PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a house in Raleigh N.C.! Please chat if you live near.

MetalMusicAddict
February 28th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Actually I bought the house in Knightdale. Took me 15 mins to get to the "city". Ill talk about that in a min. ;)

I went to Raleigh for the past 4 days just to scout out the area, get a feel and all that.
This is my 2nd time to Raleigh but my 1st time being able to look around. I love it. Everything was so nice and new. I covered Cary to Knightdale. I didnt see anything I didnt like except... the speed limit! Jesus you guys drive fast! :)
Everywhere was either 45 or 65. Im doing the limit (which was too fast) and people were passin' me at 60.http://www.kerrazy-torrents.net/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif

So I looked at used houses up to about 200k. I saw alot I liked. At the end of the day though We went to look at 1 new home community. I found a 2200sf for 160k! In D.C. and Baltimore that UNHEARD of.

That was Friday. Saturday tha plan was to look at the house again and put down a contract. We drove around abit and found another community in the same area. We figured, "Why not. Lets give it a look." Wow. Better houses same prices. So sick. I never thought Ide try to buy a new house. I didnt want to move 'till August because I still have to sell my townhouse here. New homes are great because you gotta wait for them to get built, so I have time. :)

I found out today I got the contract so everything is a go. I just have to sell mine but that wont be a problem.

So looks like Im gettin a 2400sf single-family for 180k (thats with our options). This house in D.C. or Baltimore would be 400-500k. Ridiculous.

So cool I cant wait. I plan on gettin involved in local tech issues so Ill need all the Linux heads to support me If I get something going. ;)

Anyway, Im just excited. Had to tell someone. So if you in Raleigh you gettin another linux nut. :)

somuchfortheafter
February 28th, 2006, 01:09 AM
ill be heading to nc state in august i think, I had an internship at RTP this past summer.

fuscia
February 28th, 2006, 01:16 AM
i'm in holly springs. mrs. fuscia and i were just discussing housing prices in other cities (particularly the boston area, where i'm originally from). do stay off the road, though. these people are ****en idiots when it comes to driving.

MetalMusicAddict
February 28th, 2006, 01:22 AM
I did forget to ask something. What is there to do besides shop and eat? Theres a bazillion places to eat and shop but what else is there? What do you like to do?

somuchfortheafter
February 28th, 2006, 01:22 AM
i'm in holly springs. mrs. fuscia and i were just discussing housing prices in other cities (particularly the boston area, where i'm originally from). do stay off the road, though. these people are ****en idiots when it comes to driving.

agreed everyday i went to work i saw at least 3 wrecks.

fuscia
February 28th, 2006, 01:26 AM
I did forget to ask something. What is there to do besides shop and eat? Theres a bazillion places to eat and shop but what else is there? What do you like to do?

lots of inexpensive golf around, and there's always drinking.

edit: forgot about the hurricanes, durham bulls, etc. and the museum is really pretty damn good.

ubunturules
February 28th, 2006, 01:29 AM
I live in Wendell, North Carolina which is right beside Knightdale and around 15 miles east of Raleigh. That is awesome that you live in the town beside me. What's your screen name? I go to Southeast Raleigh Highschool. What school do you go to? O yeah there is a Redhat headquarters in Raleigh too. www.trilug.org which is a Triange Linux Group.

ubunturules
February 28th, 2006, 01:37 AM
nice to see some more linux nuts coming to this part of north carolina. now i won't be the only one anymore.

MetalMusicAddict
February 28th, 2006, 01:52 AM
What school do you go to?
You might wanna re-read the title and 1st post. Then think about that question. :)

TrailerTrash
February 28th, 2006, 05:04 AM
Hello, Im in Winston-Salem NC... Welcome to our high taxed state. :-# :mrgreen:

skirkpatrick
February 28th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I'm in Hickory (in the western foothills) and my SIL is in Raleigh.

The taxes here are less than they were in Ohio. Here, my property tax is lower, I don't pay a city income tax or a school district income tax. Car insurance is higher though.

fuscia
February 28th, 2006, 03:11 PM
compared to taxachusetts, this state is a libertarian shangri-la.

MetalMusicAddict
February 28th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Im not sure how the taxes compare to MD. Guess I shoulda looked at that. Oh well I got a big/low cost house with good schools. Im happy so far.

One thing that sux is that home networking wasnt an option and as of now I cant have it done myself pre-sheetrock. I found out I might be able to twist the site managers arm though. Or was it grease his palm? :)

Oh well 6 months to wait. Also I get to be Mr. Mom. :) Ill still fix computers on the side.

majikstreet
February 28th, 2006, 11:42 PM
lol... can't blame you for leaving maryland.. I'm sure you'll get good money for your house lol... prices have really gone up in the past few years here. anyway.... have fun :D

edit: i wish i could find a lug around here!

MetalMusicAddict
February 28th, 2006, 11:56 PM
The market is down by 3% right now but it shouldnt be a problem. ;)

There is a D.C. LUG and a MD one meets in Annapolis.

majikstreet
February 28th, 2006, 11:59 PM
oh, of course they have to meet in annapolis... so far away lol... i'm in montgomery county.