PDA

View Full Version : Bono hopes content tracking will help media moguls

phrostbyte
January 4th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Bono from U2 suggests America implement a surveillance and censorship regime similar to that of China. All in the name of anti-piracy.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/01/03/2241248/Bono-Hopes-Content-Tracking-Will-Help-Media-Moguls

Some interesting comments in there also.

TheNessus
January 4th, 2010, 02:14 AM
God, I hate Bono.

regardless of the subject at hand.

Frak
January 4th, 2010, 02:24 AM
That's why Bono stands on stage and sings and doesn't partake in government lobbying. That's not his job, nor a place where people want him.

starcannon
January 4th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Wow, guess U2 Bono, and Capitalist Bono are 2 different Bono's.

He knows of course that just like in China, these sorts of controls will only meet with another set of crackers that will break them?

Locks keep honest people honest, building bigger, nastier locks will not make honest people any more honest, and will indeed only cause injury to the innocent, while doing nothing to stop the guilty.

phrostbyte
January 4th, 2010, 02:26 AM
That's why Bono stands on stage and sings and doesn't partake in government lobbying, that's not his job, nor a place where people want him.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/Bush_and_Bono.jpg

Frak
January 4th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Wow, guess U2 Bono, and Capitalist Bono are 2 different Bono's.

He knows of course that just like in China, these sorts of controls will only meet with another set of crackers that will break them?

Locks keep honest people honest, building bigger, nastier locks will not make honest people any more honest, and will indeed only cause injury to the innocent, while doing nothing to stop the guilty.
I never understood locks. Though, those who are honest will just have an extra lock, and those that aren't will find a way around it. The people hurting the most are the ones who have to enforce it. Not the ones who want to enforce it, the ones who must enforce it.

kingbilly
January 4th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Bono from U2 suggests America implement a surveillance and censorship regime similar to that of China. All in the name of anti-piracy.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/01/03/2241248/Bono-Hopes-Content-Tracking-Will-Help-Media-Moguls

And one of those comments I found particularly interesting mentioned this link.
United States Bureau of Economic Analysis (http://www.bea.gov/industry/gpotables/gpo_action.cfm?anon=343982&table_id=24753&format_type=0)

Look at line 47,
47 Motion picture and sound recording industries 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3

0.3 = 0.003 % of the total GDP in the United States. Not only did Bono overstate the portion of GDP from these "media moguls", but he also failed to note they retained the same piece of the pie for the last 5 years.

Zoot7
January 4th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Honestly, all he's doing is merely repeating the words of the cash hungry media corporations who if they had their way would require payment for as much as even a passive thought about the content they own the copyright to. Thus he really fails to see where the problem is.

Take the RIAA's actions to sue people left, right and centre for "illegal" downloading; how much did the artists benefit from that? Plus they're also lobbying to reduce artist royalties all the time. Any artist who stands by the music industry all the way deserves no respect IMO.

Thankfully, some artists are actually taking the fight back to those capitalists:
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4596/135/

Frak
January 4th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Honestly, all he's doing is merely repeating the words of the cash hungry media corporations who if they had their way would require payment for as much as even a passive thought about the content they own the copyright to. Thus he really fails to see where the problem is.

Take the RIAA's actions to sue people left, right and centre for "illegal" downloading; how much did the artists benefit from that? Plus they're also lobbying to reduce artist royalties all the time. Any artist who stands by the music industry all the way deserves no respect IMO.

Thankfully, some artists are actually taking the fight back to those capitalists:
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4596/135/
I think the biggest thing to realize is that artists make very little money from music sales. A large chunk, if not the largest chunk of it comes from merchandise sales.

Zoot7
January 4th, 2010, 03:08 AM
I think the biggest thing to realize is that artists make very little money from music sales.
Which is wrong on about every level. Where would the Labels be without the artists?
I'm a seasoned musician myself and I've a lot pieces recorded (home recorded) that are entirely my own work, but I can safely say I will never sign with a label for that reason.

I've no problems with the labels making money on account of doing the promotional work, but they shouldn't be reeling in the huge percentage of the profit that they are, and thus screwing the artists in the process.

Frak
January 4th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Which is wrong on about every level. Where would the Labels be without the artists?
I'm a seasoned musician myself and I've a lot pieces recorded (home recorded) that are entirely my own work, but I can safely say I will never sign with a label for that reason.

I've no problems with the labels making money on account of doing the promotional work, but they shouldn't be reeling in the huge percentage of the profit that they are, and thus screwing the artists in the process.
Well, I mean, you see tons of artists creating their own Record Companies for this very reason. There's little money to be made when under WB's wing.

Zoot7
January 4th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Well, I mean, you see tons of artists creating their own Record Companies for this very reason. There's little money to be made when under WB's wing.
Yes exactly. But they represent a fairly obscure minority, the "Big Four" dominate the recorded music industry.

pwnst*r
January 4th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I love Bono!

In U2

judge jankum
January 4th, 2010, 04:34 AM
hog wash!!!!!!!!!!!!!! did I say hog wash?????????
I've sold tons of cds, singles, albums, orinalls, covers.....But my music online is free to who ever drops in....Sometimes there's no limit to greed....

Zoot7
January 4th, 2010, 04:36 AM
From an Irish Slashdotter, I think it's only fair to say. I apologise most unreservedly to the world for not flushing this floater when we had the chance.
Haha, just read this and I gotta agree with it, being Irish myself. :tongue:

The problem is that U2's music is being pirated a lot. With every GNU/Linux distribution you download, you are also downloading all of U2's MP3s.

To listen to them, just do cat /proc/kcore > /dev/dsp. The sound it makes is virtually identical to bono's inconsolable screaming.

I'm sure he can sue us all and demand we pay $ 699 for each GNU/Linux install. Do we have a new SCO in town?
:lolflag:

Exodist
January 4th, 2010, 04:53 AM
I've sold tons of cds, singles, albums, orinalls, covers.....But my music online is free to who ever drops in....Sometimes there's no limit to greed....
I agree, if I was a artist I would just post my songs on the internet to be downloaded. People who are going to pirate are still going to pirate. Those who buy CDs buy to have the CD, not just the music on it. Not to mention most money is made from Touring.

Locks only keep honest people honest..

Zoot7
January 4th, 2010, 05:04 AM
People who are going to pirate are still going to pirate.
What's actually worth noting in addition to all this garbage and hullabaloo is that the vast majority of these "losses" that the Entertainment industry is touting is based on the notion that:
1 Download = 1 Lost Sale
As you said people who are going to pirate whatever aren't automatically going to change their ways because of restrictions put in place. It's safe to say that the vast majority of those who download content regularly via p2p or some alternative method wouldn't have bought it anyway. How they can ignore this simple fact is beyond me.
Besides if they really want to fight "illicit" downloading, they should start by doing
- Lowering Prices
- Removing DRM (Been proved time and time again that it's useless and actually encourages piracy in places, case in point; the game Spore).
- Moving more content online and making it easily accessible.

If they'd screw their heads on and actually look down this road rather than hassling ISPs, then they'd fare a lot better.
Technology has to be harnessed, not fought. The days of physical media truly are numbered IMO.

judge jankum
January 4th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I agree, if I was a artist I would just post my songs on the internet to be downloaded. People who are going to pirate are still going to pirate. Those who buy CDs buy to have the CD, not just the music on it. Not to mention most money is made from Touring.

Locks only keep honest people honest..
Mini concerts and low budget shows are what we did this past summer, and I loved every minute...I'd never want to make a fan feel like they'd stole something....I love my audiance!!!!! Sometimes I made a few bucks, sometimes I did good to break even, but "they" made me feel alive every time!!! Money can't buy that...

xuCGC002
January 4th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Bono... Go away... Please...

phrostbyte
January 4th, 2010, 05:16 AM
What's actually worth noting in addition to all this garbage and hullabaloo is that the vast majority of these "losses" that the Entertainment industry is touting is based on the notion that:
1 Download = 1 Lost Sale
As you said people who are going to pirate whatever aren't automatically going to change their ways because of restrictions put in place. It's safe to say that the vast majority of those who download content regularly via p2p or some alternative method wouldn't have bought it anyway. How they can ignore this simple fact is beyond me.
Besides if they really want to fight "illicit" downloading, they should start by doing
- Lowering Prices
- Removing DRM (Been proved time and time again that it's useless and actually encourages piracy in places, case in point; the game Spore).
- Moving more content online and making it easily accessible.

If they'd screw their heads on and actually look down this road rather than hassling ISPs, then they'd fare a lot better.
Technology has to be harnessed, not fought. The days of physical media truly are numbered IMO.

In the modern world, the purpose of a record company is pretty much dead. Since the Internet has made it easier to artists to connect directly with fans, and there is no problem of distribution.

Basically I really doubt there is any way for the "record industry" to fix the situation without killing the Internet (and that's on the table), or disappearing. The way to save to the free Internet is to somehow expiate their bankruptcy.

Geeks also have to get more involved in politics to counter their massive lobbying power. If they own some Congresscritters, well we need to own some of our own.

Beezleray
January 4th, 2010, 05:37 AM
In the modern world, the purpose of a record company is pretty much dead. Since the Internet has made it easier to artists to connect directly with fans, and there is no problem of distribution.

Hence their strong push against Net Neutrality, they basically are trying to kill the Internet...and there is even a slight chance that might happen.

judge jankum
January 4th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Hence their strong push against Net Neutrality, they basically are trying to kill the Internet...and there is even a slight chance that might happen.
When artists and record companies start (and they already have) feeling this way, they must take the stage and see their audiance as an enemy instead of fans......sad...

starcannon
January 4th, 2010, 06:05 AM
To listen to them, just do cat /proc/kcore > /dev/dsp. The sound it makes is virtually identical to bono's inconsolable screaming.

:lolflag:

/proc/kcore > /dev/dsp
bash: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busyLed Zeppelin was busy playing on that device :)

pwnst*r
January 4th, 2010, 06:07 AM

oh boy.

starcannon
January 4th, 2010, 06:08 AM
oh boy.
???

judge jankum
January 4th, 2010, 06:10 AM
oh boy.
oh heck"

starcannon
January 4th, 2010, 06:11 AM
[

The Great Firewall of China is not working, if any government thinks they can do better...
I am not a "praying" or "faithful" person, but, if I were, I'd be praying for Net Neutrality, and if the anti free speech people take it from us, I have no doubt, I'll be doing the same thing as millions of Chinese do in order to get out and see whats REALLY happening out there.

"They" can try to blindfold us, but most of us will continue to peek out from under the mask.

Groucho Marxist
January 4th, 2010, 06:29 AM

This is coming from the same singer who purchases first-class airline tickets for his favorite hat; his input should be taken with a grain of rice.

If he and his lobbyist friends really wished to make significant efforts to curb music piracy, they should follow the advice of Tom Petty; drop the prices of individual CDs from $20 (or, in some cases, more) back to their original price of $8.98.

To quote a 2002 interview from Rolling Stone magazine (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5933643/the_ten_things_that_****_off_tom_petty),

"It's funny how the music industry is enraged about the Internet and the way things are copied without being paid for. But you know why people steal the music? Because they can't afford the music. I'm not condoning downloading music for free. I don't think that's really fair, but I understand it. If you brought CD prices back down to $8.98, you would solve a lot of the industry's problems. You are already seeing it a little -- the White Stripes albums selling for $9.99. Everyone still makes a healthy profit; it might get the music business back on its feet."

Crunchy the Headcrab
January 4th, 2010, 06:59 AM
I never understood locks. Though, those who are honest will just have an extra lock, and those that aren't will find a way around it. The people hurting the most are the ones who have to enforce it. Not the ones who want to enforce it, the ones who must enforce it.
Locks aren't free, somebody has to pay for the lock, for it's installation, and for it's maintenance. They the police also have to be paid to enforce the law that you're not able to break someone's lock and enter their home.

(okay, you might not really have to pay anything to maintain the lock on your home, but I mentioned that because with this "LOCK" you would.

I hate Bono.

Lol. This.

Gizenshya
January 4th, 2010, 07:32 AM
[

the great firewall of china is not working, if any government thinks they can do better...
I am not a "praying" or "faithful" person, but, if i were, i'd be praying for net neutrality, and if the anti free speech people take it from us, i have no doubt, i'll be doing the same thing as millions of chinese do in order to get out and see whats really happening out there.

"they" can try to blindfold us, but most of us will continue to peek out from under the mask.

+1

purgatori
January 4th, 2010, 07:36 AM
**Looks at the livephish.com website** time for more artists to break away from these moguls and distribute their own music for a greater share of the profits.

judge jankum
January 4th, 2010, 07:48 AM
**Looks at the livephish.com website** time for more artists to break away from these moguls and distribute their own music for a greater share of the profits.
I use to have my music for $099 per song download, then I changed it to a free download. I figure anyone who'd take the time to download a song would surely come to see a live show if I'm in the area....I feel like I've made much more than I've lost..

Simian?????? man I look rough!!!!!!!!!

purgatori
January 4th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I use to have my music for $099 per song download, then I changed it to a free download. I figure anyone who'd take the time to download a song would surely come to see a live show if I'm in the area....I feel like I've made much more than I've lost..

Good to hear :)

murderslastcrow
January 4th, 2010, 08:28 AM
The internet needs to have its own country, with a wiki-based legal system.

Zoot7
January 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Basically I really doubt there is any way for the "record industry" to fix the situation without killing the Internet (and that's on the table), or disappearing. The way to save to the free Internet is to somehow expiate their bankruptcy.
That's exactly it.
All they're doing is trying to fight to sustain a totally obsolete business model that doesn't work anymore.
What I'd say is most likely to happen is that people will look towards services like VPNs, and then they're going to be further dead in the water.
Honestly it's hard to have pity for the entertainment industry considering how they've treated customers, artists, writers alike down through the years. They've had it too good for too long now.

/proc/kcore > /dev/dsp
bash: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busyLed Zeppelin was busy playing on that device :)
Haha, run it as root, it's worth hearing the resemblance, even if it means pausing Led Zeppelin. ;)

EDIT: According to this France are to implement the elusive "3 Strikes" regime.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8436745.stm
This is what you get when you've politicians in bed with the entertainment industry. :rolleyes: It's absolutely despicable that you have companies hellbent on screwing anyone for profit dictating the use of what is becoming an essential service in today's world.
Here's a nice article exploring ways to get around it.
http://torrentfreak.com/six-ways-file-sharers-will-neutralize-3-strikes-100102/

Khakilang
January 4th, 2010, 10:24 AM
In the name of love. Love for money? Love for freedom?

judge jankum
January 4th, 2010, 10:27 AM
In the name of love. Love for money? Love for freedom?

Without love,,,,money and freedom are worth nothing....

gsmanners
January 4th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Phase 1) Shut down copyright infringement "inducement" sources. Sources outsource.

Phase 2) Use lawyers to strong-arm innocent people out of (what the media companies consider) pocket change. Lawyers run out of people to sue, starting to see countersuits that are looking awfully expensive.

Phase 3) Lobby governments to "track" file transfers. Everyone + their dog uses encryption.

Phase 4) ???

judge jankum
January 4th, 2010, 01:16 PM
[quote=gsmanners;8607720]Phase 1) Shut down copyright infringement "inducement" sources. Sources outsource.

Phase 2) Use lawyers to strong-arm innocent people out of (what the media companies consider) pocket change. Lawyers run out of people to sue, starting to see countersuits that are looking awfully expensive.

Phase 3) Lobby governments to "track" file transfers. Everyone + their dog uses encryption.

Phase 4) Run like hell

Exodist
January 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM
God, I hate Bono.

I agree.. His loss of record sales isnt due to music pirating. Its due to his attitude and ******* off of people that used to listen to him. Another band suffering from foot-in-mouth issues is Metallica. People coppied cassette tapes for years and that never hurt their records sales..

Keyper7
January 4th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I'll give Bono the benefit of the doubt and believe he's not being motivated by greed, but by an actual belief that file-sharing is a real threat.

That said, the subject of content tracking is a major can of worms, comparable to the discussion about where cameras can be installed and where they can not. Suggesting it as a solution is a little bit naitve, and borderline irresponsible.

SuperSonic4
January 4th, 2010, 03:09 PM
EDIT: According to this France are to implement the elusive "3 Strikes" regime.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8436745.stm
This is what you get when you've politicians in bed with the entertainment industry. :rolleyes: It's absolutely despicable that you have companies hellbent on screwing anyone for profit dictating the use of what is becoming an essential service in today's world.
Here's a nice article exploring ways to get around it.
http://torrentfreak.com/six-ways-file-sharers-will-neutralize-3-strikes-100102/

Didn't that come into force on January 1st?

I've never liked Bono - his arrogance is only surpassed by Alex Ferguson and Christiano Ronaldo *washes mouth out with soap*. It's as the old joke goes
Q: What is the difference between God and Bono?
A: God doesn't stroll around Dublin thinking he's Bono

As South Park pointed out - Bono is the biggest turd in the world XD

cascade9
January 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Same Bono of U2 that talks a lot about "Make Poverty History" moved his music publishing company to the Netherlands after Ireland dropped a tax exemption on music publishing?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aef6sR60oDgM&refer=home

Of coruse, its possible that he believes the whole 'if I make lots of money then I am in a position to help people' idea, but previous statements make him look like a hypocritical twerp.

If he keeps going like this, he'll get a noble peace prize.

[

The Great Firewall of China is not working, if any government thinks they can do better...
I am not a "praying" or "faithful" person, but, if I were, I'd be praying for Net Neutrality, and if the anti free speech people take it from us, I have no doubt, I'll be doing the same thing as millions of Chinese do in order to get out and see whats REALLY happening out there.

"They" can try to blindfold us, but most of us will continue to peek out from under the mask.

/rant mode on

They are trying to go to a similar place here ('mandatory internet filtering') and sorry to say, the campaign to get it in is working (even if the 'solution' is a joke).

I think the logic is two-fold.
1- 'somebody needs to do something about this mess, and if nobody else will then its down to us'
2- 'if _everybody_ filters the internet, then nothing bad can happen, right?'
Which is stupid, but its pretty much a non-issue in the opinion of the vast majority of people. Non-issue, and no-body wants to appear 'soft on peadophilia'. Anytime that there is any reasonable dissent to the internet filter here, the government starts with 'will somebody please think of the children? if you are against us, then you must be a kiddy-fiddler'

Its not about peadophilia, but thats the governments spin (its more about making the 'internet a place of business, not this anarchy that no-body makes money off'). When it passes here, it will be the spin that every other government will use as well.

/rant mode off

Zoot7
January 4th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I agree.. His loss of record sales isnt due to music pirating. Its due to his attitude and ******* off of people that used to listen to him. Another band suffering from foot-in-mouth issues is Metallica. People coppied cassette tapes for years and that never hurt their records sales..
Yes exactly, any artist that goes on that way deserves no respect or support IMO.

Didn't that come into force on January 1st?
Yes I think so.

As South Park pointed out - Bono is the biggest turd in the world XD
Every time I see Bono I think of that South Park episode. :lolflag:

Gizenshya
January 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Phase 1) Shut down copyright infringement "inducement" sources. Sources outsource.

Phase 4) Collect underpants

Phase 5) ???

Phase 6) Profit

Fixed.

(reference) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnomes_(South_Park))

Groucho Marxist
January 4th, 2010, 06:03 PM
And one of those comments I found particularly interesting mentioned this link.
United States Bureau of Economic Analysis (http://www.bea.gov/industry/gpotables/gpo_action.cfm?anon=343982&table_id=24753&format_type=0)

Look at line 47,
47 Motion picture and sound recording industries 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3

0.3 = 0.003 % of the total GDP in the United States. Not only did Bono overstate the portion of GDP from these "media moguls", but he also failed to note they retained the same piece of the pie for the last 5 years.

That's not out of line for media industries. What struck me as particularly underhanded was the fact that the MPAA produces its own questionable figures for revenue loss due to piracy.

Tristam Green
January 4th, 2010, 06:52 PM

Irony is that Metallica's original way of getting to the masses was BY WAY of copied cassette tapes, that they'd hand out at local shows.

Bono = a Lars for the new decade.

Cam42
January 4th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I love Bono!

In U2

This.

Bono can be quite ridiculous outside of the band.

starcannon
January 4th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Irony is that Metallica's original way of getting to the masses was BY WAY of copied cassette tapes, that they'd hand out at local shows.

Bono = a Lars for the new decade.
I don't have a problem with an artist or some other media creator wishing to control and make money from their hard work; I do have issues with some of the ways they wish to control and make money from their work how ever, and what Bono is suggesting is outrageous.

As far as Metallica and the free tapes that were mentioned goes, the key thing here is they used to hand out tapes at local shows, and now they don't. It is their music, they created it, it is their right to decide what happens with their creation. When they were handing them out at shows "for free", it wasn't because they were being nice guys, it was a calculated promotional move, and it worked. Once they got a large enough fan base, they did what most professional musicians do, they started selling their music, the promo is over. Some musicians or software writers choose to continue giving their creations away free of charge, and just like those that sell their works, it is their right to do so. And ultimately, because there is legally free music, software, books, etc., there is no need to take something that is not freely given. Now, whether a recording company, or software company also makes money from the people who write or record does not matter, that is between the software writers, musicians, or whoever, and the people they signed contracts with, it does not change the fact that the works they produce are not free, not free as in beer, not free as in liberated; no amount of justification will change that.
I would recommend Jamendo and Sourceforge as some great places to go find legally and ethically free music and software, if you prefer commercial music and applications, I would recommend buying them from a reputable vendor.

phrostbyte
January 4th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I don't have a problem with an artist or some other media creator wishing to control and make money from their hard work; I do have issues with some of the ways they wish to control and make money from their work how ever, and what Bono is suggesting is outrageous.

As far as Metallica and the free tapes that were mentioned goes, the key thing here is they used to hand out tapes at local shows, and now they don't. It is their music, they created it, it is their right to decide what happens with their creation. When they were handing them out at shows "for free", it wasn't because they were being nice guys, it was a calculated promotional move, and it worked. Once they got a large enough fan base, they did what most professional musicians do, they started selling their music, the promo is over. Some musicians or software writers choose to continue giving their creations away free of charge, and just like those that sell their works, it is their right to do so. And ultimately, because there is legally free music, software, books, etc., there is no need to take something that is not freely given. Now, whether a recording company, or software company also makes money from the people who write or record does not matter, that is between the software writers, musicians, or whoever, and the people they signed contracts with, it does not change the fact that the works they produce are not free, not free as in beer, not free as in liberated; no amount of justification will change that.
I would recommend Jamendo and Sourceforge as some great places to go find legally and ethically free music and software, if you prefer commercial music and applications, I would recommend buying them from a reputable vendor.

Jamendo++. Other good sites are Magnatune and OC Remix.

I think trading in Creative Commons music is really the best way to give the finger to the recording industry. Because it literally has the same effect on their business as piracy, but there is nothing they can do about it. :)

Another thing is to encourage mashup/DJ artists who work with unauthorized music. Eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNzrwh2Z2hQ, or Dangermouse's Gray Album. The way to counter the idea that "piracy hampers creativity" is for the so called pirates to become creative themselves. :) When they actually take down such music, it starts to look more and more like THEY are the ones hampering creativity. The more average people get affected by copyright, the faster this system will fall.