PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I upgrade from 8.04

bac0926
January 5th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Can I upgrade directly from 8.04 with out going thru 8.10,then 9.04 then finally to 9.10 this link seems to say I have to?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes#From%208.10%20to%209.04 (https://help.ubuntu.com/community
:confused:/UpgradeNotes#From%208.10%20to%209.04)

MelDJ
January 5th, 2010, 07:22 AM
yes. you cant do it. you must upgrade through stages- 8.04>8.10>9.04>9.10

slakkie
January 5th, 2010, 11:57 AM
You can, it is supported by a KDE tool. See also: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KarmicUpgrades/Kubuntu/8.04

This is ONLY for 8.04 to 9.10 since 8.04 is not LTS for KDE users (a shame really).

Cheesemill
January 5th, 2010, 12:43 PM
If you can wait until Lucid (10.04) then you will be able to perform a straight upgrade.

However, IMHO it's always best to do a clean install rather than an upgrade.

alwayshere
January 5th, 2010, 12:47 PM
why upgrade what does 8.04 not do for you ??

slakkie
January 5th, 2010, 01:03 PM
However, IMHO it's always best to do a clean install rather than an upgrade.

why?

Cheesemill
January 5th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Just check the forums and you'll find a lot of people who have problems with upgrades.
If you have a separate /home partition then a clean install can be quicker and you don't lose any of your files/settings.

slakkie
January 5th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Just check the forums and you'll find a lot of people who have problems with upgrades.
If you have a separate /home partition then a clean install can be quicker and you don't lose any of your files/settings.

These forums are not the place to find out if people didn't have any problems with upgrades. If you look at the amount of topics covering installation problems one could draw the same conclusion that installing Ubuntu is a bad idea. This is a support forum, not a "look everything is fine and dandy" (although you can maybe find them in the community cafe/experiences and testimonials). At least in my thread list I cannot find any topic which says my upgrades were successful.

See also: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305924

Users with painless experience are not likely to come here.

You do lose settings when you reinstall. If I would reinstall my server every year I would lose my settings from /etc. With an upgrade I don't have that problem. If you added files to /usr/local/{sbin,bin} you would lose those too. Clean installing also requires you to reinstall all the packages that are not installed by default which you might use. Upgrading doesn't have these downsides, you just upgrade all the packages you have installed without having to anything extra.

Bartender
January 5th, 2010, 02:37 PM
imho it's always best to do a clean install rather than an upgrade.

+1

theozzlives
January 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM
WOW! I'd say if you're not having problems with 8.04, just wait til April and you can do one upgrade and be done with it. On the other hand, a fresh install would allow you to use ext4 at least on your / partition.

lkb3
February 20th, 2010, 11:26 PM
WOW! I'd say if you're not having problems with 8.04, just wait til April and you can do one upgrade and be done with it. On the other hand, a fresh install would allow you to use ext4 at least on your / partition.

<del>
Is that because 10.04 comes out in April? Will 10.04 be LTS?</del>Never mind. Found the answers - yes, 10.04 comes out in April - yes, its LTS.

levlhed
March 17th, 2010, 04:37 AM
I'm still on 8.04 too. I remember the last upgrade being very painful so I haven't been in a hurry to do that again since I'm just fine with everything the way it is!
However, the geek in me is called towards the thrill of new things/etc.
I tried the liveCD and it seemed to be all cool, but after reading the advice to wait until the next one I think I will heed that! And I *won't* be running off to install it the day it is released either...think I'll wait until the first bugs get shaken out!

Thank you!

I know I used too many exclamations!!