PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Errors on install

Shadow.Shergood
January 4th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I recently ordered the kubuntu 8.10 CD and i'm trying to install it on an old computer. it meets the minimum requirements and currently has win98 installed on it. it starts out fine andasks me which way i want to install it so i just choos install kubuntu sense i dont want windows on there. then it asks what language and loads up the kubuntu logo with the moving bar then it gives me buffer I/0 errors and cant read pages and logical blocks.... i had a friend reconfigure the settings and it loaded up the same way but this time it took me straight into sudo commands which i played with and can't understand (im new to programming) I tried typing in kde and k and casper and all kinds of stuff... somehow i got to grub commands and didnt understand that either then i went back to sudo commands... not exactly sure what i was suppose to do at that point. So i rebooted...
I reset the bios and it went back to the errors which it never gets past. I have also tried installing it beside windows... the first attempt it said it couldnt find the CD. the second attempt it said there was an error and couldnt continue.

i have a 2000 HP with 500mhz, and 328 ram 15GB HD

any ideas?

mörgæs
January 4th, 2010, 05:31 PM
You could try burning Ubuntu 8.10 (perhaps the alternate edition) from this location

http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/

and see how it goes. If an error appears, please post the wording here as it appears on screen.

Shadow.Shergood
January 4th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I can't burn anything. I am not online at home and i don't know anyone that has 6 CD's or an extra DVD to burn it.... Im more interested in WHY its doing this?

mörgæs
January 4th, 2010, 06:16 PM
It only takes a single CD.

It would be nice to have the results of some different versions for comparison as well as the exact error message. If people in here see a precise description of the problem, they are more likely to answer.

Shadow.Shergood
January 4th, 2010, 08:44 PM
No... it takes 6 CD's or 1 DVD I have heard that from more than 1 person... If i could burn them I would.. If i could get more than 1 copy I would. This was sent from a friend who ordered it online.

The exact error message??

"Buffer I/0 error on device sr0, logical block"

Cheesemill
January 4th, 2010, 08:50 PM
No... it takes 6 CD's or 1 DVD I have heard that from more than 1 person...

They're wrong. All of the different Ubuntu .isos are specifically designed to fit on one CD.

Your errors could be due to a bad CD or a faulty CD drive. Have you tried the check disk option on the CD?

Shadow.Shergood
January 4th, 2010, 08:54 PM
yes i checked the disk and it was fine.. the bad CD drive could be an option... it said it couldn't find it at one point when i tried to install it beside windows