PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mouse stops working after Ubuntu 9.10 upgrade

ashermj94
January 3rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
Hi all,

Before I upgraded, I used Ubuntu 9.04 on my Playstation 3. It worked absolutely fine. A couple of days back, I decided to upgrade to ubuntu 9.10 using the update manager. The installation process seemed to go fine, until I booted up the new version. When I booted up, my mouse cursor wouldn't move, whilst my keyboard worked fine, I unplugged and plugged it back in and swapped USB ports, but it came to no use. I reinstalled Jaunty and tried the entire installation process again. After installing the new version again, the same problem occured, my mouse just wouldn't work.

When I type in the command 'uname -a' it comes up with something (I apologize, I am a Linux noob) to do with the 2.6.24 Linux kernel, Ubuntu 9.10 is on the 2.6.31 kernel. Is this the problem? I don't understand what is going on or what the solution is. My mouse is a HP optical mouse if that helps. I can't bring up the terminal window because my mouse just doesn't work, which is really annoying me. Please help ASAP, thanks.

mörgæs
January 4th, 2010, 03:43 PM
2.6.24 was used in ubuntu 8.04, not 9.04. Are you sure that it didn't say 2.6.28?

What happens if you burn 9.10 on a live CD? If this works, you could install 9.10 from the CD (not updating from the previous version).

ashermj94
January 4th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Before starting the thread, I had already tried the alternate iso with no success. I burned the desktop iso for 9.10 on a CD-R just now. Put it in my PS3 80GB, and I am not able to install the live cd on my system, because the mouse cursor STILL doesn't move! :(
It's getting annoying now, I might just install 9.04 back onto my PS3 and wait for 10.04.

mörgæs
January 5th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Yes, that would also be my suggestion.