:16 PM
What part of the film could you ascribe exclusively to WW2, apart from the fact that there was a war?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe the arms, architecture, rough advances in science of the time, and overall look?

a) it's blunter than my wit at 1.30 in the morning, with only slightly more subtlety of message than Wall-E. b) the story is at best, a first draft. It's not a sophisticated or terribly fleshed-out plot, all the characters have going for them is their moral ambiguity (which is very much in-vogue at the moment and is no substitute for character interaction, or depth of personality or history, regardless) and most of the film just ends up being a bizarre mixture of Dora the Explorer and monster/disaster film. It is dumb and very nearly pretentious (if your implications are at all definitive).

Given that it was built off of a college student's senior project, I wouldn't necessarily expect it to have the same scope as, maybe, The Lord of the Rings or some other similar life's work.

As such, you're entitled to your opinion, caustic as it may be.

And defensive, no. Bewildered, yes. You seem to be going down the path of suggesting that just because something has external influence, it has depth; that it's instantly more respectable, simply because it happens to draw some meagre influence from the 20th century's most heavily exploited and well-known event/period.

Hardly. I was curious as to whether or not your obviously aggressive opinion was rooted somewhat in that it is set in a location similar to your own; a location that was fairly well-ravaged by said event.

Your statement, "Your viewpoint is interesting, given that the film was set in what appeared to be Eastern Europe", is little more thoughtful or contradictory than saying, "Your dislike of <insert crap here> is <insert veiled pejorative here>, given that it contains people and talking".

Do not put words into my mouth, please. Offer me more credit than that. There was no veiled insult, as it's not my style. If I were aiming to insult you, I'd have done so blatantly and without need for any hyperbole.

But please, be my guest, get a little bit more condescending.

I can, but I don't think I really want or need to. I enjoyed the movie immensely, it's clear you didn't, but I don't necessarily see the need to act so mean about it.

HappinessNow
January 14th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Of course the film drew thematic inspiration from Nazi Germany, so what?Are we talking about "9" or Avatar now?

samh785
January 14th, 2010, 04:27 AM
District 9 sucked
if by sucked you mean it was very very good, then yes it sucked :P

etnlIcarus
January 14th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Oh, I don't know. Maybe the arms, architecture, rough advances in science of the time, and overall look?I repeat: which of these qualities can you ascribe exclusively to WW2, and not to the Nazi regime economic and war machines? The moment you advance to and increase the scope of comparison to include WW2, the similarities break down, due mostly the the fact that the only thing the war in the film has in-common with WW2, is they're both easy plot devices.

Given that it was built off of a college student's senior project, I wouldn't necessarily expect it to have the same scope as, maybe, The Lord of the Rings or some other similar life's work.I never said anything about scope. Given that it was a commercially released film, designed for a pretty general audience, I expect, at the least, competent story telling. If the source material is lacking, they should have taken some literary license and fleshed it out, into a more respectable state. If they did, they did a pretty half-arsed job of it. If they didn't, then that's even worse.

As such, you're entitled to your opinion, caustic as it may be.

Hardly. I was curious as to whether or not your obviously aggressive opinion
but I don't necessarily see the need to act so mean about it.Oh spare me. And I have absolutely no relationship with Belarus.

Do not put words into my mouth, please. Offer me more credit than that. There was no veiled insult, as it's not my style.Oh please, your usage of the word interesting was no different to anyone else's, when they clearly disagree with the object or subject. It's no different to describing someone's cooking as, "interesting", or a child's creative endeavours as, "interesting". It's by no means a big deal - if I don't care for your moralising over my opinions or expression, I'm hardly going to turn around and do the same to you - but at least don't try to deny it. On the plus side, you don't appear to have challenged my argument that you never really presented anything much for consideration. That's something, I suppose.

KiwiNZ
January 14th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I repeat: which of these qualities can you ascribe exclusively to WW2, and not to the Nazi regime economic and war machines? The moment you advance to and increase the scope of comparison to include WW2, the similarities break down, due mostly the the fact that the only thing the war in the film has in-common with WW2, is they're both easy plot devices.

I never said anything about scope. Given that it was a commercially released film, designed for a pretty general audience, I expect, at the least, competent story telling. If the source material is lacking, they should have taken some literary license and fleshed it out, into a more respectable state. If they did, they did a pretty half-arsed job of it. If they didn't, then that's even worse.

Oh spare me. And I have absolutely no relationship with Belarus.

Oh please, your usage of the word interesting was no different to anyone else's, when they clearly disagree with the object or subject. It's no different to describing someone's cooking as, "interesting", or a child's creative endeavours as, "interesting". It's by no means a big deal - if I don't care for your moralising over my opinions or expression, I'm hardly going to turn around and do the same to you - but at least don't try to deny it. On the plus side, you don't appear to have challenged my argument that you never really presented anything much for consideration. That's something, I suppose.

" Any topic or discussion that causes problems or drama will be closed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments. Please take those elsewhere. Thanks! "

Thread closed

KiwiNZ
January 14th, 2010, 06:13 AM
After representations I have reopened this thread. @ etnlIcarus and Tristam Green can you please keep your personal debate out of the discussion.

Please keep this thread on topic and according to the banner at the top of the Cafe.

Thanks

Tristam Green
January 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM
After representations I have reopened this thread. @ etnlIcarus and Tristam Green can you please keep your personal debate out of the discussion.

Please keep this thread on topic and according to the banner at the top of the Cafe.

Thanks

Thank you for reopening it. I maintain that I thought this film was extremely good, and although was probably unintentional, homaged one of my favorite cartoons from the golden age of 'toons - one where mice are telling stories at Christmastime, and the idea is that humans no longer exist (wiped each other out during a World War). If I can find the title of it, I will, and perhaps youtube of it as well because it is simply one of my personal favorites.

I'm cool with differing opinions, and I want etnlIcarus to know that I had, and still have zero qualms with his take on "9".

Barrucadu
January 14th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I thought it was ok… not particularly good, not particularly bad.

JSeymour
January 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Went to the local video store to rent "9," tho my wife seemed none too certain of the title. Found "9." "That's a Burton animation, you know." She obviously didn't grok what that meant. Checked the "recently released" menu. Went over and read about "District 9." Brought it over to her. "I think this is probably what you're looking for." "Yeah," she said, "maybe so." Well, we later discovered that "9" really was what she wanted. But District 9 was "okay." (Didn't feel like we wasted our time, but wouldn't watch it again.) I imagine we'll get around to renting "9" someday.

HappinessNow
January 14th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Went to the local video store to rent "9," tho my wife seemed none too certain of the title. Found "9." "That's a Burton animation, you know." She obviously didn't grok what that meant. Checked the "recently released" menu. Went over and read about "District 9." Brought it over to her. "I think this is probably what you're looking for." "Yeah," she said, "maybe so." Well, we later discovered that "9" really was what she wanted. But District 9 was "okay." (Didn't feel like we wasted our time, but wouldn't watch it again.) I imagine we'll get around to renting "9" someday."9" is one DVD that I will be buying for my collection.

Tristam Green
January 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM
"9" is one DVD that I will be buying for my collection.

It's been out for a couple weeks. Go get it :)

barnex
January 14th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Cool, I happened to stumble on this thread when it had exactly "999" views. Sorry for ruining it with this view+post.

HappinessNow
January 14th, 2010, 09:18 PM
It's been out for a couple weeks. Go get it :)Too soon I will wait until the initial price drops.

HappinessNow
January 16th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Cool, I happened to stumble on this thread when it had exactly "999" views. Sorry for ruining it with this view+post.cool!

...nice to see this thread was not allowed to be systematically derailed. :P

JSeymour
January 24th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I imagine we'll get around to renting "9" someday.Update: So we rented "9" last weekend. Like District 9: We enjoyed it well enough that we didn't feel we'd wasted our time or money, but not so much that we'd care to see it again. For us, it was just "okay."

Jim

HappinessNow
January 25th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Update: So we rented "9" last weekend. Like District 9: We enjoyed it well enough that we didn't feel we'd wasted our time or money, but not so much that we'd care to see it again. For us, it was just "okay."

JimI think I may just particularly like this genre of film. :P

Tristam Green
January 25th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I think I may just particularly like this genre of film. :P

Do you actually plan on seeing the movie, or just talking about it, saying "I think I might like it!" over and over again.

Perfect Storm
January 25th, 2010, 06:51 PM
It was okay, for me. But not one of Tim Burton's best IMO. Long way to reach the classics like Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice and Nightmare before Christmas.

/Tim Burton fan

ticopelp
January 25th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Great design, forgettable story.

Tristam Green
January 26th, 2010, 02:51 AM
It was okay, for me. But not one of Tim Burton's best IMO. Long way to reach the classics like Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice and Nightmare before Christmas.

/Tim Burton fan

It wasn't written by, or directed by, Tim Burton :| It...wasn't...his...film.

HappinessNow
January 26th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Do you actually plan on seeing the movie, or just talking about it, saying "I think I might like it!" over and over again.

Not sure what you are talking about, I started this thread after seeing the movie. :p

Tristam Green
January 26th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Not sure what you are talking about, I started this thread after seeing the movie. :p

derp, sorry. currently extracting foot from mouth.

for some reason, i thought you'd started the thread in general interest of seeing the flick :D

pjc007
January 26th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Watched yes (well, the 40 minutes I could stomach).

Liked, no.

-PJC

HappinessNow
January 27th, 2010, 07:49 AM
derp, sorry. currently extracting foot from mouth.

for some reason, i thought you'd started the thread in general interest of seeing the flick :DLOL :p ...nah that was the Smart Phone threads. :D

LightB
January 27th, 2010, 08:10 AM
It was a predictable cartoon. District 9 was more my speed.

HappinessNow
January 27th, 2010, 08:19 AM
It was a predictable cartoon. District 9 was more my speed.

District 9 was also awesome. :p