PDA

View Full Version : Google's Chrome is the third most used Web Browser

HappinessNow
January 3rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=142284&d=1262529376
In the last quarter, Chrome, Safari and Opera all set new personal bests for browser market share with 4.63, 4.46 and 2.4 percent respectively. This period marks the first time Chrome has beaten Safari to third spot, while their collective prosperity comes at the expense of IE, which continues to hemorrhage users at a rate of 0.92 percentage points a month. http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/02/internet-explorer-losing-users-as-other-browsers-set-share-recor/

gnomeuser
January 3rd, 2010, 06:10 PM
Congratulations to the Chromium team, they definitely earned their place not just through clean design but also through excellent engineering which has helped create the most secure mainstream browser. A design that is cross platform, highly performant and of high quality at a development pace that is simply stunning.

My hat is off to you good gentlemen (and women)

Shippou
January 3rd, 2010, 06:11 PM
Yes. Die IE, die!

Hehe.

HappinessNow
January 3rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
Congratulations to the Chromium team, they definitely earned their place not just through clean design but also through excellent engineering which has helped create the most secure mainstream browser. A design that is cross platform, highly performant and of high quality at a development pace that is simply stunning.

My hat is off to you good gentlemen (and women)It is very well deserved, I wonder if any other browser has rose to such a user base so quickly?

Yes. Die IE, die!

Hehe.:lolflag:

...anything but IE!

jrusso2
January 3rd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Great I figure when the Linux and Mac versions are complete they will gain even more. Also as the extensions continue to be developed more will switch from Firefox. I am able to run adblock2 on mine but I still want no script!

MichealH
January 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
M$ IE is installed with M$ Win so that is because it is the most popular I ONLY use IE for downloading Chrome!

chris200x9
January 3rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
M$ IE is installed with M$ Win so that is because it is the most popular I ONLY use IE for downloading Chrome!

http://i40.tinypic.com/mcx4kh.jpg

edit: oops, I thought this was the one that said "downloading a better browser" still the point is made :P

HappinessNow
January 3rd, 2010, 09:28 PM
Great I figure when the Linux and Mac versions are complete they will gain even more. Also as the extensions continue to be developed more will switch from Firefox. I am able to run adblock2 on mine but I still want no script!

Running the updated and improved 'AdBlock - Version: 1.2.38' on mine is working great.

:lolflag:

...it does appear at least for now that while IE users are dropping at a steady alarming rate, Chrome users are on the rise. Not sure if there is a correlation but the likelihood seems at least plausible. :P

Paqman
January 3rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
...it does appear at least for now that while IE users are dropping at a steady alarming rate, Chrome users are on the rise. Not sure if there is a correlation but the likelihood seems at least plausible. :P

I would imagine Chrome is mostly drawing from current Firefox users, as once someone has switched once they're more likely to do so in the future. Many people use IE because they're are afraid to switch browsers, or don't understand what's involved.

bashveank
January 4th, 2010, 05:44 AM
I would imagine Chrome is mostly drawing from current Firefox users, as once someone has switched once they're more likely to do so in the future. Many people use IE because they're are afraid to switch browsers, or don't understand what's involved.

I actually disagree. Google has a put a ton of effort into promoting Chrome to the uninitiated user. Visiting Google.com on IE, you get a huge button in the corner that tells you to switch to Chrome. That alone probably accounts for the majority of switchers.

Dr Belka
January 4th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Yes. Die IE, die!

Hehe.

+1

I am tired of having to design multiple stylesheets

Crunchy the Headcrab
January 4th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I still don't trust Chrome. I have a love/hate relationship with Google.

HappinessNow
January 4th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I still don't trust Chrome. I have a love/hate relationship with Google.
at least there is some love there for the Google. :P

murderslastcrow
January 4th, 2010, 08:30 AM
There are editions of Chromium that don't have any Google in them at all. It is an OPEN SOURCE project, after all.

Ratcrack
January 4th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I like Chrome. Not too crazy about google, though. :)

BTW, hi. 1st post.

Khakilang
January 4th, 2010, 09:04 AM
The reason IE is so popular is because it come with *******. So many Window = to so many IE. Chrome, Firefox, Opera... is alternative to IE. That is why Firefox and Chrome has to fight for its place in the browser market. Just imagine I pay for Windose and I have to use an alternative browser. Not worth the dollar I pay.

fromthehill
January 4th, 2010, 09:48 AM
every single billboard here has a huge google chrome ad on it
they had ad that coverd the entire front, first page
and back of a newspaper that gets read by a quarter of the people here

kind of hard not to notice :P

kpkeerthi
January 4th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Running the updated and improved 'AdBlock - Version: 1.2.38' on mine is working great.

Mind posting a link where I can get 'AdBlock - Version: 1.2.38' for Chrome? Thanks.

HappinessNow
January 4th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Mind posting a link where I can get 'AdBlock - Version: 1.2.38' for Chrome? Thanks.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

Shippou
January 4th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I actually disagree. Google has a put a ton of effort into promoting Chrome to the uninitiated user. Visiting Google.com on IE, you get a huge button in the corner that tells you to switch to Chrome. That alone probably accounts for the majority of switchers.

Oh well. Google is the MS of the search world.

bashveank
January 4th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Oh well. Google is the MS of the search world.

You mean they make one of the best products out there and monetize it extraordinarily well? Yeah, you're right.

Shippou
January 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM
You mean they make one of the best products out there and monetize it extraordinarily well? Yeah, you're right.

No. What I mean is that they have the largest share in the search world. Just like MS and Intel.

What I like is that they do not monetize their services. Well, maybe except Google Apps. And that is only a hunch.

bashveank
January 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM
No. What I mean is that they have the largest share in the search world. Just like MS and Intel.

What I like is that they do not monetize their services. Well, maybe except Google Apps. And that is only a hunch.

They made a great product and it dominated the market. They must be stopped.

They do monetize every single one of their services by gathering anonymous data that can improve the value of their advertisements.

Shippou
January 4th, 2010, 05:04 PM
They made a great product and it dominated the market. They must be stopped.

They do monetize every single one of their services by gathering anonymous data that can improve the value of their advertisements.

Oooohhh... You got a point.

Well, as often in computer science, there are tradeoffs to consider. A tradeoff of using their services, particularly chrome, is that privacy is somewhat compromised.

aaaantoine
January 4th, 2010, 06:45 PM

Even if it's not, it still may be worth noting that Firefox browser share is down ~.1 percent from last month.

But far more noteworthy than that is this: At the current rate of change, January 2010 will see IE 8 replace IE 6 as the top browser for market share.

On behalf of web developers everywhere, I would like to say it's about damn time.

Edit: I've forgotten that IE 7 had already surpassed IE 6 in the past, but sunk rapidly when IE 8 was released. However, I should also point out that Firefox 3.5 share, alone, is also on path to surpass IE 6 within the next couple of months.

Dragonbite
January 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I heard that if you break down the versions of IE and the versions of Firefox there is one Firefox version (2.5? 3.5?) that is more used than any single IE version.

Thus, Firefox is the MOST used browser in those instances.

Unfortunately, he did not give me any references.

aaaantoine
January 4th, 2010, 07:12 PM
My stuff is coming from Net Applications, like the OP is referencing.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=3

Also if these numbers are to be believed, no, at the moment there is no single version of anything that is more widely used than IE 6. But hey, for what it's worth, FF3.5 and IE7 just crossed paths on the line graph.

blur xc
January 4th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Seems that there are a lot of safari users making the swtich-

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Web-Services-Web-20-and-SOA/Google-Chrome-Laps-Apple-Safari-in-Browser-Marathon-165957/

That proved prescient, and while Linux users are a passionate bunch, there were more Mac users looking to try Chrome on their machines. Even Google co-founder Sergey Brin was clamoring for a version of Chrome for the Mac.

Google Chrome Product Manager Brian Rakowski said upon launch that the stable version of Chrome for Mac is speedy and includes animations and effects "to create a snappy and satisfying browsing experience" for the Mac OS X operating system.

BM

Tristam Green
January 4th, 2010, 07:52 PM

I always do what a button tells me to do.

HappinessNow
January 5th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Seems that there are a lot of safari users making the swtich-

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Web-Services-Web-20-and-SOA/Google-Chrome-Laps-Apple-Safari-in-Browser-Marathon-165957/

BMAwesome to see that Mac users are switching to Google Chrome could be a good sign for when Google Chrome OS comes out.