PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which to Install? (New build!)

Zyrtec
January 6th, 2010, 03:59 AM
I just built my first computer today, and I've been planning on using Ubuntu for a long time.

I don't know if it matters, but just in case it does, I'll post the specs...

AMD Phenom II 3.0GHz Quad-core Processor
4GB G-Skill Dual Channel 1333 DDR3 RAM
ECS A790GXM-AD3 Motherboard
-Onboard ATI Radeon HD3300
500GB WD Caviar Green HDD
DIABLOTEK 650W PSU

I'm lacking much more on the knowledge in the software side of things. My main question is, should I install 32-bit, or 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10? I've been trying to read around, and it seems that fewer people use the 64bit Ubuntu.

Will I be able to download the same drivers, and get the same functionality with 64 bit? Thanks in advance for helping a noob!

Hi WWGHA

DLoc
January 6th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Check this out. It should help you.
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/11/26/32bit-vs-64bit-ubuntu-that-is-the-question/

cenzorrll
January 6th, 2010, 06:05 AM
good evening fellow new mexican.

32bit and 64bit pretty much work exactly the same (performance wise). the last issue i've seen with 64bit was with flash not quite working right, but it's been fixed.

i would go for 64 bit because it has the potential to wipe the floor with 32bit, notice i wrote "potential". at the moment there's little difference.

you'll also be able to use all of your ram. 32bit can only address around 3.5 gb i think, whereas 64 bit can address a ridiculous amount (terabytes, possibly more, i forget).

Zyrtec
January 6th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the help you guys! I installed 64bit just a bit ago, and everything seemed fine.

I was looking at the system stuff, and I noticed that it said 3.6GB of RAM. Is this normal?

Hi WWGHA :)

cenzorrll
January 6th, 2010, 09:54 PM
all you should need to do is plug run the "hardware drivers" application under system>administration and it will find if you need any proprietary drivers (graphics card, wireless, etc.)if it doesn't find it and still doesn't work (doubt this will be the case) then you may need to install a program that will extract the windows driver and enable it to be used in linux.

but first try plugging everything in you'll be using (you may need to have to usb wireless plugged in at startup) and run the hardware drivers application.