PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do i monitor file access ?

QuanTime
January 5th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Karmic 9.10 x64 Gnome.

On my home LAN, i want to be able to monitor what files are being access on my local machine.
I had a quick look at wireshark, but it didnt do exactly what i wanted.

I have a share directory, read-only, and often divx files are streamed directly from it rather than copied first. I want to be able to see what user is accessing what file. Should be a fairly simple task, but im just not sure how its done.

Anyone with clues please ? It can be terminal based, doesnt have to live and constantly updating, just a report. But a prog with a GUI would be useful too.

Thank you in advance.

changingstate
January 5th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I'm guessing Samba audit trails are what you're looking for.

A quick google turned up a random blog post : http://a32.me/2009/10/samba-audit-trail/

See how that works.

QuanTime
January 5th, 2010, 11:17 AM
yer, thats not bad, but id rather not have a logfile. rather just a direct output.

lsof -i

Sorta along the lines, but its not really it still.. That guide has the output results, but if it was a simple command and output, id prefer that to some log file.

Anyone else ? it might be my only option.. Im just used to it from winxp days. And its such a trivial thing, i thought it should be easy on linux.. Weird.

changingstate
January 5th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Oh, ok. Something like smbstatus, perhaps? :)

QuanTime
January 5th, 2010, 11:51 AM
looks like i owe you a beer.. Thats just perfect. The UID im guessing is the user ID.. which i have to manually lookup ? there a shortcut for that too ? :)

SlugSlug
January 5th, 2010, 12:20 PM
smbstatus |grep [file name]

and then smbstatus |grep [pid]

will show you samba user