PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dell Latitude D600 Laptop + Blank 80G Western Digital hard drive = fail

MsMixer
January 3rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Long Version:
I dropped Windows a few months ago when I realized that Ubuntu (Jaunty) was rad. Two troubleshooting-filled weeks later, I was in love with my new OS...then my dinosaur of a hard drive died. I finally was able to purchase a new drive. Now, after I try to boot from CD (which I've successfully done before the last drive died), I get this message, "No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility." I have set my bios to boot in the correct order, I have searched the forums, I know my multiple burned iso cds aren't at fault...and now I am at a loss. gah. My roomie thinks I should reinstall Windows and try to continue from there, but I just can't bring myself to do that (what, with all the poop-talking I did when he had to reformat, again, last week!). Help, friends!

Short Version:
Dell Latitude D600 Laptop + Blank 80G Western Digital hard drive = fail.

I truly appreciate any help you can offer.

Barriehie
January 3rd, 2010, 02:47 PM
Long Version:
I dropped Windows a few months ago when I realized that Ubuntu (Jaunty) was rad. Two troubleshooting-filled weeks later, I was in love with my new OS...then my dinosaur of a hard drive died. I finally was able to purchase a new drive. Now, after I try to boot from CD (which I've successfully done before the last drive died), I get this message, "No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility." I have set my bios to boot in the correct order, I have searched the forums, I know my multiple burned iso cds aren't at fault...and now I am at a loss. gah. My roomie thinks I should reinstall Windows and try to continue from there, but I just can't bring myself to do that (what, with all the poop-talking I did when he had to reformat, again, last week!). Help, friends!

Short Version:
Dell Latitude D600 Laptop + Blank 80G Western Digital hard drive = fail.

I truly appreciate any help you can offer.

Try booting from a Gparted Live CD (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-stable/) to format the drive to your choice of file system(s) / partitions. After the drive is formatted you should be able to boot from your Live CD and install. :)