PDA

View Full Version : Installing Microsoft Office 2007... please wait...

Dayofswords
January 6th, 2010, 02:31 AM
*sigh*
today i installed office on my computer on my vista os,

i don't really want it,
i don't like the layout,
and it wasnt cheap(well... ultimate steal deal but still)
but my college class requires it

and no, open office can not be used, it "doesnt have the ribbon layout"

this kinda sucks

not like anyone can use ribbon in another software, Microsoft patented it, knowing them, i wouldnt try to make a ribbon like look...

NoaHall
January 6th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Patents don't count for anything outside of the USA. Open Office will have a ribbon-like interface very shortly. It has caused outrage among the community, as people don't like the ribbon interface.

And you can always use OpenOffice. I don't see why not? It's your computer.

pwnst*r
January 6th, 2010, 02:37 AM
please wait for what.

kernelhaxor
January 6th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I love the ribbon and whole UI of Microsoft Office 2007 .. IMO, the UI is well thought out and very responsive .. I think most people get frustrated when they can't find most of the commands previously found in menus .. but once you get used to it, you'll see u have fast access to most commands and get things done faster ..

your class requires ms office? Do they provide you with a free copy?

Dayofswords
January 6th, 2010, 03:00 AM
your class requires ms office? Do they provide you with a free copy?

nope, though i get windows 7 for free(yet to use) since i'm a cs student

their advice was "use the trial , but might not last till the end of the class"

staf0048
January 6th, 2010, 03:13 AM
You know, I have Office '07 working pretty well under Wine. I think Power Point doesn't work or something, but both Excel and Word seem to work ok. However, I will admit I have not tested it that much. I installed it and have never used it...except to see if it actually loaded. Seems to work just like it would on any Windows box.

Don't know if it's any help, but PlayOnLinux will help you install it on your Linux box more or less hassle free.

FuturePilot
January 6th, 2010, 03:13 AM
please wait for what.

Please wait for an answer.

staf0048
January 6th, 2010, 03:15 AM
please wait for what.

Loading... Please wait.

pwnst*r
January 6th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Loading... Please wait.

Oh. I didn't realize Open Office loaded instantaneously.

Carry on.

Exodist
January 6th, 2010, 03:34 AM
*sigh*
today i installed office on my computer on my vista os,

i don't really want it,
i don't like the layout,
and it wasnt cheap(well... ultimate steal deal but still)

and no, open office can not be used, it "doesnt have the ribbon layout"

this kinda sucks

not like anyone can use ribbon in another software, Microsoft patented it, knowing them, i wouldnt try to make a ribbon like look...
You know most colleges offer Microsoft Academic Alliance, It where you can get a code from the school to go online and download software like, Visual Studio, Win7 and Microsoft Office 2007 for free.. They are in ISOs and you just burn them to disc.

phrostbyte
January 6th, 2010, 03:36 AM
How would they know you are using OOo?

Nerd King
January 6th, 2010, 04:38 AM
1. What Phrostbyte said. How would they know?
2. I've got fairly extensive experience of MS Office in Wine (well actually the Codeweavers Crossover variant) and it's actually fine for most purposes, though crashes slightly more than in Windows, and Powerpoint works but crashes more than the other apps. I'd suggest either that or winxp in a virtualbox with the integration options turned on so it looks like the app's running in linux. It's more reliable that way.

Openoffice is good but the one app they've not really kept up with is Powerpoint. Seriously Openoffice has rather crappy presentation software.

BuffaloX
January 6th, 2010, 04:46 AM

That is insane, and would be outright illegal in some countries.
Luckily it is in mine.

starcannon
January 6th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Loading... Please wait.
That gave me an EverQuest flash back.

Waiting... Please Load.

staf0048
January 6th, 2010, 05:40 AM
How would they know you are using OOo?

In one of my college classes one of the requirements was Office '03. I didn't think they'd ever know I was using Open Office and was correct until right around mid-term when they sent us home with an "add-on" developed specifically for Excel. It was just a simple stats add on, but the prof wanted all of the answers we submitted to use the format from the add on. So, grudgingly, I purchased it. What a waste. I only "really" needed it for half a class. All the other classes couldn't care less what program I used, so long as my work was done on time...

Kingsley
January 6th, 2010, 05:49 AM
It won't hurt for you to get accustomed to Office 2007 and it's Ribbon toolbar. Who knows? You may end up liking it.

Frak
January 6th, 2010, 05:50 AM
In one of my college classes one of the requirements was Office '03. I didn't think they'd ever know I was using Open Office and was correct until right around mid-term when they sent us home with an "add-on" developed specifically for Excel. It was just a simple stats add on, but the prof wanted all of the answers we submitted to use the format from the add on. So, grudgingly, I purchased it. What a waste. I only "really" needed it for half a class. All the other classes couldn't care less what program I used, so long as my work was done on time...
Go to your resources advisor, ask them for an MSDNAA account, go there and get Office.

Exodist
January 6th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I dont see them sending you home to do the work. Most people even computer class users may not have a PC. I think you could have stayed at school and used one of the lab PCs to do your study work, but you elected to go home and purchase excel because you didnt want to stay at school. ;-)

Exodist
January 6th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Go to your resources advisor, ask them for an MSDNAA account, go there and get Office.

Indeed.. Even my redneck college has this...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/default.aspx

Frak
January 6th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I dont see them sending you home to do the work. Most people even computer class users may not have a PC. I think you could have stayed at school and used one of the lab PCs to do your study work, but you elected to go home and purchase excel because you didnt want to stay at school. ;-)
My college required us to have specific laptops (that they furnished). I don't doubt that having a computer was apart of the curriculum items list.

staf0048
January 6th, 2010, 05:57 AM

It was an online stats class. Sure, I could have gone to the school or the library to use their computers, but who wants to take MORE time out of their day when your laptop is right there. I would have spent more money and wasted more time traveling back and forth.

Exodist
January 6th, 2010, 05:57 AM
My college required us to have specific laptops (that they furnished). I don't doubt that having a computer was apart of the curriculum items list.
Yea that they furnished tho.. He mentioned his. But IDK, may be a high end university thing.. ?

Frak
January 6th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Yea that they furnished tho.. He mentioned his. But IDK, may be a high end university thing.. ?
Furnished being I paid them $2,999 for a specially built IBM Thinkpad.

staf0048
January 6th, 2010, 05:59 AM

This would have worked, had I known about it back then.

Exodist
January 6th, 2010, 06:01 AM
It was an online stats class. Sure, I could have gone to the school or the library to use their computers, but who wants to take MORE time out of their day when your laptop is right there. I would have spent more money and wasted more time traveling back and forth.

True,, but they didnt force you. ;)
I have elected to take 2 online classes this semister also and there for I had to install some software on my PC to take those classes. But like you mentioned, just like you could have I could also take my online classes at school.

If anyone does need to use any MS products for classes, I would really suggest pushing your school to join the academic alliance MS is offering. Its free to the school and free to the user. :)

VastOne
January 6th, 2010, 06:04 AM

That be one fine furnished Thinkpad, or not? :confused:

To the OP, I use Virtualbox running Win7 and Office 2007.

Works like a charm

Exodist
January 6th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Speaking of Microsoft Academic Alliance, here is a list of full feature titles which I can download for free and can use as long as you dont use them for business use or sale any software made with them.

Office Groove 2007
One Note 2007
Project Pro 2007
Share Point Designer 2007
Visual Studio .Net 2005 Professional
Visual Studio 2008
Visual Studio 2008 Pro DVD
Virtual PC 2007
Expression Studio 2
Viso Pro 2007
Win7 32bit
Win7 64bit
Win7 Business (32/64bit)

Exodist
January 6th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Ouch, that blows..
My per semester tuition isn't but $945.00!

phillychease
January 6th, 2010, 06:11 AM
You know, I have Office '07 working pretty well under Wine. I think Power Point doesn't work or something, but both Excel and Word seem to work ok. However, I will admit I have not tested it that much. I installed it and have never used it...except to see if it actually loaded. Seems to work just like it would on any Windows box.

Don't know if it's any help, but PlayOnLinux will help you install it on your Linux box more or less hassle free.

hey i have office installed too under wine. i can create new documents and what not but when i open a document it says it cannot be found. to open a document i have to open word and click open. even though its not that hard, it gets annoying after a while.

did u have the same problem?

staf0048
January 6th, 2010, 06:13 AM
True,, but they didnt force you.

Maybe not. It was part of the class requirements tho.

Exodist
January 6th, 2010, 06:17 AM
My college may have easier rules, I do live in the poorest state in the union. :(

Frak
January 6th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Ouch, that blows..
My per semester tuition isn't but $945.00!
My annual tuition is $28,000.

staf0048
January 6th, 2010, 06:23 AM
hey i have office installed too under wine. i can create new documents and what not but when i open a document it says it cannot be found. to open a document i have to open word and click open. even though its not that hard, it gets annoying after a while.

did u have the same problem?

No my issues are different. When I double click a word doc it opens it up in Open Office. If I go the "open with" route, I don't which of the "A Wine Application" options I should choose... If I search for winword.exe, I get an error that there is not enough disk space to open Word.

alexfish
January 6th, 2010, 06:34 AM
You know most colleges offer Microsoft Academic Alliance, It where you can get a code from the school to go online and download software like, Visual Studio,Garbage and Microsoft Office 2007 for free.. They are in ISOs and you just " burn the disc".

Self quoted

VastOne
January 6th, 2010, 06:46 AM
My college may have easier rules, I do live in the poorest state in the union. :(

But it is a beautiful state and rich in many types of history :)

Khakilang
January 6th, 2010, 06:58 AM
I just install Open Office in my friend's notebook. Just ask her to save her work under Office 2000, XP. She seem happy about it and because the teacher don't go around checking their computer. As long as you do your home work. I don't see why you need to pay for something you don't like.

Dayofswords
January 11th, 2010, 06:50 AM
You know most colleges offer Microsoft Academic Alliance, It where you can get a code from the school to go online and download software like, Visual Studio, Win7 and Microsoft Office 2007 for free.. They are in ISOs and you just burn them to disc.

i know about that, they offer xp, 7 and other things, but (for my college at least) not office