PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install aside Vista from my hardware setup

aaaabbbb
January 6th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Hi all,

I guess I have an unusual hardware setup that I'd like to install Ubuntu on but I haven't seen instructions for any process that meets my needs (yet). Here's what I've got going:

* A desktop I'd like to install Ubuntu on. It currently has Vista on it's one drive but I can easily repartition it to make room for an Ubuntu partition. It's well past the min-specs but it does not have a (functional) CD drive.
* An external USB drive, FAT32 formatted, that I am not willing to wipe but has more than enough free room to install from.
* A macbook, also with plenty of room, on the local network from which I'd be willing to install.

Is there a dedicated partition install procedure I can use with this setup? The only network install option I saw required a floppy drive (!) and the USB install instructions I found wanted to reformat the drive.

If there isn't then I suppose Wubi is an option. This partition only needs to last about 4 months anyway before the machine goes 100% Windows 7 or Ubuntu (I'm trying it out).

Thanks for any help you can spare...
- D

gordintoronto
January 6th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Another option is to use a USB flash drive. See "Installing Ubuntu on USB drive using Windows" on this web page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent?highlight=(windows)|(fla sh)|(drive)

I think it is best if you have a 2 GB flash drive. It will only work if your computer can be set to boot from a USB drive.

Yet another option is to install VirtualBox under Windows, then install Ubuntu "inside the box." This installation can be done from an ISO.

aaaabbbb
January 6th, 2010, 07:31 AM
VirtualBox. Thats a fantastic idea. Totally missed that option.

A few seconds with google brings up this butt-simple tutorial on VirtualBox sporting Ubuntu on XP:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox

I'll follow that and install from there. Thanks!

- D