PDA

View Full Version : With googles chrome is anyone else getting excited?

deathbyswiftwind
January 5th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Google chrome is no new story to the linux world. They have been working on it for a bit now. But what really excites me is if Googles online workplace takes off then linux will stand on a fair playing field among mac and windows. To me seeing another big company take the measures to bring more software to the linux desktop is a good thing but with it being google itself that makes it all the better. Since we raised googles eyebrow enough for them to make us a browser just imagine what else will come along. A start is a start no matter what it is but a google start is pretty sweet imo. What do you think?

noelvh
January 5th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Hi I am not as happy as you about this. Don't get me wrong I love Google and there products. I have my own Google apps domain, and have been using gmail, google docs, picasa, and other stuff from them. I think this will dumb down OSs, and there fore there will be a lack in new powerfull OSs. This may be good for a netbook, but NBR ubuntu is all ready doing that.

Noel

k64
January 5th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I have run Google Chrome OS myself (full throttle, on my netbook's 8GB SSD) and have to say, it's pretty impressive - for a netbook OS. However, that's just the beginning. Linux distributions based on Chrome OS will probably one-up Chrome OS to the point of making power users and gamers interested as well. Soon the dominoes will fall on M$.

That said, the Linux distros based on Chrome OS will probably include stuff Chrome OS lacks - such as hard drive support and a full desktop. I don't see Chrome OS as a crippling of open source software. I see it as a blessing - and as a booster for Linux.

adeypoop
January 5th, 2010, 02:07 AM
I'm not really excited at all to be honest, I have no interest in an OS that is just a web browser, I prefer to be able to do more than just using 'the cloud' with my netbook. What happens to it if there is no internet connection? can you do anything with it?

pwnst*r
January 5th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I'm not really excited at all to be honest, I have no interest in an OS that is just a web browser, I prefer to be able to do more than just using 'the cloud' with my netbook. What happens to it if there is no internet connection? can you do anything with it?

I'm willing to bet that 98.35% of users don't use the computer WITHOUT an internet connection anyway.

MasterNetra
January 5th, 2010, 02:33 AM
I'm willing to bet that 98.35% of users don't use the computer WITHOUT an internet connection anyway.

+1 though idk about 98.35% that maybe a bit higher then actual.

pwnst*r
January 5th, 2010, 02:35 AM
sorry.

97.64%

Marlonsm
January 5th, 2010, 02:45 AM
sorry.

97.64%

Maybe in developed countries. Here in Brazil until a few months ago the fastest internet connection we had (in my city) was 1Mbps and it was very expensive, now there is a new ISP here with a "blazing fast" 3Mbps at an accessible price and up to 12Mbps if you can pay for it. And this is in a not-so-small city in the richest state of Brazil. So internet is not THAT widespread yet.
And I don't think people would like to have all their files in the cloud, I still trust my cheap HDs more than Google's servers. I do keep some files in the cloud, but I have local backups.

xuCGC002
January 5th, 2010, 02:45 AM
sorry.

97.64%

I'm pretty sure it's 96.57%, but I could be wrong.

MasterNetra
January 5th, 2010, 02:51 AM

lol I would be surprised if it was more 75%

lovinglinux
January 5th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Google chrome is no new story to the linux world. They have been working on it for a bit now. But what really excites me is if Googles online workplace takes off then linux will stand on a fair playing field among mac and windows. To me seeing another big company take the measures to bring more software to the linux desktop is a good thing but with it being google itself that makes it all the better. Since we raised googles eyebrow enough for them to make us a browser just imagine what else will come along. A start is a start no matter what it is but a google start is pretty sweet imo. What do you think?

My English is not so good, but it seems you are talking about Google Chrome web browser and are not aware that there is already an entire OS called Google Chrome OS, which is based on Ubuntu and uses a special version of Google Chrome web browser as the interface for everything.

See http://www.google.com/search?q=Chrome+OS+site%3Aubuntuforums.org

kilosan
January 5th, 2010, 03:49 AM
google is bringing its software to linux for the sake of its google os. and that google os will just out number windows users, so its a good thing.

pwnst*r
January 5th, 2010, 03:53 AM

You're wrong.

k64
January 5th, 2010, 04:08 AM
ROTFLMAO, Chrome OS is the Crossroad to bring Linux to the masses!

Chrome OS by itself may not be innovative to the least degree, but other Linux distributions could easily fork off of Chrome OS and one-up it. The result of this will be that Linux will have reached the masses. Why not be happy about that?

Nerd King
January 5th, 2010, 04:09 AM
ChromeOS doesn't enormously appeal to me, but in terms of it being the trojan horse to let proper linux in it could be interesting if it gives people an idea about computers having something other than windows and mac os. That said, I get the feeling that Google intends chromeOS devices to be just that, devices, and not really true computers as we know them. I suspect google wants to create a new class of device, and if that's the case then it probably won't change people's mindset that much.

Exodist
January 5th, 2010, 04:10 AM
With googles chrome is anyone else getting excited?
Nope, I cant stand it.

xuCGC002
January 5th, 2010, 04:11 AM
You're wrong.

At least I was sure of it.

Skripka
January 5th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Nope, I cant stand it.

I want to try Arch Hurd. Screw Chrome.

k64
January 5th, 2010, 04:15 AM
ChromeOS doesn't enormously appeal to me, but in terms of it being the trojan horse to let proper linux in it could be interesting if it gives people an idea about computers having something other than windows and mac os. That said, I get the feeling that Google intends chromeOS devices to be just that, devices, and not really true computers as we know them. I suspect google wants to create a new class of device, and if that's the case then it probably won't change people's mindset that much.

I was talking about the fact that any basic Linux distro (Chrome OS included) could easily fork into plenty of other distributions, just like Debian forked into Ubuntu, and Ubuntu into Mint. This is what I expect Chrome OS to do.

droadtrip
January 5th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I don't care to try out Google Chrome anytime soon because I love Firefox and Opera Browsers.

Chris Edgell
January 5th, 2010, 04:18 AM
PLEASE tell us why you can't stand it, Exodist.

xuCGC002
January 5th, 2010, 04:30 AM
What I'm afraid of is "PC Journalists" taking this as what Linux is in whole. They seem to do this with Ubuntu occasionally, and something so small-featured would be somewhat laughable by such reviewers.

Nerd King
January 5th, 2010, 04:40 AM
I was talking about the fact that any basic Linux distro (Chrome OS included) could easily fork into plenty of other distributions, just like Debian forked into Ubuntu, and Ubuntu into Mint. This is what I expect Chrome OS to do.
It can be forked of course, and I suspect OEMs will do just that, but for mainstream computer users the google brand may be more important than the features.

jrusso2
January 5th, 2010, 04:43 AM

Well Android has done a bit of that so I guess it is possible.

k64
January 5th, 2010, 04:50 AM
What I'm afraid of is "PC Journalists" taking this as what Linux is in whole. They seem to do this with Ubuntu occasionally, and something so small-featured would be somewhat laughable by such reviewers.

Yeah, that's why I'm staying away from PC World Forums from now on. They seem to be too biased about WinDOS.

Marlonsm
January 5th, 2010, 01:17 PM

I actually think it's more likely that those journalists actually say Chrome OS is completely new and has nothing to do with Linux, just like Android. This is from an article in Cnet:

The tablet that the chipmaker will show at CES will run both the Android and Linux operating systems.
And this is the first comment in the article:

OSes I'm familiar with (Linux and Android, android I bet would be nice). I'd buy one.

scouser73
January 5th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I'm not, I've tried Google Chrome and Chromium and I liked neither. I'll be staying with Firefox tyvm.