PDA

View Full Version : can I make XFCE default on netbook remix?

linuxhippy
January 5th, 2010, 02:35 AM
can I make XFCE default on netbook remix? I just bought a netbook with a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix and am used to the snappy desktop of XFCE...can I use this on a netbook?

kerry_s
January 5th, 2010, 03:05 AM
of course, just change it at the login menu.

linuxhippy
January 5th, 2010, 11:41 AM
that's what I was hoping...I'm just using the live version off usb and it's slow on a big desktop pc. So does the netbook remix of Ubuntu use the same repos as Ubuntu or do I need to use stripped down versions of programs I want?

kerry_s
January 5th, 2010, 05:46 PM
same repos its still all ubuntu.

snowpine
January 5th, 2010, 05:51 PM
This will give you the Xfce desktop:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Then, you can log out and choose Xfce from the login screen.

If the computer is brand new to you, you might consider a fresh reinstall of Xubuntu. That way, you won't have all the Netbook Remix stuff taking up space on your hard drive. (Obviously if you have a big hard drive, you don't need to worry about it... my netbook only has 8gb so I try to keep it lean and mean.)

(edit) the only "catch" is if the current OS is factory pre-installed with special drivers... then you might not want to do a fresh reinstall. Which netbook is it?

linuxhippy
January 5th, 2010, 06:10 PM
It's a 160 GB System 76 netbook (Intel Atom). I got it off ebay-it's a little over 4 months old. The guy selling it said he just did a fresh install of ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix by wiping the drive and doing a live usb install from the downloadable iso file. I want to make several partitions on it so that I can install xubuntu next to it and see which I like better.

snowpine
January 5th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I want to make several partitions on it so that I can install xubuntu next to it and see which I like better.

Waste of hard drive space. Netbook Remix and Xfce are simply two different desktop environments over the same core system. You can switch between them from the login screen; separate partitions are not necessary. With a 160gb hard drive, no worries. :)

linuxhippy
January 5th, 2010, 10:01 PM
that makes sense-the desktop remix is just another GUI. I'll just add XFCE to that and all should be good. The netbook should come by UPS tomorrow. I'm just making plans :)

Thanks for the help!