PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What will happen if I do this...

Moozillaaa
January 4th, 2010, 10:44 PM
...or what SHOULD happen...

I did a cp task:
cp /dev/sdc5 /dev/sdb6

So, if b6 (object disk) is a 300G partition, and c5 (object disk) is only 100G partition...

...then this will make b6 into a 100G partition, with 200G leftover as 'unallocated'???

Right? Wrong? Flip a coin?

alwayshere
January 4th, 2010, 10:50 PM
install gparted partion editor and take a look

put this in terminal to install it

sudo apt-get install gparted

you will find the launcher under admin...

or just put
sudo gparted

in terminal

3Miro
January 5th, 2010, 01:12 AM
gksudo gparted

using sudo for a graphical app is a bad idea.

You should never physically write into a device, you can permanently damage it. Use gparted to format and partition the drive the way you want and then nautilus to copy the files that you want to.

alwayshere
January 5th, 2010, 10:39 AM
i have had no problems with sudo

Moozillaaa
January 6th, 2010, 12:55 AM
install gparted partion editor and take a look

put this in terminal to install it

sudo apt-get install gparted

you will find the launcher under admin...

or just put
sudo gparted

in terminal

I had GParted running before and after the task. I saw AFTERwards in GParted, something I did not expect, and still cannot explain.

I'm hoping to get a few answers of what I SHOULD have afterwards gotten in GParted, given the task as I executed it...

lswb
January 6th, 2010, 01:18 AM
...or what SHOULD happen...

I did a cp task:
cp /dev/sdc5 /dev/sdb6

So, if b6 (object disk) is a 300G partition, and c5 (object disk) is only 100G partition...

...then this will make b6 into a 100G partition, with 200G leftover as 'unallocated'???

Right? Wrong? Flip a coin?

The short answer is "Wrong" cp works with files, not devices. I would not expect, for instance, that disk blocks would necessarily be copied in the same physical order between source and target. The "dd" command can be used to copy devices in this way, since it does a byte for byte copy, but there are better tools for the job.