PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in UFOs

networm1230
January 5th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I am puting this up to see. If people are opend or closed minded or an Agnostic about UFOs.

I myself have naver seen an UFO. but I consider myself an Agnostic but opend minded.

short story: about two months ago I wos playing video games in the basement when my brother came downstairs vary excited and sade "o my god" dude! I seen a UFO. I began to ask hem what color and shape wos it. he sed it wos like a pancake and the color was Glowing Red for 1 to 2 minits befor it speed off vary vary fast.the vary same day my other brother cam in from being at his frands hous. and at random sad dude! one of my frands just seen a UFO he sad it was Red in coloer.

vary weard!

JDorfler
January 5th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Does it really matter?

staf0048
January 5th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Agnostic. If they do exist, I've never seen one....that is to say I've never recognized or concluded that what I saw was a UFO. However, there have been a few flying objects that I could not identify...but I would not classify them as UFOs in the sense you are inferring.

MasterNetra
January 5th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Yes I believe there are objects that to many are unknown to them. As UFO is merely Unidentified Flying Object. Wither that UFO is a alien spacecraft is a somewhat different matter. Now I believe there are other sentient lifeforms among the stars and a number of which would be in their space age and thus will probably have spacecraft. As for wither or not some of them are visiting us, perhaps. If true then thus far it seems the visits have been mainly if not purely scientific. But don't really matter to much atm, considering we can't really do much about it. I mean if we try to attack them, all they have to do is pretty much leave our atmosphere and dodge or shoot down whatever we shoot out at them (which probably wouldn't be that hard for them to do).

jrusso2
January 5th, 2010, 05:13 AM
I don't believe most of the stories but some people I trust so much they must have seen something I mean, Story Musgrave, Gordon Cooper and Craig Breedlove would not make that stuff up.

steveneddy
January 5th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Unidentified Flying Object

I often see things flying that I can't ID.

But things flying here from another planet?

No way, Dude!

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha.....

FinalCoyote
January 5th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Well there is obviously other life in the universe (in my opinion), but i do not believe in UFOs.

If alien life ever does come near us, they will either ignore us or make contact.

Frankly though, I'm more concerned with defrosting my car than aliens from another planet.

Chronon
January 5th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I certainly believe in Unidentified Flying Objects as I have seen several objects in the sky, which I could not positively identify. From here, one has to make a leap of faith in order to make claims about the identity of a UFO. Some people seem prone to making this sort of leap about all kinds of things. Other people seem more content to remain agnostic about things -- as seems appropriate when one has a limited amount of information.

sudoer541
January 5th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I dont believe in UFOs

sliketymo
January 5th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Beam me up Scotty.

pwnst*r
January 5th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I dont believe in UFOs

So you believe that every object can be identified?

I don't, but that doesn't mean I believe in Aliens and space craft either.

jayze
January 5th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Absolutely.....seen a few of them too over the years...tho unidentified flying object doesnt necessarily mean its visitors from outer space....so who knows!

sudoer541
January 5th, 2010, 08:12 PM
So you believe that every object can be identified?

I don't, but that doesn't mean I believe in Aliens and space craft either.

OMG!!! sorry I meant I dont believe in outside visitors from other planets.
I think the rest of the planets were created to make the earth more balanced right?

pwnst*r
January 5th, 2010, 08:13 PM
You can just be more clear next time and say what you mean right off the bat.

Thanks.

doas777
January 5th, 2010, 08:14 PM
UFOs => no
Aliens => yes

sudoer541

Thanks.

YES SIR!!! I thought UFOs and aliens were the same lol+

MichealH
There are UFO's in the sky and they mostly arent from outer space as UNIDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECTS could mean something made by us thats in the sky becuse its UNIDENTIFIED!

pricetech
By definition, Object that is flying that I can't identify, yes.

Aliens from another world ?? Maybe. I can't say for certain that they don't exist, so I won't discount the possibility. I like to think that somewhere out there, there exists another world where life was created / has evolved, but even Carl Sagan presented the odds of them being able to visit us as pretty slim.

<justkidding>
I think the original poster may have been visited by aliens from the planet "mispellia" however.
</justkidding>

doas777
January 5th, 2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks.

OMG!!! sorry I meant I dont believe in outside visitors from other planets.
I think the rest of the planets were created to make the earth more balanced right?

classic case of connotation (UFOs mean aliens and Agent Mulder) vs denotation (UFO is any flying object whose exact identity is not known to the observer).

KegHead
January 5th, 2010, 08:18 PM
most likely.

KegHead

gjoellee
January 5th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I believe that there are Unidentified Flying Objects, but I doubt there is something that looks like a flying saucer.

jayze
January 5th, 2010, 08:20 PM
thats reminds me of the middle ages when people believed the earth was square and if you sailed too far youd fall over the edge. none of us know and anythings possible..

mvalenti
January 5th, 2010, 08:23 PM
UFO's? is this a new version of Ubuntu?

Chronon
January 5th, 2010, 08:27 PM
UFO is an initialism for Unidentified Flying Object. Those of you who conflate this with any particular terrestrial or extraterrestrial origins are making a leap of faith. See my previous post.

oldos2er
January 5th, 2010, 08:28 PM
http://www.videosift.com/video/Neil-DeGrasse-Tyson-On-UFOs-And-The-Argument-From-Ignorance

Perfect Storm
January 5th, 2010, 08:32 PM
UFO's? is this a new version of Ubuntu?

Ney, another fork: ufontu

KiwiNZ
January 5th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Anything that is not identified is unidentified.

As for intelligent life on other planets ? statistics would say yes, science would indicate yes, is it intelligent life that we can recognize ? maybe not, as the building blocks would no doubt have been a lot different.

Has extraterrestrials visited here ? maybe yes , maybe no . No one knows the answer to that .

doas777
January 5th, 2010, 08:43 PM
UFO is an initialism for Unidentified Flying Object. Those of you who conflate this with any particular terrestrial or extraterrestrial origins are making a leap of faith. See my previous post.

http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Documents/S4B/sem06.html

and not to sink to ad hominem, but 'initialism'?

Exodist
January 5th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Yes I believe there are objects that to many are unknown to them. As UFO is merely Unidentified Flying Object. Wither that UFO is a alien spacecraft is a somewhat different matter. Now I believe there are other sentient lifeforms among the stars and a number of which would be in their space age and thus will probably have spacecraft. As for wither or not some of them are visiting us, perhaps. If true then thus far it seems the visits have been mainly if not purely scientific. But don't really matter to much atm, considering we can't really do much about it. I mean if we try to attack them, all they have to do is pretty much leave our atmosphere and dodge or shoot down whatever we shoot out at them (which probably wouldn't be that hard for them to do).
What you have just said is very very true...

Russia at a somewhat recent conference in regards to the existence of UFOs claims to have on multiple occasions tried to shoot down UFOs. The Russian General said that when firing at the objects, they speed off at mach 5+ and completely out ran the missiles.

The USA still stands firm that UFOs do not exist. Now many think this is a denial from the US as a alien conspiracy cover-up. When the truth be known, top officials in the US government do know about the existence of UFOs. The reason they dont state they know to the public is because like everyone else on Earth. We cant do anything about them. So instead of the US government putting its citizens in a state of panic stating UFOs are real and we cant do anything about them. They just deny the existence and avoid the issue. ;)

alakazam
January 5th, 2010, 08:48 PM
UFO is overwhelmingly associated with Aliens through TV & film.

UK and US hang your heads in shame. :D

Chronon
January 5th, 2010, 08:51 PM
http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Documents/S4B/sem06.html

and not to sink to ad hominem, but 'initialism'?

Why sink to it?

A simple web query should clear things up for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym_and_initialism
======

I am aware of the difference between denotation and connotation, thanks. Are you suggesting that some connotative meaning should be assumed in this case? Otherwise I don't really get the reason for the link you posted.

doas777
January 5th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Why sink to it?

A simple web query should clear things up for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym_and_initialism

fair enough. learn something every day.

as for your initial statement, it is ok to be a literal person and avoid connotation when using words, but you have to understand that when most people use words in conversation (like in a forum) the connotative meaning is generally the one applied. at least in western society there are deep and longstanding cultural ties between "UFOs" and aliens. no leap of faith required, all you need to do is watch a movie or two. the only place that UFO literally means Unidentified Flying Object, is the airforce.

Chronon
January 5th, 2010, 09:05 PM
What I am saying is that when I observe a UFO I am seeing an object in the sky whose identity cannot be positively known beyond a shadow of a doubt. I can forge a possible link to many possible things. When someone looks at an object in the sky and assumes that it is an alien spacecraft it is, most certainly, a leap of faith. They have taken a restricted amount of information and extrapolated that into a certainty.

We construct our individual experiences from limited amounts of information. I'm just saying that it's okay to remain agnostic about these experiences and avoid jumping to a conclusion about a particular explanation for a given experience.

Exodist
January 5th, 2010, 09:17 PM
What I am saying is that when I observe a UFO I am seeing an object in the sky whose identity cannot be positively known beyond a shadow of a doubt. I can forge a possible link to many possible things. When someone looks at an object in the sky and assumes that it is an alien spacecraft it is, most certainly, a leap of faith. They have taken a restricted amount of information and extrapolated that into a certainty.

We construct our individual experiences from limited amounts of information. I'm just saying that it's okay to remain agnostic about these experiences and avoid jumping to a conclusion about a particular explanation for a given experience.
Very well stated.

Many times people see what they want to see, but it may not really be what they are seeing. When doing real UFO research there are two simple rules to follow. 1) If there is doubt, through it out. So basicly if you got a gut feeling something being show to you is fake, trust your gut. It prob is. 2) Always try to debunk and scrutinize every piece of evidence as scientifically as possible, their is more fake evidence out there then real. So when you have removed the fake. The real is even more gratifying.

ElSlunko
January 5th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Yes I believe in Aliens as I'm sure was the OPs original point. It does matter in the grand scheme of things if it can be proven since many beliefs that people go by today are based on ancient practices / beliefs that are based on pre-modern science. It would be the next step in great human discoveries.

pwnst*r
January 5th, 2010, 10:09 PM
YES SIR!!! I thought UFOs and aliens were the same lol+

It's okay, a lot of people make that mistake ;D

doas777
January 5th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Very well stated.

Many times people see what they want to see, but it may not really be what they are seeing. When doing real UFO research there are two simple rules to follow. 1) If there is doubt, through it out. So basicly if you got a gut feeling something being show to you is fake, trust your gut. It prob is. 2) Always try to debunk and scrutinize every piece of evidence as scientifically as possible, their is more fake evidence out there then real. So when you have removed the fake. The real is even more gratifying.

well since we are waxing philosophical about the nature of human perception, ponder this:
nothing you experience is "real". all you experience are interpreted evidence of a given phenomena, not the phenomena itself. people think they "see" things as they are, but this is far from true. the human brain performs in itself most of the mechanics of what we call sight. so can you actually identify anything?

secondly, "identify" has subjective implications. I can see a plane, and say "thats a plane!" but the guy next to me, is not satisfied with that identification, instead saying "that plane is a boeing 777". the guy next to him cares not for brand/models of planes, but is interested in areodynamic design, so he says "thats a fixed-wing jet, optimized for storage". the guy next to him, says "hey, that plane is 72% aluminium", to which the next guy responds "thats meaningless unless you know how much % weighs in 1/8th gravity since I want to build a plane for the moon". finally the cern operator at the end of the row, says "no all your observations are meaningless, unless we know how this relates to the higgs boson".

it sounds nice to say that you observe and avoid judgement about any given phenomena, but in the long run it's a crock. observing Anything involves thousands or millions of assumptions that your subconscious is making for you without your knowledge or consent. as Einstein said, there can never be an objective observer.

Exodist
January 5th, 2010, 11:07 PM
well since we are waxing philosophical about the nature of human perception, ponder this:
nothing you experience is "real". all you experience are interpreted evidence of a given phenomena, not the phenomena itself. people think they "see" things as they are, but this is far from true. the human brain performs in itself most of the mechanics of what we call sight. so can you actually identify anything?

secondly, "identify" has subjective implications. I can see a plane, and say "thats a plane!" but the guy next to me, is not satisfied with that identification, instead saying "that plane is a boeing 777". the guy next to him cares not for brand/models of planes, but is interested in areodynamic design, so he says "thats a fixed-wing jet, optimized for storage". the guy next to him, says "hey, that plane is 72% aluminium", to which the next guy responds "thats meaningless unless you know how much % weighs in 1/8th gravity since I want to build a plane for the moon". finally the cern operator at the end of the row, says "no all your observations are meaningless, unless we know how this relates to the higgs boson".

it sounds nice to say that you observe and avoid judgement about any given phenomena, but in the long run it's a crock. observing Anything involves thousands or millions of assumptions that your subconscious is making for you without your knowledge or consent. as Einstein said, there can never be an objective observer.

Dead on, very well said.

A prime example is Bill from UFO hunters, he thinks everythings a UFO because thats what in his mind he believes in. While the rest of the crew of UFO hunters is more objective and staring at Bill to shut up because is rambling like a 80 year old man.
I like old Bill, but sometimes his search for evidence clouds his judgment from time to time.

I for one have seen a UFO, but this was before I realized what I seen was an UFO. So at that point I think I had a strong objective opinion which lead to my fair assessment of what I seen. When I seen the UFO, I wasnt thinking UFO, flying saucer or ET.

Here is what happened to me and a few buddies of mine.

We was out spot lighting for rabbits one night driving down some dirt roads.
We came across some bright lights off in a field only about 100 feet from the side of the road we was driving down.
We stopped the car and observed the bright lights, at first we all thought it was a group of people on a tractor or something, but we realized this wasnt a tractor but an abject ruffly the size of one and had many lights, some colorfull, most just bright white.
The object started floating vertically upward at a slow pace. So we thought, balloon? But at night? And whats with the lights.
So we followed the object when it started moving eastward.
Noticing as it got above us it was more triangle shapped, at least from the lights design on the bottom.
The object continues a eastward and upward path for about 4 miles, continuing to slowly gain speed.
At one point I was running 75MPH to keep up.
After the object got about 10,000 feet up, it flew off extremely fast into space. Faster then anything I have seen up to date and I have been in the military, around many aircraft. This was so fast the best way to describe it was like going to warp speed on Startrek. I hate to use that example, but thats the best visual I can think of.
Now when it took off, that when we all determined it was NOT a balloon.
But what was it?

I didnt realize until just a few years ago that most UFO sightings are of triangles and when we seen that object it was back 16 years ago.

Cheers,
Exo

doas777
January 5th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Dead on, very well said.

A prime example is Bill from UFO hunters, he thinks everythings a UFO because thats what in his mind he believes in. While the rest of the crew of UFO hunters is more objective and staring at Bill to shut up because is rambling like a 80 year old man.
I like old Bill, but sometimes his search for evidence clouds his judgment from time to time.

I for one have seen a UFO, but this was before I realized what I seen was an UFO. So at that point I think I had a strong objective opinion which lead to my fair assessment of what I seen. When I seen the UFO, I wasnt thinking UFO, flying saucer or ET.

Here is what happened to me and a few buddies of mine.

We was out spot lighting for rabbits one night driving down some dirt roads.
We came across some bright lights off in a field only about 100 feet from the side of the road we was driving down.
We stopped the car and observed the bright lights, at first we all thought it was a group of people on a tractor or something, but we realized this wasnt a tractor but an abject ruffly the size of one and had many lights, some colorfull, most just bright white.
The object started floating vertically upward at a slow pace. So we thought, balloon? But at night? And whats with the lights.
So we followed the object when it started moving eastward.
Noticing as it got above us it was more triangle shapped, at least from the lights design on the bottom.
The object continues a eastward and upward path for about 4 miles, continuing to slowly gain speed.
At one point I was running 75MPH to keep up.
After the object got about 10,000 feet up, it flew off extremely fast into space. Faster then anything I have seen up to date and I have been in the military, around many aircraft. This was so fast the best way to describe it was like going to warp speed on Startrek. I hate to use that example, but thats the best visual I can think of.
Now when it took off, that when we all determined it was NOT a balloon.
But what was it?

I didnt realize until just a few years ago that most UFO sightings are of triangles and when we seen that object it was back 16 years ago.

Cheers,
Exo

sounds like a very interesting evening. Wish I could have been there!

Cheesemill
January 5th, 2010, 11:23 PM
thats reminds me of the middle ages when people believed the earth was square and if you sailed too far youd fall over the edge. none of us know and anythings possible..

Not true.

People have thought that the earth was spherical for at least 2000 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

forrestcupp
January 5th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Did you know that UFO stands for Unidentified Flying Object? That hasn't been stated yet in this thread. :)

Think about this. UFOs can't exist. If you see a UFO and call it a UFO, you have identified it as a UFO, so it's not unidentified anymore. If you don't see a UFO, then there is nothing to identify, so there is nothing that is unidentified.

Therefore, UFOs cannot exist. ;)

Chronon
January 5th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Not true.

People have thought that the earth was spherical for at least 2000 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

Eratosthenes got quite close to the modern, accepted value in the 3rd century BC.

However, it seems that many (probably most) people in the Middle Ages believed in a flat Earth due to the influence of the Holy Roman Empire's teachings.

TheNessus
January 5th, 2010, 11:35 PM
People just don't know what UFO means, don't they?
since when is a unidentified flying object = visiting aliens?

Anyway - I do believe aliens exist.
But... I do not believe they visit earth, or even know about it, or care.

derekeverett
January 5th, 2010, 11:35 PM

Oh I think it will matter to you when the invasion happens and you are forced to slow dance with them day & night.

We must prepare for war.

pwnst*r
January 5th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I for one have seen a UFO, but this was before I realized what I seen was an UFO.

So you knew what it was the first time you saw it? Then it was never a UFO to begin with.

L4U
January 5th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Do you believe in UFOs
Yes, but just the top secret military kind. ;)

Shpongle
January 5th, 2010, 11:45 PM
yea , im sure they do considering the size of space. see there was a floating pyramid over Russia this year!, youtube it if your interested. I cant explain it

Chronon
January 5th, 2010, 11:47 PM
yea , im sure they do considering the size of space. see there was a floating pyramid over Russia this year!, youtube it if your interested. I cant explain it

Perhaps it would be better to say that you saw a video on YouTube that depicted a floating pyramid over Russia. Your phrasing makes it sound like a claim about reality instead of a statement about your own observations.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 5th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Chuck Norris can identify anything (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDQQANYwlMc). Therefore, UFOs do not exist.

KiwiNZ
January 5th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Aliens exist I have seen them in work Fridges

MaxIBoy
January 5th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I do believe that sometimes we are unable to identify flying objects, hence "Unidentified Flying Object."

Do I think that we are frequently visited by intelligent extra-terrestrials? Maybe. However, there is no evidence to indicate that this is true. So it is almost certainly not happening.

Zoot7
January 5th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Taking the definition literally, sure, there's plenty "UFOs" around the place.
However taking the colloquial association of them being associated with beings from another planet visiting our world for their own purposes, now that I don't believe for a second.

That said, I do believe there is other life in the Universe, we (as a race) are just too small and insignificant in the grand scope of things to be unique in that regard.

pwnst*r
January 5th, 2010, 11:59 PM

No, link it.

Shpongle
January 6th, 2010, 12:12 AM
No, link it.

the time it took to write that you could have opened a tab and youtubed it ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14f7cosjR9w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO8RwdLtdfw&feature=fvw

doublewitt
January 6th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Well, I believe that we are definately not "alone" in this great big universe. Why would anyone believe intelligent life is unique to Earth...? There could be ufo's visiting Earth for reasons unrevealed... however, what I find "funny" about all the ufo stories, is that there is never any TANGIBLE evidence.

I was just viewing this video a couple of months ago...
http://www.factualtv.com/documentary/Real-Flying-Saucers

VastOne
January 6th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I would hope that there is a Prime Directive out there and that any "alien" being is following it....

If I were in their shoes (sandals?) I would stay as many light years from here as possible....

If we cannot help one another any better than the current state, would you want to risk your whole being on getting to know we aliens?

I think not

sudoer541
January 6th, 2010, 01:04 AM
you should start a poll!

Exodist
January 6th, 2010, 01:46 AM
sounds like a very interesting evening. Wish I could have been there!
Wished I had a video recorder. :(

Exodist
January 6th, 2010, 01:53 AM
So you knew what it was the first time you saw it? Then it was never a UFO to begin with.
Nah.. hell I thought it was farm equipment, then a hot air balloon with a lot of lights. I was confused as you could get. Only things I was damn sure about was it was silent, had many lights, floats vertically and can fly over well above super sonic speeds.

I had to do research after the incident to come to the conclusion that it was a UFO.
When we first seen it, before it start floating upwards and flying off. We was all with-in rock throwing range.

I am not saying ET stopped to collect shrooms off cow patties, it could have been military. I only can confirm what I seen. But sadly didnt have a video cam. :(

MasterNetra
January 6th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Well there is obviously other life in the universe (in my opinion), but i do not believe in UFOs.

If alien life ever does come near us, they will either ignore us or make contact.

Frankly though, I'm more concerned with defrosting my car than aliens from another planet.

Not necessarily. Some may come to study life on earth as well as the earth in general. Giving the fact that earth supports life, its unlikely a race will simply ignore our world completely. Plus our cities scream the existance of a civilization(s) they may also be curious just how far along we are and wither or not if we will become a threat to them down the road. Besides what makes you think some haven't established contact. Its unlikely most governments will admit this wither its true or not.

Exodist
January 6th, 2010, 02:02 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14f7cosjR9w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO8RwdLtdfw&feature=fvw

Carter had a few issues delivering the mothership to Russia, she sent an email stating it was delivered safely and managed to kill another Ball all in the time span of one hour. :)

pwnst*r
January 6th, 2010, 02:09 AM

Pot meet kettle.

Oh, and thanks. Pretty fake if you ask me.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 6th, 2010, 02:19 AM
As far as Aliens form space, I do not think it is very likely. I would be more inclined to believe they were Earthlings in time machines from our future. That would explain why they would not what to make contact. They would not what to alter the time-stream haphazardly. When I see or meet one, then I will believe.

:lolflag:

networm1230
January 7th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Beam me up Scotty.

vary funny! it's spaceballs '_' thank you

networm1230
January 7th, 2010, 12:10 PM

god point!

As I always say "you never know"

I think that it matter vary much to find other humens race. or others like us would be amazing

networm1230
January 7th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Did you know that UFO stands for Unidentified Flying Object? That hasn't been stated yet in this thread. :)

Think about this. UFOs can't exist. If you see a UFO and call it a UFO, you have identified it as a UFO, so it's not unidentified anymore. If you don't see a UFO, then there is nothing to identify, so there is nothing that is unidentified.

Therefore, UFOs cannot exist. ;)

Introesting and informative

networm1230
January 7th, 2010, 12:54 PM
All I can say is wow!. I did not think that anyone would be as intrigued in UFOs. I wish that I could write all of you who responded to my thread.

Thank you all for your respons. keep tham coming! '_'

As I always say. "you naver know!"

Thank you all

last1
January 7th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Believing that we are the only form of intelligent life in an infinite universe is incredibly small minded, so I am certain that aliens exist.

minerbog
January 7th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Believing that we are the only form of intelligent life in an infinite universe is incredibly small minded, so I am certain that aliens exist.

I would have to agree :)

sanderd17
January 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM
You can believe in aliens or you can't but you can never prove it because there's even no proof of somthing outside of our own minds.

Descartes strubled when saying that only matter could think :p

tom66
January 7th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Unidentified flying objects? Sure, there's plenty of *them*.

But aliens/little green men in them? No. I don't believe in any alien abduction stories, because apparently nearly 2000 people get abducted every day. I'm sure someone would notice all that saucer traffic. I believe there's a more rational explanation before assuming "aliens did it."

halovivek
January 7th, 2010, 01:40 PM
We are not alone dear :)

Paqman
January 7th, 2010, 02:11 PM
In the Middle Ages, people thought they saw werewolves and dragons. These days they think they see UFOs and aliens. I don't know why it happens, but it does.

If you actually look into the science and engineering behind interstellar communication, sending a tin box full of people is a ludicrous and highly inefficient way to do it. Any advanced alien civilisation would be far more likely to probe us with nanomachines or a software AI then to ship actual bags of meat across the stars. It's much more efficient to send small to low mass explorers that can move at or close to the speed of light and don't need to breathe, eat or excrete.

slakkie
January 7th, 2010, 02:17 PM
UFO's no, other planets harboring life: YES.

slakkie
January 7th, 2010, 02:19 PM
In the Middle Ages, people thought they saw werewolves and dragons. These days they think they see UFOs and aliens. I don't know why it happens, but it does.

If you actually look into the science and engineering behind interstellar communication, sending a tin box full of people is a ludicrous and highly inefficient way to do it. Any advanced alien civilisation would be far more likely to probe us with nanomachines or a software AI then to ship actual bags of meat across the stars. It's much more efficient to send small to low mass explorers that can move at or close to the speed of light and don't need to breathe, eat or excrete.

Yes, but we are still human and we want to see it with our own eyes, and make first contact and and and. But you are right. On the other hand, it would be cool to have a human goto some distant planet and setting up communications with other lifeforms... Too bad it is still sci-fi atm.

Ruiizu1990
January 7th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Aliens- very likely
U.F.Os- never seen one

Paqman
January 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Yes, but we are still human and we want to see it with our own eyes, and make first contact and and and. But you are right. On the other hand, it would be cool to have a human goto some distant planet and setting up communications with other lifeforms... Too bad it is still sci-fi atm.

IMO that's unlikely to ever happen, unless we find a way to digitise consciousness and transmit ourselves.

Lightstar
January 7th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I don't believe, I don't disbelieve.

I do hope to see something like in those movies, UFO alien spaceship. I think it would make our mundane living alot more exciting.

But I do believe there is life elsewhere, it's scientifically impossible that we are the only ones.

juancarlospaco
January 7th, 2010, 08:41 PM
UFO's uses Ubuntu on AlienWare hardware...
:)

alexfish
January 7th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Yes

Now = Ubuntu Free and Open

drawkcab
January 8th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Yes I believe there are objects that to many are unknown to them. As UFO is merely Unidentified Flying Object. Wither that UFO is a alien spacecraft is a somewhat different matter.

Indeed.

gsmanners
January 8th, 2010, 05:29 AM
I don't understand the need to connect to other believers. Whether I believe shouldn't really make a difference, considering that (if you assume that "aliens" exist) they clearly don't want their presence widely known.

If you were an "alien", would you really want some borderline retarded creatures to know of your existence?

As for the matter of life on other planets, the issue is a totally separate one. Only the closed-minded would assume that "aliens" must be from some other planet. In fact, the likelihood is far greater that "aliens" would be from this world rather than some other, considering the vast distances between stars, the vast differences in how long other potential worlds have already existed, and the extremely short lifespan of your average species (compared to the lifespan of a world).

magmon
January 8th, 2010, 05:59 AM
I dont believe in UFOs

In an infinately expanding universe with potentially infinate planets in infinate relations to their stars, it is highly illogical to say that no other intelligent living organisms exist in this universe. Out of these infinate situations, potentially infinate intelligent organisms have formed. Many of these organisms could be millions or billions of years ahead of our own species. This could result in advanced technology including means of light speed space travel or teleporting. Thus, our planet and others with intelligent yet primitive life forms could be a galactic zoo.

Also, pyramids. It would take far too many jews to make those in a lifetime. ALIENS.

Khakilang
January 8th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Yeah 1 alien borrow my handphone. ET call home, LOL. I believe there is alien I suppose. Look up in the sky at night its like infinity.

magmon
January 8th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Yeah 1 alien borrow my handphone. ET call home, LOL. I believe there is alien I suppose. Look up in the sky at night its like infinity.

It is quite literally infinity.

pwnst*r
January 9th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Also, pyramids. It would take far too many jews to make those in a lifetime. ALIENS.

lol, you funny.

t0p
January 9th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I don't know if aliens are visiting the Earth. I think it's reasonable to believe that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe; but if aliens are coming to Earth and drawing crop circles, mutilating cattle and abducting loners whom nobody believes, then I have to wonder what the heck they're up to. I think that if an alien race developed faster than light travel and came across our world they would avoid us, make contact or invade/destroy the Earth. Not play the fool like the saucer flying idiots of popular culture.

Then again, I remember reading a comic book in which there was a story about teenage aliens coming to Earth and messing about to punk us. I can believe that a bunch of alien delinquents might carve up a cow with their lasers for a laugh.

BinaryFeast
January 9th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I guess it is theoretically possible within the boundaries of science for there to exist what is called UFOs. Though that doesn't make me less skeptical against claims to have ever seen one.

J V
January 9th, 2010, 02:16 AM
UFO: yes
Aliens: no

Chronon
January 9th, 2010, 02:41 AM
It is quite literally infinity.

That is only a conjecture. It is not known whether the universe is spatially finite or not.

mamamia88
January 9th, 2010, 02:54 AM
i believe in aliens. with the infinite size of the universe it just seems the most likely scenario.

yester64
January 9th, 2010, 04:22 AM
I believe that there other forms of life somewhere in the universe.
It is highly probable and one can not dismiss it as not possible.
That said, i do not think that we were visited by any lifeform as of yet, but even that we can not cross out since we haven't found any fact which eliminate this possibility.
But i find the question kinda funny, since you ask me if i believe in UFO's which would mean that it is a religion.
How can someone believe in a spacecraft?

It is preposterous to assume that we are the only lifeform in the universe. Maybe that answer the question.

JDShu
January 9th, 2010, 04:23 AM
We don't know if the universe is infinite or not, and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the mass of the universe is finite. Hence, there probably aren't an infinite number of planets, especially if the universe has a beginning and end. Now think aboout the probability of life existing on a planet, which is probably very very low. The existence of extra-terrestrial life may not be as certain as people on this board think. It would depend on the number of planets (and this could include the dimension of time), and the probability of life.

yester64
January 9th, 2010, 04:39 AM
We don't know if the universe is infinite or not, and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the mass of the universe is finite. Hence, there probably aren't an infinite number of planets, especially if the universe has a beginning and end. Now think aboout the probability of life existing on a planet, which is probably very very low. The existence of extra-terrestrial life may not be as certain as people on this board think. It would depend on the number of planets (and this could include the dimension of time), and the probability of life.

If you assume that there are billions of galaxies out there and if you further assume that there are planets which lay in the goldy zone, it may be not so unlikely to find life.
The questions is only what life there is. It might be only a bacteria, but it would be nevertheless life.
Also we can not see the whole universe in its entirely, since we do not see beyond the horizon of the visible light. Meaning there is a barrier which we can not pass.
So it does not constitute to assume that there is simply a low change of life somewhere else.
It might be that we never make contact or never find life.

JDShu
January 9th, 2010, 05:17 AM
If you assume that there are billions of galaxies out there and if you further assume that there are planets which lay in the goldy zone, it may be not so unlikely to find life.
The questions is only what life there is. It might be only a bacteria, but it would be nevertheless life.
Also we can not see the whole universe in its entirely, since we do not see beyond the horizon of the visible light. Meaning there is a barrier which we can not pass.
So it does not constitute to assume that there is simply a low change of life somewhere else.
It might be that we never make contact or never find life.

My point is that we don't know how probable life occurring on any particular planet is. I am not saying its impossible, but that it is not certain and that taking the position that extra-terrestrial life does exist is as much a logical leap as taking the position that it doesn't.

MaxIBoy
January 9th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I do think that there are probably intelligent extraterrestrial life forms. I don't think that they matter to us, as they have practically zero chance of effecting us in any way.

That is only a conjecture. It is not known whether the universe is spatially finite or not.
It is known that the Universe is finite, and this has been understood since Big Bang theory became accepted. However, we can only see 13.7 billion lightyears in any given direction. Anything beyond that cannot be visible because of the speed of light. (The Universe is 13.7 billion years old, and the oldest possible light would have taken 13.7 billion years to get here, thus the maximum 13.7 billion lightyear distance.) If you tried to travel beyond this boundary, you'd be racing the expansion of the Universe, which is a race you cannot win without exceeding the speed of light (also impossible.) So the Universe is finite, but it's impossible to see all of it, totally against the laws of physics.

yester64
January 9th, 2010, 05:28 AM
My point is that we don't know how probable life occurring on any particular planet is. I am not saying its impossible, but that it is not certain and that taking the position that extra-terrestrial life does exist is as much a logical leap as taking the position that it doesn't.

I've got your point. It just sounded..err... negative in a way. Perhaps my standing is more that we are not alone in the universe. Of course there is no agreeing or disagreeing since we do not know to this day.
Perhaps we will never know. Thats to future generations to discover.

JDShu
January 9th, 2010, 05:33 AM
LOL well, I admit to going on the NASA website once in a while and that when they say that there is something "exciting" they are about to reveal, I picture them telling the world that they found aliens. That would be hilarious.

MaxIBoy
January 9th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Nah.. hell I thought it was farm equipment, then a hot air balloon with a lot of lights. I was confused as you could get. Only things I was damn sure about was it was silent, had many lights, floats vertically and can fly over well above super sonic speeds.

I had to do research after the incident to come to the conclusion that it was a UFO.
When we first seen it, before it start floating upwards and flying off. We was all with-in rock throwing range.

I am not saying ET stopped to collect shrooms off cow patties, it could have been military. I only can confirm what I seen. But sadly didnt have a video cam. :(
In the dark, it's almost impossible to judge distance or speed correctly. See this article for an example:
http://www.asktog.com/columns/009mentoys.html

Just one of the tasks of learning to fly involves learning to overcome landing strip illusions. From the air, runways have a tendency to look alike. For example, last weekend I flew into two airports in succession. One was the former Castle Air Force Base in California, home for years for a fleet of B52 bombers. The runway is 11,000 feet long and 150 feet wide. The next airport was a tiny private field at Harris Ranch, where the runway is a 2800 feet long, but only 30 feet wide.
Illusion #1. When you look down from high in the air, the Harris Ranch runway tends to look longer, because, proportionally, it is long compared to its width.
This illusion seems silly unless you've experienced it. After all the runway at Castle Air Force Base is almost two miles long! The thing is, you see such a runway from a lot further off, when it fills just about as much of the aircraft's windshield as the much smaller field does by the time you're close enough to spot it.
Illusion #2. The next illusion kicks in as you approach the runway. Near the ground, landing at Castle makes you feel like a cockroach landing on a freeway. The runway just keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger, and you still haven't touched down yet. You have a tendency to turn off the gas when you are still way up in the air. ("I must be down!") This is a bad thing.
Harris Ranch, on the other hand, makes you feel like Godzilla. You touch down when the picture out your window looks just like the field at Castle did when you were still 100 feet in the air. Very disorienting. Very dangerous. Easy to fly the plane right into the ground.
This illusion, too, seems difficult to imagine until you experience it. When I was first starting out, my instructor, Jim Schmidt, alias The Comedian, told me to land at Half Moon Bay South, easily spotted through our aircraft's windshield. I lined up on said runway perfectly, using the hangers that boardered the field to judge my altitude and distance. But as I approached the runway, it just refused to get bigger. Down and down I went, watching the altimeter dive toward sea level, and yet the runway continued to appear as in minature. Then, about the time I became eye-level with a rather bored looking cow, Jim finally told me to "go around."
"Ha, ha," said Jim, "That's actually an airport for radio-controlled model airplanes. Those hangers are only three feet high. The runway is four feet wide and 50 feet long. You would have crashed and burned! Ha, ha, ha, ha."
Some flight instructors have weird and twisted senses of humor. Choose wisely.

You probably did see something. It just wasn't likely to be a supersonic VTOL flying saucer. Maybe a helicopter, or some military aircraft. If you were doing 75 in your car on a country road, the road noise might have hid the sound of its engines. It might even have been a truck with lights on it, going steeply uphill:
http://www.fordf150.net/images/articles/cab-marker-lights.jpg. If it was very dark, that could match your description. And a big truck could go faster than 75 in a grass field.