PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Desktop and 2.6.32-2 Kernel?

JSeymour
January 5th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hi All,

I'm receiving conflicting direction, advice and opinion. Hoping somebody here can shed some light on things.

I've got a machine with an Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop install, and a boat-load of server things. It's to fill a combined desktop/server role. I want to upgrade the weak integrated graphics, ATI Rage XL, to an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro. The #ati and #radeon (IRC) guys are saying the new open-source Radeon drivers, with all the trimmings, would be best. But if you go to the xorg-edgers "fresh X crack" page, it'll tell you you need the 2.6.32 or later kernel. But the latest Karmic kernel is 2.6.31-16 (which I have installed). So a guy says "No problem. Just download the 2.6.32 kernel for your arch, install with "dpkg -i" and never look back." But another guy says "well, that's an unsupported config and may not behave well." To my question "Could I cripple my system installing that?" "You could," was the answer.

Good. Grief.

Somebody here give me some direction?

Thanks!

darco
January 5th, 2010, 09:39 PM
You can d/l a new kernel and what linux does is it keeps your old kernel in case the new one doesnt work out.. You will see that on boot up..I have upgraded my kernel many times and its a great fall back. Once you determined the new kernel works, you can if you want, delete the old kernel.

good luck

darco

JSeymour
January 6th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks, darco, but, so far, it looks like it'll prove unnecessary. I got the card installed and installed the proprietary driver (fglrx), and, so far, everything appears to be running well and smoothly.

Jim