PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to avoid intel products

Regenweald
January 4th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I'm not really one for boycotting products, in fact, if you look at some of my previous posts, I'm all for corporate business making money for quality products in a fair market. This however, was shocking to me and I really do think that I'll shore up my support for anything non intel after reading this.

http://www.osnews.com/story/22683/Intel_Forced_to_Remove_Cripple_AMD_Function_from_C ompiler_

I find it ridiculous.

Simian Man
January 4th, 2010, 11:20 PM
That is pretty despicable. Luckily hardly anybody uses the Intel compiler :).

Pogeymanz
January 4th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I'm not really one for boycotting products, in fact, if you look at some of my previous posts, I'm all for corporate business making money for quality products in a fair market. This however, was shocking to me and I really do think that I'll shore up my support for anything non intel after reading this.

http://www.osnews.com/story/22683/Intel_Forced_to_Remove_Cripple_AMD_Function_from_C ompiler_

I find it ridiculous.

Fortunately you are still supporting a fair market system. Boycotting on moral grounds is part of the free market. Hopefully they will change their tune and then they can get our business back.

Regenweald
January 4th, 2010, 11:26 PM
That is pretty despicable. Luckily hardly anybody uses the Intel compiler :).

Across both platforms, linux and windows ? I'm not a programmer so I don't know how widespread intel's compiler use is.

tmorphius
January 4th, 2010, 11:51 PM
hence why i never use intel

Pogeymanz
January 5th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Across both platforms, linux and windows ? I'm not a programmer so I don't know how widespread intel's compiler use is.

I'm a super novice programmer, but I remember using GCC in Windows before I even knew about GNU/Linux. Hopefully ICC is not super popular.

NoaHall
January 5th, 2010, 12:14 AM
No, it's not widely popular.

Grifulkin
January 5th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Another reason for myself to only use AMD.

Gizenshya
January 5th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Fortunately you are still supporting a fair market system. Boycotting on moral grounds is part of the free market.

Thanks for posting that. He implied it was different... but it is the same.

He even said in his post "in a fair market," and anything like this makes it unfair by any definition I've ever heard.

Intel has officially lost all chance of me doing business with them in the next several years. I'll say after a decade, if there is still valid competition for them, and no more unethical actions, I might consider purchasing from them again. But this is just blatant disregard for the consumer, competitors, and everything about free countries.

How are these people not put in prison for this?

jrusso2
January 5th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Of course it has bad business practices like Microsoft, but Intel has donated millions of dollars into Linux while AMD?

JDShu
January 5th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Of course it has bad business practices like Microsoft, but Intel has donated millions of dollars into Linux while AMD?

No opinions here, but I believe "invested" is a better word for it.

red_Marvin
January 5th, 2010, 01:49 AM

Just because Intel has invested money in foss it does not mean that we should turn a blind eye to their bad actions. This is all about market control, and a corporation as big as Intel invests in foss because they think it's beneficial to them, not us.

I'll rather have honest enemies than lying friends.

Simian Man
January 5th, 2010, 03:26 AM

It's target isn't really general purpose use. It's intended for high-performance computations so programs compiled with icc generally aren't even distributed. Most programmers on Windows use MSVC with a fair amount using MinGW (the windows port of GCC). On Linux GCC is King of course.