PDA

View Full Version : So what's the opinion on tablets?

Vostrocity
January 6th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I'm not talking about old school tablets which were mostly reserved to special uses like college note-taking or hospitals. Everyone in the mainstream tech world has been anticipating a rush of tablet PCs for 2010. Windows 7 is encouraging advances in touch hardware due to its many new touchscreen features. Apple, already successful with touch technology in its iPhone, is hosting an event on January 27th to announce what people have been calling the iTablet (and you know Apple will rock the industry no matter what it does). CES just kicked off today and has already seen a number of tablet announcements (http://www.engadget.com/tag/tablet/).

So what do you think, fad or revolution? :confused:

TheNessus
January 6th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Tablets are the computers of the future. There should be a "netbook" tablet as well (of normal size, 12", 13"), that is also strong enough to handle visual input with ease, and we will have that with intel's new powerful dual cores meant for netbooks. exciting times really.

pwnst*r
January 6th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I love my Lenovo X200 more than any other of my portable devices.

felious_fadger
January 6th, 2010, 02:25 AM
you shouldnt take stuff that the doctor didnt give you.

phawnex
January 6th, 2010, 02:30 AM
it is indeed going to be computer of the future. the apple tablet should definitely be intuitive. and windows has definitely stepped up their game with 7. im surprised actually. i dont like microsoft much, but i messed around with 7 on my friends computer and its pretty nice.

either way... more tablets are gonna come out, as long as they are not bulky and fugly.

hobo14
January 6th, 2010, 02:56 AM
If I didn't need to type I'd prefer a tablet over a netbook, but I do need to type, so I'll stick with netbooks for portable computing.

pwnst*r
January 6th, 2010, 03:33 AM
If I didn't need to type I'd prefer a tablet over a netbook, but I do need to type, so I'll stick with netbooks for portable computing.

X200 gives you both.

Mike'sHardLinux
January 6th, 2010, 03:40 AM
For me, the whole digitizing aspect of tablets still needs a LOT of work.

I bought an HP TX1000 series tablet a couple of years ago, because of it's 12.1" size, not because it is a tablet. I have tried the tablet feature, and hate it. It is very slow, and not terribly accurate. Yes, I know, you have to train it. But I have to slow down considerably for it to keep up, and this isn't practical in a situation when I am taking notes and I can barely keep up.

When/if they perfect the digitizer, I am sure they will be part of the future of computing. I doubt they will be going away any time soon.

pwnst*r
January 6th, 2010, 03:43 AM
again, try the X200. It keeps up with me as fast as I can write in sticky notes, Windows Journal, Outlook, IM, you name it.

Also, I do not work for Lenovo.

Vostrocity
January 6th, 2010, 04:55 AM
you shouldnt take stuff that the doctor didnt give you.
:lolflag:

For me, the whole digitizing aspect of tablets still needs a LOT of work.

I bought an HP TX1000 series tablet a couple of years ago, because of it's 12.1" size, not because it is a tablet. I have tried the tablet feature, and hate it. It is very slow, and not terribly accurate. Yes, I know, you have to train it. But I have to slow down considerably for it to keep up, and this isn't practical in a situation when I am taking notes and I can barely keep up.

When/if they perfect the digitizer, I am sure they will be part of the future of computing. I doubt they will be going away any time soon.
I've tried the TX-series too, the touchscreen is just alright. But as I mentioned, that (along with the X200) is more of the old school kind of tablet. There's still much in the unknown, but the new wave of tablets is aimed not for special use cases but for general purpose multimedia/web browsing. In another word, content consumption rather than content creation (thus lack of hardware keyboard). And since it's for the average Joe, they're focusing on finger touch most likely using capacitive technology, and possibly also multi-touch. In addition, there's been speculation (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/microsoft-to-reveal-hp-slate-tomorrow/) that Microsoft is releasing their own first-party tablet at tomorrow's Microsoft keynote, no doubt to beat Apple to the word.

pwnst*r
January 6th, 2010, 05:07 AM
x200 is old school? LOL?

Exodist
January 6th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I like tablets, I think they are the future of the notebook market in a whole.
I would like to have one that I can stand up on my desk like a monitor and plug a keyboard into when I need to do real typing.