PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't turn off effects????

confubar
January 3rd, 2010, 07:14 PM
I think my visual effects function may be malfunctioning, and would appreciate advice.
Because of problems with Blender3d, I tried setting effects to None, but still got the two-rectangles thingy when switching desktops.
Tried Extra.
I did Preferences> Appearance> Visual Effects> none, and it did not stop the windows from flapping like laundry in the wind when moved. Did it again,seemed to get effects out of extra...... temporarily. The next time I looked, it had reverted.
I would particularly appreciate good advice, because I am a visual artist and very much want to use Blender.

GalloGlas
January 3rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
Turning the effects to none should kill it, but... you got compiz installed or something? If so, make sure you've disabled it.

I know it may be redundant but check your settings again. Right click your desktop and click change background then select the visual effects tab. Ensure none is selected.

Weird problem tho... most people have a problem not being able to ENABLE the effects.

confubar
January 3rd, 2010, 07:54 PM
Synaptic says I have compiz, compiz-plugins, compiz-manager. How do I disable it.... can I just remove the damn thing?

GalloGlas
January 4th, 2010, 04:41 PM
You could remove it... but perhaps this will work:

Install Compiz Fusion Icon. It'll place it under system tools in your Applications menu. Set it to run on startup. It should place an icon on your task bar. Right click it and go to "Select Window Manager". You can switch in and out of Compiz quickly.

GalloGlas
January 16th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Just curious... how did you make out?

confubar
January 16th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Just curious... how did you make out?

Thanks, GalloGlas...
I removed Compiz and all its kittens, and find I don't miss it much.
Unfortunately:-( it did not fix the problem I have with Blender....
I will have to try upgrading to 9.10 the next time I am somewhere with a decent download speed.