PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install ubuntu netbook remix

badogblue
January 5th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I have tried several times installing ubuntu netbook remix on my netbook and have followed guides step by step but it dosn't work (screen goes black, flashing hyphen). Only thing i might be doing wrong is using an external 320gb hdd that i had previously formated to fat32 instead of a usb pendrive. Is this the problem, note i dont have a pendrive large enough.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

gordintoronto
January 5th, 2010, 09:13 PM
What brand and model of netbook? Have you looked at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

How did you create the hard drive?

badogblue
January 5th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Netbook is samsung nc10 and formatted hdd using dos. cmd

format /FS:FAT32 E:

badogblue
January 5th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Any advice would be most appreciated!

badogblue
January 5th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I am able to intall ubuntu via wubi, is that recommended or not. Most people don't seem to use it!
Will take over 5hrs though.

whych
January 6th, 2010, 02:17 AM
You shouldn't need more than a 1 gig usb stick for the netbook remix. Have you updated to the latest nc10 bios? I found it messes up the live usb, so it's best to use the older bios.
Wubi should also work for the remix version, but I hated the netbook version and use the normal ubuntu when I want a debian distro (my main distro is suse).
You can also try eeebuntu - the interface is nicer than ubuntu remix or any of the others if you are a more power user.
Also, try playing with the boot options given by pressing F4 or F6 on the ubuntu boot screen.