PDA

View Full Version : Desktop use, back pain, fatigue, solution

Martial-law
January 3rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Hi everyone,

I use desktop pc for surfing the net and gaming. Since some time I am feeling much pain in my back, neck, head and the right hand using the mouse. So the doctor told me to stop using my pc for sometime. As I need a powerful pc because of my requirements I can not use laptop etc. So anyone give me suggestion as to what position should I keep my desktop pc and what position should I sit. Should I keep it on a small table or on the floor and what position should I sit to avoid the pains. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

The Toxic Mite
January 3rd, 2010, 05:09 PM
To reduce RSI you could get an ergonomic desktop set (keyboard and mouse), and decrease the brightness of the monitor to reduce eye strain. You should also have the monitor at eye level to reduce neck pain. For the back, I would try and sit as straight as possible - the back cushion on your chair might be adjustable.

:)

Barrucadu
January 3rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Do you have a proper computer chair?
ie: 5 legs with wheels on, adjustable height and back.

Sef
January 3rd, 2010, 05:45 PM
I would also recommend some walking or other exercise. Also at least once an hour stand up and move around a bit for about 5 -10 minutes per hour.

Skripka
January 3rd, 2010, 05:51 PM
To reduce RSI you could get an ergonomic desktop set (keyboard and mouse), and decrease the brightness of the monitor to reduce eye strain. You should also have the monitor at eye level to reduce neck pain. For the back, I would try and sit as straight as possible - the back cushion on your chair might be adjustable.

:)

This. Good posture does wonders.

MooPi
January 3rd, 2010, 06:34 PM
I've seen and heard others talk about standing workstations. Get rid of the chair and position your computer on a higher desk. reduces low back and neck pain as well as swelling in legs from sitting for extended periods.

clanky
January 3rd, 2010, 06:38 PM
I would also recommend some walking or other exercise. Also at least once an hour stand up and move around a bit for about 5 -10 minutes per hour.

I find that this works for me. On the odd occasion that i don't get dragged away from my PC by a phone call or a knock at the door I start to get back pain after about 1 hour or so, a short walk always helps.

If you are not using your PC for work then the best solution is to do as your doctor says and simply cut down on use, please refer to my signature for instructions on how to do this.

hessiess
January 3rd, 2010, 06:38 PM
Get rid of the mouse! ether get a graphics tablet or configure your system to be controllable completely with the keyboard. the latter is not difficult on Linux.

Use a tiling window manager like DWM and Vimperator with firefox.

Skripka
January 3rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
Get rid of the mouse! ether get a graphics tablet or configure your system to be controllable completely with the keyboard. the latter is not difficult on Linux.

Use a tiling window manager like DWM and Vimperator with firefox.

It is less hassle, and more beneficial physically-to learn to sit at a computer relaxed and with good posture.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 3rd, 2010, 06:58 PM
In addition to this, install Workrave! Really excellent piece of software :)

infestor
January 3rd, 2010, 07:31 PM
all are important but especially the chair and the monitor most imo

SecretCode
January 3rd, 2010, 07:40 PM
You should sit upright ... if that's not easy in the chair you have, change your chair.

You should sit so your forearms are level (elbow to wrist) when typing or mousing. If you can't adjust your chair like that, change your chair.

And your screen should probably be at eye level (opinions differ on this) - so a laptop/notebook is not likely to be better!

Definitely take a break at least every hour.

The right hand strain can only be due to the mouse and/or the posture. But the neck and head pain could possibly be due to your eyes. Have you had your eyes tested? I now wear glasses for reading and computer work and it's made a huge difference.

steelcap
January 3rd, 2010, 07:54 PM
Get a keyboard tray that allows you to effectively place the keyboard in your lap. I use the one sold by Humanscale. I should be one that can be adjusted to tilt away from your body. Placing the keyboard in your lap allows you to relax your shoulders, as you are not lifting up your arms to reach the keyboard. I also find that I don't have to force myself to sit up straight with the keyboard tray, I can recline in the chair (more natural for my body, and probably most peoples). A relaxed upper body means no more stiff neck and shoulders.

I also switched to a Logitech Trackman wheel, so I don't have to rest my weight on the ball of my hand and move the mouse around. Took about a week of use to get used to it, but I wouldn't go back.

Also if you do a lot of typing I'd recommend getting a good keyboard. I don't mean one of those bendy so called ergonomic ones, but one that provides your fingers with good tactile feedback. Most keyboards these days have rubber domes under the keys, that make them feel all mushy, not letting you know when the actual keystroke has been made. But there are still some keyboards that have real switches. I have a number of old IBM model M keyboards, as well as a few Cherry keyboards (G84-4100). Both give good tactile feedback as to when the keystroke has been made (before the key bottoms out), so you don't have to bang away at the keys, bottoming out and putting extra pressure on finger joints.

skewty
January 3rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
To prevent back pain get a kneeling chair. They suck for the 1st 3 weeks or so but once your knees get used to it it isn't so bad. You shouldn't stay at a computer too long without getting up and walking around and looking at things at different distances as well. This is essential. I go to the gym and do abdominal and lower back exercises this made a HUGE difference in my posture and energy level.

I have this kneeling chair: http://www.chairlines.com/qs/product/-1/2115/116546/0/0

The cushioning isn't great, but the design of the chair is so simple any upholstery shop could upgrade it for you.

As for height, monitor center should be centered with eye level when sitting with good proper posture. (NOTE: back pain is usually because we slouch. We usually slouch because we haven't trained our muscles responsible for posture for endurance)

I believe mouse should be at height where arm is bent at elbow and goes at 90 degrees to desk so that wrist can be in relaxed state while using the mouse.

Hope this helps!

Scott

starcannon
January 3rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
Get a good chair, yep, that means spend some real money. The chair should be adjustable so that you can custom fit it to yourself a bit. It should also have lumbar support.
Get a desk that fits you, too tall or too short causes strain.

Finally, get up and walk around every couple hours at least. a 15minute walk ever 2 hours will do wonders for your overall well being, not just your aching back and neck.

GL and HF