PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with ubuntu install laptop

gregorye70
January 3rd, 2010, 05:38 PM
Hello, I'm new to using ubuntu. I installed 9.10 on both my Dell Dimension 8100 desktop and my HP Presario v5200 laptop. Desktop install was clean, no problems that haven't gotten worked out to this point. The laptop has a few problems even though I used the same install disk for both, the touchpad is haywire, cursor moves all over the place and sometimes willnot click, also ubuntu won't download anything, when I tried to enable the repository in synaptic mgr to download updates it gives me a message "cannot resolve ca.archive.ubuntu.com" I am unable to download flash player etc.

Seems like a fundamental problem with the install, anyone run into this?

tachuela
January 3rd, 2010, 06:13 PM
Burn a new CD from the same ISO or download a new ISO and burn the CD and try to reinstall. Your laptop could have problematic hardware. You could try the Alternate cd.

gregorye70
January 3rd, 2010, 10:54 PM
Thank You, this was after reinstalling several times, the immediate problem was that the internet cable was not clicked in all the way, I also found the solution to the flash player problems = software centre search ubuntu restricted extras, I downloaded it and it had the flash player as part of it, FANTASTIC!! Now the operating system seems to work normally, except for the crazy touchpad.

now I'm going to try to download something called qsynaptics for the touch pad which still acts on its own accord.

Any specific Ideas on fixing crazy touchpad behavior?