PDA

View Full Version : (another) tv question

nerdy_kid
January 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM
so i have this HDTV that decided to die. The TV is a polaroid TLA-01511C

The speakers would crackle and fuzz continually, even though there were no signs at all of loose wiring or bad soldering on either of them after i took it apart. Whacking the top of the screen would alter the level of the crackles, and if done enough, could get rid of the crackles altogether for a while. The screen glowed an orangish light, but that could be imagination since i am used to my laptop's screen. Then yesterday my dad turned on the screen, and after a couple of seconds the backlight went out. It was just the backlight, as with careful looking, one could see the video still playing on the screen -- just with no backlight. The audio was also still audible. Turning off the screen, and then turning it back on would solve the issue for about 5-15 secs, then it would repeat the matter.
Now, I did some serious digging on this a few days ago (talking 50 tabs on google chrome -- alright 14 tabs.....) and read that:

the audio crackling might be caused by a faulty power board, possibly loose soldering. (http://www.fixya.com/support/t1551801-polaroid_19_tv_tla_01911c_no_picture )
the screen dieing issue might be caused by a faulty capacitor in the power board (http://www.fixya.com/support/t1050384-loss_picture )

read somewhere else that it could be the main board

is there a chance that is the actual backlight? as the whacking probably caused this whole issue...but then what was the crackling from?

these parts are like $80 apiece and i am trying to avoid a trial and error approach to this, as in i want to buy one part and have it fix the issue.

Thanks in advance

sudoer541
January 5th, 2010, 07:01 PM
so i have this HDTV that decided to die. The TV is a polaroid TLA-01511C

The speakers would crackle and fuzz continually, even though there were no signs at all of loose wiring or bad soldering on either of them after i took it apart. Whacking the top of the screen would alter the level of the crackles, and if done enough, could get rid of the crackles altogether for a while. The screen glowed an orangish light, but that could be imagination since i am used to my laptop's screen. Then yesterday my dad turned on the screen, and after a couple of seconds the backlight went out. It was just the backlight, as with careful looking, one could see the video still playing on the screen -- just with no backlight. The audio was also still audible. Turning off the screen, and then turning it back on would solve the issue for about 5-15 secs, then it would repeat the matter.
Now, I did some serious digging on this a few days ago (talking 50 tabs on google chrome -- alright 14 tabs.....) and read that:

the audio crackling might be caused by a faulty power board, possibly loose soldering. (http://www.fixya.com/support/t1551801-polaroid_19_tv_tla_01911c_no_picture )
the screen dieing issue might be caused by a faulty capacitor in the power board (http://www.fixya.com/support/t1050384-loss_picture )

read somewhere else that it could be the main board

is there a chance that is the actual backlight? as the whacking probably caused this whole issue...but then what was the crackling from?

these parts are like $80 apiece and i am trying to avoid a trial and error approach to this, as in i want to buy one part and have it fix the issue.

Thanks in advance

I think Cariboo is a pro when it comes to TVs. I wanted to ask him a question too about repairing your TV on your own. I think ill start another thread since I dont have an LCD TV yet lol+ but I want to find ways to fix it myself or find a cheap repair center to fix it before something happens to it.

cariboo
January 5th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Bad capacitors are a pretty common problem, with most electronics. If you can seemingly solve a problem by banging on the set, then the problem more than likely is bad solder connections, which could also cause the crackling sound you mentioned.

I would suggest that if you are handy with a soldering iron to resolder the the lamp connections.

nerdy_kid
January 7th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Bad capacitors are a pretty common problem, with most electronics. If you can seemingly solve a problem by banging on the set, then the problem more than likely is bad solder connections, which could also cause the crackling sound you mentioned.

I would suggest that if you are handy with a soldering iron to resolder the the lamp connections.

yes, but whacking the screen while it is dead shows no sign of a flicker or anything, which a sort would cause, unless im mistaken. Also there is no flicker during the ~10 secs that it is on. im on a different pc, but when i get back to my laptop ill upload some photos.

nerdy_kid
January 10th, 2010, 09:53 PM
here are the photos, sorry it took so long....

nerdy_kid
January 12th, 2010, 02:02 AM
bump....

markp1989
January 12th, 2010, 02:07 AM
the backlight problem could be cause by a dead inverter, i had it happen in an old laptop, replacing the inverter board got the backlight working as it should (a faulty inverter could also cause the dimming/orange look you mentioned earlier) i dont know if the inverter is part of the power board or if it is seperate, on my laptop in inverter was on its own board .

cariboo
January 12th, 2010, 03:42 AM
The quick thing to do is re-solder all the lamp connections and I would suggest also re-soldering all the connections on the power board. Back in the day when I worked on stuff like that, it was far easier to re-solder everything, then was spending a couple of hours with a magnifying glass looking for cracked solder, plus it's a lot cheaper than purchasing new parts. One other thing, make sure you don't create any solder bridges between components, as all the work you did may end up creating more problems than you started with.

nerdy_kid
January 12th, 2010, 03:22 PM
The quick thing to do is re-solder all the lamp connections and I would suggest also re-soldering all the connections on the power board. Back in the day when I worked on stuff like that, it was far easier to re-solder everything, then was spending a couple of hours with a magnifying glass looking for cracked solder, plus it's a lot cheaper than purchasing new parts. One other thing, make sure you don't create any solder bridges between components, as all the work you did may end up creating more problems than you started with.

thanks, but for one, i suck at soldering :( other thing is, i cant find the lamp connections, i think they are the two wires on the left of the photo i posted, but i would have to disassemble the lcd itself to get at them. And "all the connections on the power board"? i would screw that up SOO bad LOL The power/inverter board is only ~$60 so i think i will probably get that. There is no way i could do all that soldering....