PDA

View Full Version : "Um-buntu?"

Waffles McCoy
January 4th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Has anyone else heard Ubuntu pronounced this way? I have, from two different people who'd never spoken to one another. Weird. I'm an absolute n00b to the great wide world of Linux-- there's not an actual derivative with this name out there, is there?

RabbitWho
January 4th, 2010, 09:37 PM
oohm-boon-too sounds silly.

beef'n'cheese
January 4th, 2010, 09:39 PM
its sounds like they were guessing.

ummmmmmmmm, buntu?

USB_NL
January 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
:KSI have a youtube account called ahmbuntu:KS

Old Marcus
January 4th, 2010, 09:41 PM
My dad calls it that, it's wierd.

pricetech
January 4th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Om Boon Too.

Sounds like a chant.

schauerlich
January 4th, 2010, 10:12 PM
/b/ and /m/ are both labial sounds, so it makes sense for there to be some epenthesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epenthesis) there.

blur xc
January 4th, 2010, 10:21 PM
/b/ and /m/ are both labial sounds, so it makes sense for there to be some epenthesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epenthesis) there.

^^^^^^nerd

schauerlich
January 4th, 2010, 10:22 PM
^^^^^^nerd

I prefer the term "geek." :)

CharmyBee
January 4th, 2010, 10:22 PM
No, I use Winders Xpay.

Marlonsm
January 4th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Ive never seen like this, but here it's commom to see people saying "U-bun-TOO" because it looks like a native (south)american word, and most of these words are pronunced like that.

schauerlich
January 4th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Ive never seen like this, but here it's commom to see people saying "U-bun-TOO" because it looks like a native (south)american word, and most of these words are pronunced like that.

The correct pronunciation is /u:bu:ntu:/, or "oo-boon-too"

SuperSonic4
January 4th, 2010, 10:33 PM
The correct pronunciation is /u:bu:ntu:/, or "oo-boon-too"

Indeed but that sounds silly, I pronounce it as oo-bun-two

doas777
January 4th, 2010, 10:33 PM
yeah, I've called it oom-buun-tuu from time to time. you wanna make somthing of it?
;)

schauerlich
January 4th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Indeed but that sounds silly, I pronounce it as oo-bun-two

It's not any sillier sounding than any English word. Try saying the word "word" slowly a bunch of times until it stops meaning anything, and just listen to the sounds you make. Makes you realize just how arbitrary language is.

USB_NL
January 4th, 2010, 10:55 PM
oew boen to

USB_NL
January 4th, 2010, 10:59 PM
oew boen to
thats how it sounds in Dutch I guess :mrgreen:

Waffles McCoy
January 4th, 2010, 11:07 PM

Very interesting-- thanks for the link! :)

Guitar John
January 4th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Oooooooommmm-buntu. Linux for yogis. 8-[

USB_NL
January 4th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Oooooooommmm-buntu. Linux for yogis. 8-[

Ohmbuntu

a mantra of software for the upcomming sun

O:)

TheNessus
January 5th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I hear a lot "You-buntu" pronunciation. grr.

USB_NL
January 5th, 2010, 12:06 AM
omg that might become popular or is that sooo first decade

like YOU was time magazine person of the year

proxess
January 5th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Oooooh-boooooooo!n-two

forrestcupp
January 5th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Maybe it's because Mark Shuttleworth says "umm" about a thousand times every time he speaks.

dragos240
January 5th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I am dragos240 and I pronounce ubuntu as oo-boon-too.

mechro
January 5th, 2010, 12:27 AM
I say Lie-nux Yoo-buntu so I'm probably wrong on both counts. :-|

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 5th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I have heard um-boon-too, un-boon-too, um-bun-too, and un-bun-too.

People mispronounce sudo, SUSE, Mandriva, etc. all the time. As long as I understand what they mean it is OK with me.

Some of the difference are the common sounds used in a particular language or a dialect of a given language. For example, ask someone from the UK and someone from the US to pronounce schedule.

:)

schauerlich
January 5th, 2010, 01:40 AM
People mispronounce sudo, SUSE, Mandriva, etc. all the time. As long as I understand what they mean it is OK with me.

Correct: /suːduː/ "soo-doo," although I admit I usually say /suːdoʊ/ "soo-doh"
Correct original German: /zuːzə/ "zoo-zuh," usual English pronunciation: /suːsə/ "soo-suh"
I usually say /mændraɪːvə/ "man-dry-vuh," although I imagine some people say it /mændriːvə/ "man-dree-vuh". I'm not sure which is technically correct.

Some of the difference are the common sounds used in a particular language or a dialect of a given language. For example, ask someone from the UK and someone from the US to pronounce schedule.

The phones exist in both dialects, and neither is especially marked; it's just a specific case where one is used over the other.

adeypoop
January 5th, 2010, 03:29 AM
lol yeh i've heard people saying Umbuntu before aswell, usually people who don't really know exactly what it is.

mechro
January 5th, 2010, 04:07 AM
For example, ask someone from the UK ..... to pronounce schedule.
:)

tom - ah - toe :)

xuCGC002
January 5th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I pronounce it "ooo-boon-too", but most average people I know refer to it as "You-bun-too" or "oo-bun-too".

thatguruguy
January 5th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I referred to it as "Unbuntu" in this thread, based upon what my dad calls it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1371929
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1371929)