PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems instaling anything higher than 7.04...HALP

Akeroh
January 4th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Well, I've been trying to install 9.10,8.10,8.04, and even 7.10 on an old-ish laptop (dell latitude, Pentium III, 30 gig hd) and it refuses. It will not. Installations of all of the above, pioneer basic and Debian hand at 15% or I get an I/O error partway through. It's starting to get infuriating, because i'm stuck on unsupported 7.04, so I can't install anything.
I've tried apci=off and other kernel commands, but I still get the same I/O errors....

Final Version
January 4th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Non Oldish? Pentium 3?

Akeroh
January 4th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Well, from what I've gathered in about a week of web searching, 'old' seems to be considered 256 megs (At best) of ram and maybe a Pentium I processor. Mine's a bit newer than that, with a Pentium III processor.

prshah
January 4th, 2010, 08:12 AM
hang at 15% or I get an I/O error partway through.

Please run a media check. If you have burnt the CD on a newer system, your old CD drive may not be able to handle the speed at which the CD has been burnt.

If the media check fails, please burn a CD at a lower (16x-4x) speed. If that CD too fails, then perhaps your old drive is giving out and you may need to consider a USB install or so.

Akeroh
January 4th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I've already tried all of that. I know the hard drive is fine and that the cd drive is as well. The disk integrity is fine and i've burned it at the slowest possible write speed, 0.2x.

kellemes
January 4th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Well, I've been trying to install 9.10,8.10,8.04, and even 7.10 on an old-ish laptop (dell latitude, Pentium III, 30 gig hd) and it refuses. It will not. Installations of all of the above, pioneer basic and Debian hand at 15% or I get an I/O error partway through. It's starting to get infuriating, because i'm stuck on unsupported 7.04, so I can't install anything.
I've tried apci=off and other kernel commands, but I still get the same I/O errors....

Have you tried some other distribution of Linux?
Just to rule out some issue with the Ubuntu installer?

Akeroh
January 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Yes, I have. I've tried absolute, which worked, but very poorly, as it took over 30 minutes for x to start, and I have tried debian and pioneer basic. I do belive that it's a problem with the new ubuntu installer lacking older hardware support, and the threads with the same problem that i've found say to add the kernel commands apci=off. I've done that, along with noapci at the same time, but that hasn't worked either. I'm still getting hang-ups and I/O errors.

oldos2er
January 4th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Well, from what I've gathered in about a week of web searching, 'old' seems to be considered 256 megs (At best) of ram and maybe a Pentium I processor. Mine's a bit newer than that, with a Pentium III processor.

The LiveCD requires 384MB RAM. You might want to try the alernate CD installer.

Akeroh
January 5th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I do have 546 megs of ram, but I tried the alternate as well.