PDA

View Full Version : What Desktop Environment Are You Using?

Shippou
January 4th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Another poll. Just want to find out about DE usage.

NOTE: This is a multi-select poll (is that the right term?)

NOTE: If you have no DE, vote for Others.

For multiple DEs, just select the corresponding DEs.

For WMs, but no DE, choose others. You can also select others and DEs if you want to emphasize your WM. (post as a reply)

Tayl
January 4th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I cannot seem to see the poll? :confused:

Shippou
January 4th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I cannot seem to see the poll? :confused:

Sorry. Slow editing.

I use openbox because of Crunchbang Linux. So far, I am loving it.

Tayl
January 4th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Hehe. I voted both Gnome and *box(Flux, more specifically). Just done a fresh install of Ubuntu after years of having not used it so at the moment I'm naturally using the default Gnome DE. After having tweaked the install a bit I plan to migrate myself to Fluxbox. The first DE I ever used when I first installed Gentoo many many years a go. I fell in love with how simple and minimalistic it was.

Tayl.

SuperSonic4
January 4th, 2010, 05:31 PM
KDE on the desktop.

In the absence of a "none" option I picked other since the laptop has no DE and no WM

Tayl
January 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM
While I've played about with an old piece of equipment that wasn't really powerful enough to run a DE efficiently, thus I only really installed the base system. Why would you want to only run that for out of choice? I found myself getting quite bored rather fast. But then again, I didn't really play about with it much for learning purposes. I just wanted to give my old piece of junk a purpose.

Tayl.

malspa
January 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Depends on how I'm feeling on a particular day. I have different DEs and WMs installed. How about a choice for folks who do that?

Shippou
January 4th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Actually, I fell in love with Openbox when I learned of how minimalistic and simple it was. Not to mention how fast it responds, and how the CPU is freed up. But then, as associated with switching OSes, we have to deal with the so-called learning curve.

If you want a more minimalistic approach, you could try Ratpoison. I haven't tried it yet, but based on Wikipedia, it is a very advanced DE.

Shippou
January 4th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Depends on how I'm feeling on a particular day. I have different DEs and WMs installed. How about a choice for folks who do that?

Well, just select all the DEs you have. :)

Yes, I forgot to add a "No DE" option. Sorry for that. Vote for others.

Beastlicker
January 4th, 2010, 05:36 PM
KDE as of right now.

Shippou
January 4th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I would be surprised if someone votes Project Looking Glass. :)

malspa
January 4th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Well, just select all the DEs you have

Oh, missed the fact that it's a multiple choice poll.

I think Openbox, Fluxbox, and Blackbox are called Window Managers, not Desktop Environments.

Shippou
January 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Oh, missed the fact that it's a multiple choice poll.

I think Openbox, Fluxbox, and Blackbox are called Window Managers, not Desktop Environments.

Oh yeah. Sorry.

But then it's good I put *box, because I was planning to list them all.

Oh well, seems like it's a filler. :)

mike998
January 4th, 2010, 05:54 PM
At present I am using XMonad as I found the documentation easier and it worked better out of the box than Ratpoison.

I don't know if this counts, but I have become addicted to Screen and usually run screen as one of the first programs after my laptop has booted. This session gets detatched at GUI logoff and I can then re-attatch the session from a terminal.

XMonad + screen -x = a session that never dies, is fast and VERY stable.

Shippou
January 4th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Cool wm you have. I will try it out sometime.

BTW, Ratpoison is, I think, a WM, not a DE. So that that brings up our fillers to two.

Beastlicker
January 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I know it was used in the original versions of gOS, but what is enlightenment used in now?

falconindy
January 4th, 2010, 06:39 PM
+1 for DWM and screen.

XMonad + screen -x = a session that never dies, is fast and VERY stable.
Add this to your .bash_aliases:

function scr {
screen -ls | grep -q Main && screen -xr Main || screen -S Main
}

Shippou
January 4th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I know it was used in the original versions of gOS, but what is enlightenment used in now?

Elive uses Enlightenment as the default de.

kellemes
January 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM
XFCE or Xmonad.
Depends on what I'm doing..

kellemes
January 4th, 2010, 07:50 PM

OpenGEU (http://opengeu.intilinux.com/) (I believe this is a mixture of Gnome en enlightenment, very cool!)
OzOS (http://www.cafelinux.org/OzOs/)
Elive (http://www.elivecd.org/)
Macpup (http://macpup.org/)
moonOS (http://www.moonos.co.cc/)

Ibidem
January 4th, 2010, 09:00 PM
IceWM + pcmanfm for desktop.
Removed xfce; haven't used GNOME in ages (try running ubuntu-desktop on an 1999 Thinkpad w/ 64 MB RAM...), KDE I only use on NimbleX
This is on Jaunty; formerly used Dapper.
Thanks,
Ibidem

Shippou
January 5th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Removed xfce; haven't used GNOME in ages (try running ubuntu-desktop on an 1999 Thinkpad w/ 64 MB RAM...), KDE I only use on NimbleX

GNOME is such a resource (space and memory) hog; so is KDE.

Just my two cents.

fancypiper
January 5th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Fluxbox rules!

My computer has a bit of age on it now and my box runs fluxbox much faster than does any DE I have tried. I really like the tabbing of windows and the slit.

XubuRoxMySox
January 5th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Openbox on a laptop, Xfce on two desktops, LXDE on a "test" computer (not a mission-critical one, since LXDE has been buggy for me, but I still really like it and am looking forward to using it when it matures a little. Will definitely give Lubuntu a spin after it's been out for a month or so.

-Robin

tekkidd
January 7th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I am using KDE 4.3 on my desktop and recently switched my laptop over to gnome 2.28

MooPi
January 7th, 2010, 05:49 AM
+1 for DWM and screen.

Add this to your .bash_aliases:

function scr {
screen -ls | grep -q Main && screen -xr Main || screen -S Main
}
I'd like a screenshot please !
I enjoy using Openbox. Lets see, I mix a little xorg & xdm with Openbox, stir well while mixing in some pcmanfm, and top of with feh wallpaper. Ummmm good.

RiceMonster
January 7th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Desktop: Arch + KDE
Laptop: Fedora + GNOME

I also really like Xfce. I'm just using GNOME because it's the default in Fedora and I'm perfectly fine with it. No real interest in lightweight wms anymore. They take longer to configure, and I find I'm always tweaking them never to be able to really get comfortable. Plus, I don't care how much ram I'm using anymore. The only lightweight wm I'd probably use is dwm, because it's nice if you're using mostly terminal apps (because of tiling) and the design is nice and simple.

Grifulkin
January 7th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I have Arch installed on my Desktop and both Laptops, all have Openbox, and Tint2 panel. I know it isn't very diverse but I can't get enough of it. They all have different wallpapers though thats a start. I should however try something different maybe a tiling WM I have all day tomorrow to screw around with the WM.

chessnerd
January 7th, 2010, 06:42 AM
LXDE on Xubuntu 9.04 for the desktop (probably going to Lubuntu for 10.04)

Gnome on Ubuntu 9.10 for the laptop

Icehuck
January 7th, 2010, 06:52 AM
As of now I use CLI with screen and a frame buffer.

Crunchy the Headcrab
January 7th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Using Gnome on Ubuntu. I'll probably use Fedora again for a while when the next version comes out. It's my second favorite distro.

lisati
January 7th, 2010, 06:58 AM
My laptop is a dual boot Vista Home Premium & Ubuntu 9.04 (Gnome). At the moment both my desktops are command-line only.

kyuubi777
January 7th, 2010, 07:00 AM
gnome and xfce

Vignesh S
January 7th, 2010, 07:12 AM
I'm a gnome boy here. Its the DE I first saw when I came to Ubuntu, and I've been stuck with it since.

Mark76
January 7th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Hey! You have a ROX option :D

Guess what I voted ;)

(I also have Gnome and Xfce, but I didn't vote for those because I didn't notice the poll allowed you to vote for more than one option)

Shippou
January 7th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Hey! You have a ROX option :D

Guess what I voted ;)

(I also have Gnome and Xfce, but I didn't vote for those because I didn't notice the poll allowed you to vote for more than one option)

I tried ROX once. But then, I guess I wasn't that much used to the interface.

Anyway, it's a nice DW.

CAn you pose a screenshot?

BTW, @kyuubi777: Nice avatar. :)

~sHyLoCk~
January 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM
compiz

Mark76
January 7th, 2010, 01:15 PM

Anyway, it's a nice DW.

Sure.

Note: I'm using xcompmgr-dana in these shots

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4253071531_28544b333d.jpg (http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4253071531_8338baee7c_o.jpg)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/4253818694_9df7342084.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/4253818694_545315f35f_o.jpg)

Shippou
January 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I want to quote your sig.

...I'm speechless.

Is that really ROX? It looks like KDE, or even GNOME.

Nice configs.

BTW, is ROX lightweight? I mean as light as Openbox?

I would miss openbox's menus, though.:(

gutterslob
January 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Gnome on my main work environment (Debian), Openbox on another partition, Openbox on my netbook and Xfce on an old laptop. I've tried others like KDE, DWM, Fluxbox, PekWM, IceWM in the past.

I voted for the "*box" because my favourite (openbox) resides within it.

Mark76
January 7th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I want to quote your sig.

Is that really ROX? It looks like KDE, or even GNOME.

Nice configs.

BTW, is ROX lightweight? I mean as light as Openbox?

I would miss openbox's menus, though.:(

Yes that's really ROX. And I guess it could be (almost) as lightweight as OB if you don't run the sheer number of panel plug ins I do (14 in all + Wallpaper applet).

You could use ROX as a desktop manager with Openbox, with or without a panel (rox --pinboard=MyPinboard for just the background or rox --session/-S for background and a panel) which would also give you desktop launchers (if you wanted them) and iconised windows (again... if you wanted them).

As for the Openbox menu there's a pass all background clicks to window manager option in Options/Compatibility in the right click menu (if you need to use the ROX menu after setting that option just right click on a filer icon).

Mark76
January 7th, 2010, 02:10 PM
And just to show you, here's a screenshot of openbox and ROX-DE running together

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2745/4253970742_7b74fc162a.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2745/4253970742_e5070eed68_o.png)

alexdnk
January 7th, 2010, 02:37 PM
XFCE. Simply fast :KS. I think one of the best as it's lightning fast, not saying GNOME and KDE suck. I have Kubuntu with Gnome, KDE, and XFCE. I will try out LXDE very soon, as soon as my upgrade to Karmic is done.

BrokenKingpin
January 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Gnome here, but lately I have been giving XFCE a go, and I have to say I like it a lot.

Daisuke_Aramaki
January 7th, 2010, 04:25 PM
No Desktop Environment.
Current Setup.
EeePc - TWM; Laptop 1 - Scrotwm; Laptop 2 - fvwm2; Office Desk - wmii; Home Desks - Evilwm

Shippou
January 7th, 2010, 05:26 PM
And just to show you, here's a screenshot of openbox and ROX-DE running together

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2745/4253970742_7b74fc162a.jpg (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2745/4253970742_e5070eed68_o.png)

aw. The wallpaper's gone.

How do turn it back? This is also one of my openbox problems so I let pcmanfm manage my desktop.

BTW, someone voted for ratpoison.

I would be surprised if someone voted for Project Looking Glass.

Mark76
January 7th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I didn't bother to add a wallpaper since I just wanted to make a quick screenshot to show you it could be done.

If you want a less dull backdrop than the one in that shot just right click on the desktop (or the filer icon if you've set the "send background clicks to window manager" option), click on Backdrop in the menu and then drag and drop a wallpaper into the window that appears.

kyuubi777
January 8th, 2010, 06:51 AM

Anyway, it's a nice DW.

haha, same to you... Digimon friggin rocks the house!

user1397
January 8th, 2010, 06:55 AM
damn, i thought there were more kde users

Khakilang
January 8th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Gnome come with Ubuntu 9.10 and I like it never try other desktop. I hope I don't have to.

teward
January 8th, 2010, 07:58 AM
GNOME and none (CLI) because I also run a server :P

koleoptero
January 8th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I switch environments all the time so I didn't know what to vote. :lolflag:

fancypiper
January 8th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Gnome come with Ubuntu 9.10 and I like it never try other desktop. I hope I don't have to.You don't know what you are missing.

I love choice!

malspa
January 8th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I switch environments all the time so I didn't know what to vote. :lolflag:

As someone pointed out, you can vote for more than one.

malspa
January 8th, 2010, 11:28 PM
GNOME is such a resource (space and memory) hog; so is KDE.

Just my two cents.

But that probably depends on your hardware, and on what other things you do with your computer. I like Openbox and Fluxbox and Xfce and others but it doesn't hurt anything here if I use GNOME or KDE. It's not like those two slow me down from doing anything.

Zoot7
January 8th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Desktop - Gnome (Debian), Xfce (Arch)
Laptop - Gnome (Debian, Fedora), KDE (openSUSE), and Xfce (Slackware)

Ewingo401
January 8th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Desktop is Ubuntu with Gnome
Laptop is Sidux with KDE

Linux_junkie
January 9th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I use Gnome when I first installed Ubuntu but have now installed and use XFCE. I still use Gnome from time to time though.

Linux_junkie

Shippou
January 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM
But that probably depends on your hardware, and on what other things you do with your computer. I like Openbox and Fluxbox and Xfce and others but it doesn't hurt anything here if I use GNOME or KDE. It's not like those two slow me down from doing anything.

Well, it is not with the performance I am *ranting*(?) about, but the size itself. I've been in a minimalistic mood lately. Oh well, I don't want to start another GNOME vs KDE war (or somethinglike that), so please spare me. :)

haha, same to you... Digimon friggin rocks the house!

What season/series no. are you now? And, oh yeah, I hate dubs. :)

malspa
January 13th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Well, it is not with the performance I am *ranting*(?) about, but the size itself. I've been in a minimalistic mood lately. Oh well, I don't want to start another GNOME vs KDE war (or somethinglike that), so please spare me.

ok, consider yourself spared

fancypiper
January 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM
With today's hard drives, why be in a minimalistic mood? Everything to excess, except for moderation...

Shippou
January 15th, 2010, 03:50 PM
With today's hard drives, why be in a minimalistic mood? Everything to excess, except for moderation...

Well, let's just say that I'm sort of a power user (of course, not the one who overclocks his/her CPU with a liquid nitrogen coolant, or something like that. :p).

I do love minimalism, but of course not to the extent I cannot use anything.

k64
January 15th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Currently, I am using GNOME (on Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 2 "Lucid Lynx"), although I have used Openbox (on CrunchBang), KDE (on Kubuntu 9.10), and Xfce (on Linpus Lite, something I dearly loathe but was forced to use).

Psumi
January 15th, 2010, 04:34 PM
GNOME currently. But will be switching to XFCE eventually.

dermotti
February 10th, 2010, 01:41 PM
LXDE.

Quick, intuitive, and to the point. No BS.

Bachstelze
February 10th, 2010, 01:44 PM
KDE on my personal computers when the hardware can bear it, otherwise XFCE or Fluxbox. Gnome during classes.

Tibuda
February 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM

Because I think it is prettier and usable. I don't really care for memory usage, I just find Openbox much prettier and usable than anything else.

Pritamsng
February 10th, 2010, 02:09 PM
GNome is the best for new user and fde for advance. You can get much more help if you face any problem then other.

docus
February 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I have Arch installed on my Desktop and both Laptops, all have Openbox, and Tint2 panel. I know it isn't very diverse but I can't get enough of it. They all have different wallpapers though thats a start. I should however try something different maybe a tiling WM I have all day tomorrow to screw around with the WM.

Ditto - I'm running Arch with Openbox on my Thinkpad, and it's wonderful. But I do get restless, so I'll probably give something else a try soon... ;)

kgarbutt
February 10th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Gnome on both my laptop & desktop.

kelvin spratt
February 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM
I use Gnome on everything at the moment, I like E17 but have not used it for a while. KDE4 is not mature enough for my needs a present.

dragos240
February 10th, 2010, 07:47 PM
GNOME for the desktop, XFCE for the netbook, and I'm experimenting with fluxbox, enlightenment, and awesome.

Gallahhad
February 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Gnome and others:

Gnome - Linux
Aero - Windows
Aqua - Apple

I sometimes mess around with KDE, but I continue to use Gnome as my regular.

Barrucadu
February 10th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Not using a DE, I'm using StumpWM: though, I have every window maximised more or less all the time so all I really need is a script to maximise windows and let me cycle between them.

Hey, that sounds like an interesting thing to make :P

Shpongle
February 10th, 2010, 08:46 PM
kde on the laptop , gnome on the desktop and openbox on usb

Shippou
February 15th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I've read a review about FluxBox, and I'm looking at trying it soon. I just love how two separate windows (or windowed programs) can be merged together in a tabbed environment.

Hume's doona
February 15th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Wmii