PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black screen after second boot with updates

Brian_usmc
January 4th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I have an alienware m17 with an Ati graphics card. I was able to log on and install all current updates as well as the card driver update where I was then prompted to restart. Upon doing so, I get the grub loading plus splash screen. My screen then goes blank followed by a noise in my laptop. I have tried nomodeset as well as taking out splash nothing has worked. Also, upon booting up I get lucky if I can get into Recovery mode. Any feedback is useful, thank you.

puv
January 24th, 2010, 02:15 AM
Sorry, I don't have any information on how to solve your problem but I have alienware m17 laptop like you and want to install ubuntu, I have the installation cd but how do you boot from cd to install ubuntu? What do I do upon reboot?

zero7404
January 24th, 2010, 02:20 AM
@ puv:

if the m17 has a similar bios to the m1730, then you'd have to press F12 during the splash screen. F12 brings up a one-time boot up selection.
if you want to make a boot order change permanent, pressing F2 during the splash screen brings up the Bios, which you can go in there and change the order to what you want....

@ op:

unfortunately, here on this forum, you'll be hard pressed to get help because no one wants to lift a finger to help. they seem to have this "super-user-god" aire about them and simple questions just fly right below them, i guess.

i too have a problem with ubuntu starting up properly after the latest updates, but after posting, no one seems to give a *****.

so i stopped using ubuntu and am opting for something better.....