PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Annoying Karmic

redserpent7
January 5th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I have recently found some time to update Ubuntu from Intrepid to Karmic. Again and just like every other Ubuntu release before it my WLAN did not work and I had to use direct connection and download the missing drivers. However, that is not the issue... The thing is that is really getting on my nerves here and I have only encountered it in Karmic is that when ever I login to Ubuntu
my wireless LAN does not connect automatically to my home network, instead each time I restart the damn thing I have to select my home network from the list of available Wireless networks and then I'll have to type my password (Not the network access key) to connect.... meaning that the profile for that network is set and I'm not sure if this is actually a security feature in Karmic and I don't care, I just want my computer to automatically connect to the preferred network (Dare I say...... like Windows :()....

Come on guys, its been 5 days and not even a comment, there has to be some sort of workaround or fix for this.

labinnsw
January 12th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I suspect you know the basics, but just in case: Have you double checked to ensure that the "Connect Automatically" and "Available to all users" check boxes are checked?

Karmic should connect to your home network automatically, it does on my laptop.

redserpent7
January 13th, 2010, 02:28 PM
ensure that the "Connect Automatically" and "Available to all users" check boxes are checked?

Although I'm pretty sure they are checked... I'll recheck those just to be on a safer ground...

phawnex
January 13th, 2010, 02:43 PM
mine automatically setsup.

but to get it running i had to run around and install the broadcom.

labinnsw
January 15th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Oddly enough, I was carrying out some tests and doing some experiments when my wireless network failed. I connected a cable and that works. I tried a mobile and that works. But the wireless did not work on the PC, laptop or on Windows. They all detected other networks in the area. The conclusion I draw from that is, wireless has failed on the modem.

Did you actually try it on Windows after the fault developed, or was Windows automatically connecting prior to the fault, so you think it still is?