PDA

View Full Version : The Linux Challenge

chessnerd
January 4th, 2010, 09:40 AM
*******Basic description********
Like the Pepsi Challenge, but with a OS, help others try out Linux by lending them unused computers so they can see for themselves which is better.

What do you guys think about giving others The Linux Challenge?

*******Points and Premise*******
I think that Linux users should demonstrate what a Linux system is like by lending computers running Linux to friends and family. I know there are forum users who have older systems that they rarely use. These would be perfect candidates for lending out to others.

Just lend someone a computer running any user-friendly distro and tell them that they are free to use it for 2-4 weeks (or however long you can tolerate being without the computer) and ask them to tell you what they think at the end of it.

IMPORTANT: If you do this, only pick people who you trust and who trust you

*******Ideas*******
*Offer them tech support (both during the demo and if they decide to use Linux afterwards)
*Give a demo to show them the highlights of the distro you pick
*A laptop would probably be preferable because of the portability
*Lend it to a family - if the household has a less than 1:1 computer to person ratio they will appreciate having another system around and will definitely use it
*Lend it to a friend in need - if someone is going to be without a computer for whatever reason (repairs, crash, upgrading, etc.) offer them a Linux computer to use in the mean time

*******Background Info*******
Often times my friends and family are intrigued by Linux when I tell them about it, but whenever I offer to let them try it on their own computer (even with a LiveCD) they are very hesitant because they don't want it to mess up their system.

At home, I let my family freely have access to my Linux desktop. They don't use it over the family Windows desktop (which is more powerful) but, despite the fact that it can dual-boot with Windows 2000, they typically use the Linux partition for web browsing. This makes me think that people aren't totally closed to the idea of using a non-MS OS.

MelDJ
January 4th, 2010, 04:29 PM
uh, what about a live cd?

jpmelos
January 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I think it would be better if we lend a Live CD. If they aren't already willing to get rid of Windows for good, they won't keep using Linux even if they know it's better.

Plus, if someone can't install Ubuntu, which couldn't get any easier, they are not ready to use Linux, because he is already too in the world of ignorance that is Windows. The person has to be ready to look for solutions in the Internet, has to be willing to try and figure things out on their own, has to be willing to learn.

I tried to teach a friend, and he just was not ready to use Linux. Every day, he would need my help, and I could find the solution by simply use the search of this forum or Google in less then 15 minutes. He clearly in not mature enough yet, or Windows got him too lazy.

I would've known that, because he would need my help to install Ubuntu itself. And he wouldn't look for solutions on his own, he would need my help.

chessnerd
January 4th, 2010, 11:05 PM
uh, what about a live cd?

I think it would be better if we lend a Live CD.
Sure, a Live CD is okay if you can get someone to use it, but it's slower and you can't really get a feel for the OS with it.

If they aren't already willing to get rid of Windows for good, they won't keep using Linux even if they know it's better.
Windows and Linux are not mutually exclusive, you can use both. I'm not willing to get rid of Windows for good and I'm still using Linux. I dual boot every computer I own.

Plus, if someone can't install Ubuntu, which couldn't get any easier, they are not ready to use Linux, because he is already too in the world of ignorance that is Windows.
I'm not saying that my family and friends couldn't install Linux, I'm saying that they've never used it. It's like when DVDs first came out. No one knew how to use a DVD player. The idea of a "Menu" was foreign to them. It wasn't that it was impossible to set up or use, just that they hadn't used it. Once they did it wasn't that bad. Even now, with the DVR, my mother can barely use the thing, but she's getting better and I'm sure she will eventually understand it perfectly.

I'm not saying that this will make every person who uses Linux give up Windows, or even agree to use Linux. What it could do is help to lead them away from the ignorance you describe. It could show them that there are other options.

The person has to be ready to look for solutions in the Internet, has to be willing to try and figure things out on their own, has to be willing to learn.
How do you learn about something that you don't even know exists? Most people have never even heard of Linux. Before last January I had never even heard of it. If you want to do crazy things with Linux, yeah, you need the DIY attitude, but if you just want to browse the web, send e-mail, and type documents you're fine. Sure, configuring a printer or web cam can be tough, but that's a project you could help them with and, once it's done it's done.

I tried to teach a friend, and he just was not ready to use Linux. Every day, he would need my help, and I could find the solution by simply use the search of this forum or Google in less then 15 minutes. He clearly in not mature enough yet, or Windows got him too lazy.

I would've known that, because he would need my help to install Ubuntu itself. And he wouldn't look for solutions on his own, he would need my help.
Sounds like he was just lazy and wanted someone else to do it for him. You get that with Windows users as well and you can either keep helping them or let them go. When it happens to someone that you are showing Linux, the kind thing to do is help them with one last thing: removing Linux. That's all there is to do for someone like that.

Linux Army
January 4th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I agree I usually give them a live cd, then ask to dual boot, but everytime , the questions are I cant do this as I did with windows. So the best route I would say is vm:P

Simian Man
January 4th, 2010, 11:18 PM
The thing with the Pepsi challenge is that almost everyone picks Pepsi after one taste because it's sweeter. That first sip is so good because it tastes like candy. After drinking for a while, however, most people find Pepsi to be too sweet. I feel sick after drinking a whole can of it, that's why I and most other people prefer Coke, despite it losing almost every such "taste challenge".

Likewise using a new OS for a short amount of time isn't going to be that useful to people. Sure virtually everyone can go a week or so on any OS, but what happens when they want to hook up their unsupported scanner, or pull out an old game they haven't played for a while?

Why not just let people choose what works for them without trying to sell them anything? People who want to use Linux will find it on their own.

Shibblet
January 5th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Like this?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1205956

munky99999
January 5th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Ive done it to a wide range of people. There's actually a pretty good acceptance rate.

Not that I necessarily gave them any hardware. I made a persistent live usb for most.

My mom on the otherhand was frequently using limewire. Got infected very badly. I just loaded up ubuntu. Showed her the ropes. Like a week later. "Ok you can come over now and fix the computer. Get rid of this bunny2 and put windows back on. I'm not learning anything new. I dont know about computers." So I'm like whatever. I go over with Win 7. Put that on there. "No this is garbage also. I want windows back" Dug up the old win xp cd.

People are unwilling to change from windows to linux; because they have to learn something new and are unwilling. At the same time. They also seem to be unwilling to change which windows they use.

MelDJ
January 5th, 2010, 04:28 AM
a new user will be more interested in the applications and the absence of windows viruses imo.
i don't think they will spot the difference in speed

starcannon
January 5th, 2010, 05:06 AM
My linux challenge is that after reinstalling windows for friends and family at the friend and family rate (free of charge, but not without cost); that I set them up with a dual boot setup, and they check email and surf the web on the Linux side, and do trusted software, trusted/work related email and web stuff on the windows side.

Viruses have become almost extinct for my friends and family by setting things up this way, and about the only questions I generally have to answer is, "how do I move my files from Windows over to my Ubuntu" as they find Ubuntu generally easier to use after a few months time.

So, for the cost of learning something new, my friends and family get free windows tech support, and I get less headaches supporting them. It works very well for me.

gsmanners
January 5th, 2010, 11:12 AM
A real Pepsi-style challenge would be to set up a kiosk somewhere with two identical computers running similar (or the same applications). You then ask people to try using both and you then ask which one was better.

Ideally, it should be set up so that the people running the kiosk don't know which machine is which (you just call them "machine A" and "machine B" or something like that). You also make sure that they are set up in such a way that it isn't easy to tell which is which, and you try hard to hide the name of the OS if possible. If possible, try to make sure that people taking the test don't influence other people who are about to take the test.