PDA

View Full Version : Do any of the audio players have a syncing ability like that of iTunes?

user1397
January 3rd, 2010, 10:10 PM
I'm talking about banshee, listen, rhythmbox, exaile, amarok, etc.

Can any of these sync libraries with one click like iTunes?

Paqman
January 3rd, 2010, 10:17 PM
I know Banshee can do it with less than one click. If you set it up that way it'll sync whatever type of content you want whenever you plug your device in.

gnomeuser
January 3rd, 2010, 10:35 PM
I know Banshee can do it with less than one click. If you set it up that way it'll sync whatever type of content you want whenever you plug your device in.

And the upcoming 1.6 release will also be able to sync devices automatically based on smart playlists. Very useful for situations where size of collection > capacity of device.

user1397
January 4th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Ok cool, I'll give banshee a try and I'll report how it goes.

Xbehave
January 4th, 2010, 01:22 AM
use rsync? unless your stuck with an ipod, rsync can sync directories irrespective of mediaplayer.

user1397
January 4th, 2010, 05:18 AM
use rsync? unless your stuck with an ipod, rsync can sync directories irrespective of mediaplayer.Yup, I am stuck with an ipod unfortunately. Probably not buying anything apple ever again.

Xbehave
January 4th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Yup, I am stuck with an ipod unfortunately. Probably not buying anything apple ever again.
you might be able to mount it as a virtual partition. I think most linux mediaplayers can add/remove music but I can't find a sync option in amarok 2.

user1397
January 5th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I know Banshee can do it with less than one click. If you set it up that way it'll sync whatever type of content you want whenever you plug your device in.So my ipod isn't showing up automatically on the left window pane in banshee after I plug it in (even after the autostart program asks me what to open my ipod with, and I select banshee). It's an ipod classic. It shows up automatically in rhythmbox, any ideas on how to achieve this with banshee?

gnomeuser
January 5th, 2010, 06:17 AM
So my ipod isn't showing up automatically on the left window pane in banshee after I plug it in (even after the autostart program asks me what to open my ipod with, and I select banshee). It's an ipod classic. It shows up automatically in rhythmbox, any ideas on how to achieve this with banshee?

This is because Ubuntu moved away from HAL, and this broke the special iPod handling application called podsleuth. I believe you can install banshee from the ppa (can't remember if it's the banshee, banshee-unstable or banshee-daily one that has the required code). That way you will get the required ipod-sharp, posleuth and banshee to support the new "devicekit" world.

user1397
January 6th, 2010, 11:33 PM
This is because Ubuntu moved away from HAL, and this broke the special iPod handling application called podsleuth. I believe you can install banshee from the ppa (can't remember if it's the banshee, banshee-unstable or banshee-daily one that has the required code). That way you will get the required ipod-sharp, posleuth and banshee to support the new "devicekit" world.Ah, so how does rhythmbox do it then?

Out of all the media players I've tried it's the only one so far that seems to just automatically detect and show my ipod when I connect it, sans configuration

Xbehave
January 6th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Ah, so how does rhythmbox do it then?

Out of all the media players I've tried it's the only one so far that seems to just automatically detect and show my ipod when I connect it, sans configuration
Amarok will too, it just lacks proper synciness AFAIK. i'd guess it's because rythembox and kde both use the new API, but new enough versions of any media player should (in theory) support it.