PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty Faster Than Karmic?!

iTheBadGuy
January 3rd, 2010, 10:35 PM
This is embarrassing, I have Windows XP in one drive and Ubunut 9.10 in another, my Windows drive is 40GB, my Ubuntu drive is 120GB(/home is also partitioned there). So why is my Windows performing faster than my Ubuntu?!. I had Jaunty installed a while back and it was faster than my Windows XP, hands down - way faster.

These are my PC specs: AMD Sepron™ 3000+ 384MB of RAM (ddr). Yeah it's old, but it's not like I wasn't using the same PC with my other Ubuntu installation...

The only difference between my Jaunty & Karmic is that I used ext3 for Jaunty & ext4 for Karmic, could that be the reason for it acting so slow?. This is not just happening now, it's been going on since I installed it. I only thought of changing to 9.04 or 8.04 after I booted into Windows XP to mess with Photoshop and I noticed it was way faster than the Karmic I have installed in my second HDD.

Any ideas as to why it's slower? Should I just switch to 8.04? seeing as it's maintained until 2011 I might just switch and install with ext3..

iTheBadGuy
January 4th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Cool, so you guys and gals have no idea why Karmic is acting so sluggish.. ah well, I'll install 8.04 today and posting my results. I still think it might be the ext4 because I don't think there is much difference from Karmic and Jaunty when it comes to performance, only difference is the ext3&4.

zine92
January 4th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Actually i think for karmic it is new therefore new things introduced so if you are looking for a stable system, Jaunty is not a bad idea to boot with and you are right. Ext4 do have their own problems and if you are not afraid of losing your data and reformarting and stuff. Stick to jaunty. Karmic i think introduce a lot of new things but it still must be perfected in the mean time. But for me. Karmic is working great except my hybrid graphics card which is supported with any linux kernel.

iTheBadGuy
January 4th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Well, I installed 8.04 with EXT3 and it's blazing fast. After I install all the updates, programs and restricted drivers, everything is still amazingly fast. Guess my problem was ext4(?), or maybe it was Karmic. Anyway, I'll stick to 8.04 until it's not maintained :D