PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how install 9.10 side by side

tn812
January 6th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Hi, I'm trying to install ubuntu side by side with my xp home. But at partition step, setup detects multiple operating systems on my C drive (XP Home & some NT system). And the sidbe by side option (1st option) is not available. I can only erase the entire disk to install. But I don't want to lose my XP. It came preload so I don't have an installation disk to go back.

I have only 1 operating system on my computer, which is XP home ed. I guess Ubuntu detects the recovery partition as multiple system.

Please help, how can I install ubuntu side by side.

DLoc
January 6th, 2010, 04:21 AM
First Hi! I'm new to ubuntu as well. It sounds like you may be running a recovery console from NT and the Operating system is XP. I'm not totally sure about that. But I you can run ubuntu (as a application) using wubi.

tn812
January 6th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Thanks, DLoc, I'm reading more about Wubi and it sounds good so far. I'm not sure how efficient it is as to a full installation, but it sounds like an easy uninstall as well.

I'll keep trying to find a way to dual install first though.

D!cK0
January 6th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I know the side by side option is not available, but have you tried selecting (Free Space - Bottom Option).

That then takes you onto a second partition option page where you may just find the space your looking for.

Try it see if that works.

tn812
January 6th, 2010, 05:31 AM
If I try the 3rd option (Free Space), will I get the dual bootup screen as if dual install? I guess it's probably the same, but good to know.

D!cK0
January 6th, 2010, 05:40 AM
I'm not sure, I'm new to this as well mate. Sorry.