PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Flash Horrid

inobe
January 3rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
flash for linux is something else, feels like i'm being treated like second best.

dual core cpu and 4 gigs of ram and 8 series nvidia card, i will confirm this not being a performance issue.

ajgreeny
January 3rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
What problems do you see?
32 or 64 bit system and flash?

I have a sempron 2400+ with 2gb ram and an old ati 9200se graphics card but flahs on my system is great, particularly with the newest 10.0.r42 version. Any problems I have are more down to speed of downloads and bandwidth.

Skripka
January 3rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
flash for linux is something else, feels like i'm being treated like second best.

dual core cpu and 4 gigs of ram and 8 series nvidia card, i will confirm this not being a performance issue.

Works great by and large here. Ymmv

inobe
January 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM
64bit plugin installed, i purged the original 32bit plugin, i couldn't adjust volume controls or make selections but the same ordeal, extremely high cpu usage and pause framing.

using hulu desktop seems worse.

particularly with the newest 10.0.r42 version

i am seeing flickering to the extreme, i also read and article pertaining to mac machines also experiencing the flicker.

Skripka
January 3rd, 2010, 06:55 PM
64bit plugin installed, i purged the original 32bit plugin, i couldn't adjust volume controls or make selections but the same ordeal, extremely high cpu usage and pause framing.

using hulu desktop seems worse.

i am seeing flickering to the extreme, i also read and article pertaining to mac machines also experiencing the flicker.

Hulu problems I've seen-but they seem localized to Hulu which causes me to think it is a problem on the Hulu end and not the plugin. i.e. I haven't seen similar problems on other flash websites on Linux.

inobe
January 3rd, 2010, 07:12 PM
on my daughters machine with linux, she get almost 100% cpu usage being on gaia.com, there is also the infamous flickering.

the system has pretty much the same specs, it's an e6850 with 4gigs ram and 9800gtx nvidia card, she has karmic installed.

i was over at adobe forums and noticed most linux questions unanswered, i even noticed some linux devs trying to get answers.

of course it's a proprietary app at best.

alakazam
January 3rd, 2010, 07:34 PM

You can have the best harware in the world, yet it seems Linux only runs to a certain limitations. so the hardware will never show its capabilities.

But it seems fine for me.

lovinglinux
January 3rd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Flash was terrible with my old P4 processor, but since I upgraded to a Core2 Duo, everything is fine. It still uses about 30%-40% of CPU but plays smoothly.

I have a nvidia 7300GT, which is not a powerful card.

Perhaps you could try the Flash Optimizations from Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567).

inobe
January 3rd, 2010, 07:46 PM
interesting, i ran into this blog

http://chogydan.blogspot.com/2010/01/flashy-flash-flashin-ubuntu-karmic.html

Perhaps you could try the Flash Optimizations from Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread.

i will have a look

inobe
January 3rd, 2010, 08:04 PM
hey guys whats up on the gnash development, are they getting close with opensource flash ?

lovinglinux
January 3rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
interesting, i ran into this blog

http://chogydan.blogspot.com/2010/01/flashy-flash-flashin-ubuntu-karmic.html

Thanks. That's great. I was trying to fix that problem for along time on another machine. Apparently it fixes the problem of flash artifacts popping.

EDIT: hmmm, it doesn't work.

inobe
January 3rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks. That's great. I was trying to fix that problem for along time on another machine. Apparently it fixes the problem of flash artifacts popping.

i haven't tried it yet' but was about to.

lovinglinux
January 3rd, 2010, 08:20 PM
i haven't tried it yet' but was about to.

Please let me know if that works for you.

NoaHall
January 3rd, 2010, 08:54 PM
Works better on GNU/Linux than on Windows for me.

Uncle Spellbinder
January 3rd, 2010, 08:58 PM
Not sure on gnash development. All I can say is I've not had flash issues since Hardy. Works just as id does on Windows in my case. 2 Different computers, 3 different Linux OS's.

inobe
January 3rd, 2010, 10:18 PM
Please let me know if that works for you.

i added the ppa and reloaded the sources list, ran upgrade in terminal, and will assume i'm suppose to receive an update ?

what is the package name so i can manually search ?

lovinglinux
January 4th, 2010, 04:20 AM
i added the ppa and reloaded the sources list, ran upgrade in terminal, and will assume i'm suppose to receive an update ?

what is the package name so i can manually search ?

I didn't try the ppa, just the gconf settings.

hoppipolla
January 4th, 2010, 04:31 AM

yeah I tell you man... I lie awake at NIGHT worrying about Linux Flash performance! hehehe :)

Sorry I'm just teasing, but yeah I do know what you mean :)

I think for most people it's certainly adequate enough, and Adobe are improving it. On top of that, people have claimed we are started to shift to HTML 5 and all that jazz so maybe that will render these problems a thing of the past.. who knows eh? :)

murderslastcrow
January 4th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Yeah, it's been improving. I'm afraid that HTML5 will go the way of OGV and OGG. Steady and increasing adoption, but only gaining about 1/5 of the market due to peoples' wanting to keep with the old, support the old, never move on from the old.

Then again, HTML5 is opposite of ogg in it's availability- it's instantly supported whereas Flash must be downloaded. Ogg needs to use one of the 80 percent of media players that will support it, while mp3 is automatically supported by all of them.

So I guess I see HTML5 being half of the internet, and most certainly Youtube since Google owns it and their making a Linux distro. After all, online video is probably the majority of flash use on the internet. The rest is games and websites, but I don't see too many Flash-based sites, and with HTML5 there's no need to develop your website in flash to make it look incredible.

So really, who knows? Maybe half and half. It's obvious that ogg and HTML5 are far more adequate for the operations people use online. There are just some people who discourage cross-compatibility. *cough*

Marrkk
January 4th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Flash is a cpu hog in any OS ..

thatguruguy
January 4th, 2010, 05:08 AM
The only problem I've had with flash running on 64-bit Ubuntu is a certain weirdness with the poker listings on facebook. Other than that, I'm perfectly happy.

hey guys whats up on the gnash development, are they getting close with opensource flash ?

I wish. My wife is running Ubuntu on an old G4 Mac. I've been able to set her up so she can see youtube videos, but any other site using flash is completely borked.

alakazam
January 4th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Flash is a cpu hog in any OS ..

I dont think it's even installed on Mac, as it has its own player to take care of net video.

thatguruguy
January 4th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Incidentally, I was a web developer for a while, and always HATED flash. One of my clients* wanted to build part of their site in flash, and I talked them into doing it in html after showing them that there was nothing that could be built in flash that I couldn't do in html, and the html was a LOT easier to maintain. I'd be perfectly happy if flash went away once and for all.

alakazam
January 4th, 2010, 05:13 AM
The only problem I've had with flash running on 64-bit Ubuntu is a certain weirdness with the poker listings on facebook. Other than that, I'm perfectly happy.

I'd be more worried about being a member of facebook.

thatguruguy
January 4th, 2010, 05:14 AM

I'd be more worried about being a member of facebook.

It's because my wife wanted me to join. I SWEAR.

hoppipolla
January 4th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I wish. My wife is running Ubuntu on an old G4 Mac. I've been able to set her up so she can see youtube videos, but any other site using flash is completely borked.

Why though? Is it the specs? I mean I've found that as long as you use the official flash plug-in it's 90% fine. What is the issue?

I mean I have problems with HD flash, but that might just be my pc o.O

inobe
January 4th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I didn't try the ppa, just the gconf settings.

that's the second step to install the kernel.

i went ahead and got virtualbox and installed 9.10 in it and test it there, and rite now trying to figure out how to compile the kernel or at least get the package manager to do it, no success yet.

i added the ppa but can't get any upgrades or updates from it.

inobe
January 4th, 2010, 04:05 PM

no good, it's even worse then before, i went ahead and tried another approach after that by enabling unsupported repos.

i have the newest 2.6.31-17 kernel and that has done nothing.

i will confirm that linux has nothing to do with flash issues but flash itself.

lovinglinux
January 4th, 2010, 11:09 PM
no good, it's even worse then before

Here it made it worse too.

chris4585
January 5th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I've had a problem since 8.04. Now after a few hours, flash in firefox wont load or play properly, but when it does play, it plays fine.

squilookle
January 5th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I used to find a big difference between flash performance in Windows and Linux, in the last year or two, not so much, although I think its marginally better in Windows.

Recently on Crunchbang, and Fedora, I had videos running smoothly, and using varying mounts of CPU, upto 100%.

I'm currently using Arch and playback is smooth. I watched a video earlier today and CPU usage hovered at 30%.

I'm using a 5 year old Pentium M, 1.6 ghz.

inobe
January 5th, 2010, 02:05 AM
i am seriously in on this whole flash issue and i think that i came to a conclusion !

i started noticing these affects after nvidia vdpau...

i don't think flash supports nvidia vdpau.

so by total assumption i will asume that being the problem ?