PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 9.10, Grub won't upgrade

jus71n742
January 3rd, 2010, 11:17 PM
I deleted the old partition that contained 8.04. I then proceeded to install 9.10 along side Windows 7 ultimate. When I was installing I recieved a prompt to install Grub to the master boot record. I said yes. Should I have said No? Because when I now boot, I get GRUB loading stage1.5

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 15

So I am guessing that I should not have installed GRUB to the master boot record.
Correct?
I figured it would over write the old grub also.

jus71n742
January 4th, 2010, 04:44 AM
ok, so I have rebooted with an 8.04 live cd just to see what I can find. I know now that it can't find what isn't there. So my question is now this. how can I delete GRUB 1.5 so that GRUB 2.0 can take over? Or just a way to install GRUB legacy (1.5) since in the installation the installer would not complete installation with 1.5. It basically demanded 2.0

onesojourner
January 6th, 2010, 06:48 AM
bump. I would like to know how to do this too.

kansasnoob
January 6th, 2010, 07:02 AM

Well I hadn't seen the OP's post but in order to sort this out we'd need to see your individual results from the Boot Info script as described here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280

But just as an FYI the old grub is 0.97, package name "grub", aka legacy grub or grub-legacy. The new grub is commonly referred to as grub2 although the package name is "grub-pc" and it's version # is 1.97.

jus71n742
February 15th, 2010, 05:26 AM

Best to just do a clean install. Unless you do an upgrade to 9.10. Then you can do an update on GRUB

darkod
February 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Best to just do a clean install. Unless you do an upgrade to 9.10. Then you can do an update on GRUB

9.10 already comes with grub2 (ver number 1.97) so there is no need to upgrade grub, it's already the latest. You didn't investigate further your original problem, t could have been a number of reasons. For example, if you have 2 or more disks maybe grub2 from the new install went to a different disk than you expected, and that error was in fact because you were booting from another hdd and the 8.04 partition with the old grub1 config files is gone.
Just an assumption.
One thing is for sure, clean install of 9.10 comes with grub2.