PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ndiswrapper only works when I load and unload the native drivers first

mbabauer
January 5th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I recently received a used laptop that I was going to use for my kids, a Compaq Presario 2100. Everything went fine on the install, however I could not get the WiFi to work. The internal card, a Broadcom BCM4306, was attempting to use the b43legacy drivers, which I understand to be the native driver for this card, but would get all sorts of strange errors in 'dmesg', and would never get a solid connection.

After fiddling with this for 2 days, and reading countless troubleshooting guides, I finally gave up and decided to get it working with ndiswrapper. Everything worked perfect, except I can only get it to work if I first load b43legacy, then load ndiswrapper, then unload b43legacy. If I blacklist b43legacy, and just load ndiswrapper, iwconfig does not report a wlan0.

I ran across this posting (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1042621), and decided to try this, but it also did not work. Plus, with this file in place, any attempt to use modprobe would complain about every line of that file.

I am not sure what to do now. Can anyone help me get this blasted WiFi working?

mbabauer
January 6th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Bump

mbabauer
January 10th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Bump....

Still haven't figured out how to get ndis to work...

mbabauer
January 13th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Bumpity bump bump....

Still no solution to this. Is there no one that can explain why the ndiswrapper only works if I load the b43legacy drivers first and remove them?