PDA

View Full Version : Privacy OS

Hallvor
January 5th, 2010, 09:02 PM
.. well, not really a new invention or anything. I just made a remaster for my old computer and eventually was very happy with it and decided to share it.

Keywords: Rolling release, LXDE (lightweight), Openbox, privacy and encryption tools, multimedia codecs preinstalled.

I took PCLXDE, turned off all non-essential services to make it boot faster and use less resources, changed the default look and added privacy tools.

It contains these applications and scripts:

Firefox - Web Browser with Flash and Multimedia playback. Scroogle search engine for enhanced privacy, Phzilla extension for anonymous web browsing, and Adblock Plus.
Abiword -Word Processor (Get Open Office script available after hd install)
ePDFView - PDF Viewer
Bleachbit - Cleans up your Computer
Leafpad -Text Editor
Transmission - Bittorrent Client with Blocklist
Pidgin - Instant Messenger (with OTR Encryption Plugin and Privacy Please Plugin)
Skype - Encrypted phonecalls
Truecrypt - Disk Encryption Software
Sylpheed - Email and News Reader (with GPG)
GRDC - Remote Desktop Client
GPicView - Graphic Viewer
Seahorse - Graphical frontend to the GNU Privacy Guard encryption tool
MTPaint - Graphic Drawing Client
Audacious2 - Music Player
VLC - Versatile Multimedia Player
PCMan - File Manager
Simple Backup - Backup Software
MkliveUSB - Install Privacy OS to a USB stick
Xfburn - CD/DVD Burning Software
Gnome PPP - Dial up Client
File Roller - Archiving Software
PCLinuxOS Control Center - Adminstration Tool
LXDECC - LXDE Control Center
AddLocale - Convert LXDE into your language
XPat2 - Card Playing Suite
Grsync - Graphical Rsync Client
Virtualbox Additions added

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/3600/screenshotof.jpg

I made a little webpage here:
http://sites.google.com/site/privacyosproject/

Download here:
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=48c00989bb7f8deb4d5149c8a2f87dc58aa92b16

The livecd will ask you for a password: Log in with username root and password root or as guest with username guest!

All feedback is appreciated. :)

blueshiftoverwatch
January 6th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Did you make sure to edit Pidgin so that it doesn't log all conversations by default?

amitabhishek
January 6th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Nice indeed...congrats!!! Will give it a shot this weekend :).

Hallvor
January 6th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Did you make sure to edit Pidgin so that it doesn't log all conversations by default?

I did not change any of the default settings of Pidgin. If it logs by default, it logs. Thanks for the reminder, though. I`ll fix it for the next snapshot. For now, I`ll remind users to disable it on the project webpage.

Nice indeed...congrats!!! Will give it a shot this weekend.

Thank you! Hope you`ll like it. :)

Stan_1936
January 29th, 2010, 02:27 AM
.. well, not really a new invention or anything. I just made a remaster for my old computer and eventually was very happy with it and decided to share it.

Keywords: Rolling release, LXDE (lightweight), Openbox, privacy and encryption tools, multimedia codecs preinstalled.

I took PCLXDE, turned off all non-essential services to make it boot faster and use less resources, changed the default look and added privacy tools....

WOAH! How the hell did I miss this!!!!

The website is vbery good.

Graphics card driver installation(GeForce 9800).......how would one do this? Is there a hardware driver tool?

mkvnmtr
January 29th, 2010, 03:38 AM
I have used PCLXDE it is a first class distro. I like your modivications but why do I not see No-Script?

judge jankum
January 29th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Gotta grab this and check it out!

Hallvor
January 30th, 2010, 06:09 PM
WOAH! How the hell did I miss this!!!!

The website is vbery good.

Graphics card driver installation(GeForce 9800).......how would one do this? Is there a hardware driver tool?

Yes, you install proprietary drivers from the main menu.

Deirty
July 8th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Can you make a liveCD with VLC, Oprea, Firefox, freenet, KTorrent, truecrypt, proxy programs added into it?

Lucradia
July 8th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Also note that Pidgin doesn't store passwords as encrypted or anything. They're stored as plaintext. Anyone who has access to your computer can get them, no matter if they can login as you or not. all they have to do is popin a live CD, and copy the files.

The pidgin team never plans to rectify this themselves, and has labeled the issue as "open for patches."

metamatt
October 22nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
This project looks really promising. I'd love to check it out, but the torrents are dead and the other source site requires credit card payment. Can someone reseed the torrent?

earthpigg
October 22nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
This project looks really promising. I'd love to check it out, but the torrents are dead and the other source site requires credit card payment. Can someone reseed the torrent?

really? interesting notion of privacy if they require credit card information.

LinuxAdm
February 26th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I think this project is now based on Debian Squeeze. The webpage is the same, but the content is changed:

http://sites.google.com/site/privacyosproject/

Multimedia works out of the box. A major step forward, imho. Not to mention that the torrent is alive.

giddyup306
February 26th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Anyone else see the irony of having a privacy site hosted on Google???

LinuxAdm
February 26th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Anyone else see the irony of having a privacy site hosted on Google???

Maybe. But does it matter?

Quadunit404
February 26th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Four month old thread brought back from the dead. Well, at least it isn't an entire year.

And yes, I do see the irony in hosting a privacy-focused OS on Google Sites :lol:

LinuxAdm
February 26th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Perhaps I wasn't making myself clear enough: Google are real pigs when it comes to Internet privacy. But unless you are running a site on your own server, you are really leaving over your user data to others. That does not only apply to Google. Some data are sensitive and others are not. I could not see anything sensitive on that page at all, so why should the author bother? And most of all, why should you bother?

I also fail to see how any of this is affecting the OS itself in any way.