PDA

View Full Version : whats your favorite coffee bean brand/blend ?

djmh
January 3rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
i personally enjoy bigbys, and caribou brand - i dont have a favorite blend of theirs ...but sumatra is my favorite all time blend !!

i have a french press, and a cuisinart grind and brew :)

what coffees do you like ?

is there a such thing as a coffee thats tastes like the beans smell ?

caribou breakfast blend is pretty close - but the smell of coffee beans and the taste is usually slightly different, i would love to find coffee that tastes like sumatra smells !!

HappinessNow
January 3rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
I try to stay away from coffee, too much caffeine for me it keeps me up for days.

cjohnston
January 3rd, 2010, 09:25 PM
Dunkin Dougnuts

MooPi
January 3rd, 2010, 09:27 PM
Quartermaine Coffee Roasters, and I generally purchase the house blend. Last purchase I went nuts and bought some free trade, Costa Rican, and something called Holiday Blend. All you coffee lovers be sure to support your coffee roasters and always brew with a coffee press. Which reminds me my pot is empty.

starcannon
January 3rd, 2010, 09:27 PM
I like all the fresh roast stuff at Costco, whole bean, mmm mmm yummy.

sports fan Matt
January 3rd, 2010, 09:29 PM
+1 for Dunkin Donuts.

djmh
January 3rd, 2010, 09:30 PM
I try to stay away from coffee, too much caffeine and bad for the teeth.

Want a drug that could lower your risk of diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and colon cancer? That could lift your mood and treat headaches? That could lower your risk of cavities?

If it sounds too good to be true, think again.

Coffee, the much maligned but undoubtedly beloved beverage, just made headlines for possibly cutting the risk of the latest disease epidemic, type 2 diabetes. And the real news seems to be that the more you drink, the better.

i think this debate can go back and forth all day ...

djmh
January 3rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food

Dharmachakra
January 3rd, 2010, 09:32 PM
There's a place around here called Beanetics. They purchase and roast their own beans on site and they're damn good. Of course, I buy them within three days of roasting and only grind with a burr mill grinder. ;)

Intelligentsia is also pretty good, but a bit pricey.

I had a neighbor who operated a coffee roasting joint in his retirement. He got me "in" to coffee.

HappinessNow
January 3rd, 2010, 09:32 PM
I try to stay away from coffee, too much caffeine for me it keeps me up for days.

edited my original post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8604241&postcount=2

djmh
January 3rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
There's a place around hear called Beanetics. They purchase and roast their own beans on site and they're damn good. Of course, I buy them within three days of roasting and only grind with a burr mill grinder. ;)

Intelligentsia is also pretty good, but a bit pricey.

I had a neighbor who operated a coffee roasting joint in his retirement. He got me "in" to coffee.

i gotta find a place like that !!

winotree
January 3rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
I prefer Guatemalan -- my brother's got a place on Lake Atitlan and sometimes brings me a couple bags of the local roast. OP -- yes, Sumatran coffee is real fine! :D

Exodist
January 3rd, 2010, 09:40 PM
Folgers Hazel Nut is my fav non-expensive-but-still-awesome coffee.

clanky
January 3rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
I have recently bought an espresso machine (Gaggia Baby), best money I have ever spent, I grind my own beans, usually a mix of arabica and robusta beans.

The only problem now is that my friends have realised that as well as having home baked croissants I now also have fresh espresso in the morning which means that I usually have a lot of people "just calling by" in the mornings.

tacantara
January 3rd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Another +1 for Dunkin Donuts, but my most favorite coffee is FREE ;)

djmh
January 3rd, 2010, 10:25 PM
huh, im going to have to try dunkin donuts ...what blend is it that you guys like ?

jordilin
January 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
Nespresso system is very nice with lots of varieties and nice machines as well. Is the one I have and many companies I've worked have that system as well for their employees.

laceration
January 3rd, 2010, 11:58 PM
A very important thing about coffee is the freshness of the roast. I used to buy green beans and roast it myself, but this was very time consuming and difficult to do well--maybe even impossible without very expensive equipment. So I found a local roaster who knows his stuff + roasts daily. I am a loyal customer. I like to try different varieties. An indicator of inferior coffee, prevalent in mass market brands, is burnt beans. This will impress the naive coffee drinker with its overpowering taste, but offends the learned coffee palette. However I still will take a free cup of that swill at the bank or wherever and enjoy it! I use an Aeropress, which rivals $1000 espresso machines and only costs around $30.

djmh
January 4th, 2010, 12:01 AM
yeah, im going to have to find a local roaster !

and this aeropress sounds pretty good, i read about it on lifehacker before !!

drawkcab
January 4th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I love locally-roasted guatemalan. Haven't had it in years since no one around these parts seems to roast a guatemalan bean.

vacc73
January 4th, 2010, 12:55 AM
At home I don't have a particular brand as long as it's a dark roast(preferably french), other than that Tim Horton's is what I like :guitar:

73ckn797
January 4th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Used to drink Chock Full of Nuts. Now buy Starbucks House Blend Whole Bean from BJ's Wholesale Club. I have considered checking Dunkin Donuts from the comments of many friends. We grind the beans and use a Bunn brewer. Fresh cup of coffee in 3 minutes.

djmh
January 4th, 2010, 02:50 AM
i heard starbucks scorches there beans, making people think they are getting a bold cup of java, but i still drink it - cause even if they do scorch them, who really cares .... as long as i enjoy the taste !!

73ckn797
January 4th, 2010, 03:10 AM
.... as long as i enjoy the taste !!
That is what is most important. It does not matter what the opinions of others are.