PDA

View Full Version : gftp - can I get this for Ubuntu

dickinsd
February 2nd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Hello.

I want to use gftp, I use it a lot on my fedora machine, I think its pretty good.

Can I get it for Ubuntu? If so how?

Also, using apt-get, is there a command similar to the yum command

yum list (eg yum list gftp) to get a list of packages with that name?

I ask because I tried apt-get install gftp, it couldn't find it, so I wanted to use the list command to get its full name,

yum list gftp would produce
gftp.i386 1:2.0.17-3 installed
on my fedora box.

thanks

Dave

mendicant
February 2nd, 2005, 06:35 PM
Yes, it's available. I would suggest using either aptitude (curses) or synaptic (GTK+) instead of pure command line stuff for doing most things, as you can get things like changelogs and descriptions. If you insist, however:

% aptitude search gftp

You might also want to use aptitude because it keeps track of automatically installed dependencies, which is great when you uninstall stuff.

ember
February 2nd, 2005, 06:36 PM
gftp is in universe - just uncomment the corresponding line to your sources.list.

To your second question I have no direct answer - yet I think there is some apt-cache search or so.

Best,
ember

mendicant
February 2nd, 2005, 06:41 PM
Well, gftp-gtk and gftp-common are available in main and gftp-text is in universe. So if you want the text client, you'd have to grab it from universe.

Sgood1971
February 2nd, 2005, 07:01 PM
gftp is in universe - just uncomment the corresponding line to your sources.list.

To your second question I have no direct answer - yet I think there is some apt-cache search or so.

Best,
ember
apt-cache search <packagename> and apt-cache show <packagename> are great.