PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mount MP3 Player as Hard Drive

dilb
January 4th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Is there a way I can force Gnome to mount my MP3 player (an iRiver H140) simply as a hard drive? Currently it recognizes it as an mp3 player which I do not want it to do.

This might make sense if I explain, but feel free to ignore this bit. I'm trying to use Rhythmbox to play music. All my music is on my mp3 player, none on my laptop hard drive (what's the point of duplicating it?) as it's only a 35GB partition. The problem is Rhythmbox scans my mp3 player every time I start the application which takes a while. My hope is that by forcing Gnome/Rhythmbox to see my mp3 player as a hard drive, it won't scan it each time I start it up.

I've also tried Banshee and Amarok but these are not viable alternatives as they don't seem to have the quality of support for iPods that Rhythmbox has (both have issues mounting the iPod and Banshee bodges up the album art).

I've also tried unchecking 'Watch my library for new files' in Rhythmbox but it still scans the drive so I guess this is the wrong option.

Thanks.