PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unwanted automatic wireless connection

Casey797
January 4th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu so bear with me. I installed 9.10 from a CD and it looks fine and works OK wired. However, my wireless keeps picking up a connection at home via my Linksys router that is not mine and I can't get around it, blacklist it or delete it. No matter what I do it keeps showing back up as an AutoConnection. It is the same type of router as mine but the security is different (I use WPA-Personal and the offender is WEP). How can I permanently block\disable\etc the extra connection? I can't get on my home network until the bad autoconnection is gone. Thanks!

More info: I use an IBM R40 into which I installed a Toshiba mini-PC wireless card. I know it works as I have used it to connect to other wireless networks other than my own. I prefer to leave my router configured as it is due to other users at home and the configs I use for them. I read about WICD if that is a possibility, but actually connecting wirelessly is not the issue.

slooksterpsv
January 4th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I had this same problem on my Netbookt, you can go in and specify which Wireless connection to always use via System > Preferences > Network Connections.

The settings that you can specify are all there, let me know if you need help.

Casey797
January 4th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I have looked at Network Manager previously and have been unable to modify or delete the connection that is giving me the problem. I can manually add my home connection there but the bad one seems to override anything I do. If I try to modify it, i get no choice to save the changes (the Save button is grayed out). If I go into Terminal, I can see it in IWCONFIG but do nothing else beyond that. I'm stumped at this point and I have not been able to find anything close during my research of the problem. I figure that the connection is stored somewhere and IWCONFIG just brings it up to view. I tried to blacklist it by name and alias and it still shows up. None of my other home devices (multiple PC and Mac laptops, iTouch, iPhone) are having problems. I appreciate the help!

Warren Watts
January 4th, 2010, 06:20 AM
I can manually add my home connection there but the bad one seems to override anything I do. If I try to modify it, i get no choice to save the changes (the Save button is grayed out). If I go into Terminal, I can see it in IWCONFIG but do nothing else beyond that.

Perhaps its a permission related issue? What if you run the network manager as root? Is the button still grayed out?

Casey797
January 4th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Tried that. The rogue connection returns. By the way, does root have a password (embedded?) other than the one I used when I loaded the system? I don't seem to have rights that I think I should. I would think that I should be able to find and delete the config for the recurrent connections and also to be able to block it from returning, especially as an autoconnect. I've been a Mac\Windows guy for many years (I mean since the early 1980's) so my Linux\UNIX skills are rudimentary but I intend to correct that.