PDA

View Full Version : Laptop as Carry-on Luggage

Plumtreed
January 3rd, 2010, 06:00 AM
When I travel I take my laptop as 'carry-on' luggage. I seldom use it because I usually just sleep. There are so many security checks I don't want to lug it around now. Would it survive with the 'checked-in' luggage in the cargo hold?.

xuCGC002
January 3rd, 2010, 06:03 AM
No, no, no, no, no.

I took my desktop as a carry on for when I traveled to Quakecon, and I'm glad I was lucky enough to do so. Seeing them toss baggage here and there without care is heartbreaking if you have your laptop in there.

sports fan Matt
January 3rd, 2010, 06:04 AM
I'd have to agree..I wouldn't take the risk.

NCLI
January 3rd, 2010, 07:55 AM
Well, I took my desktop system and one of my 24" LCD monitors with me to malta as check-in luggage. No problems at all.

starcannon
January 3rd, 2010, 08:01 AM
Just keep it as carry on. There is no point in risking it.
Checked luggage runs a gauntlet that equates to "survival of the fittest". One of my bags was opened, and the seal broken on a spankin' new bottle of bourbon; It did not look as though it had much "removed" from it, but my clothes in my checked bag did smell of whiskey, and were very messed up. At this point I avoid flight with exception to emergency. I will drive 10 hours before I'll fly for 1, simply because I can not stand the TSA's total lack of respect for me, my belongings, and logic.

Dayofswords
January 3rd, 2010, 08:04 AM
Israeli Border Police Shoot US Student's Laptop (http://mobile.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/12/16/0159251)
dont shoot my pc pl0x

this could be a problem too
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/bag_check.png

Gizenshya
January 3rd, 2010, 08:16 AM
^^^ regarding the link and pic... lmfao!

and back to the link... It's Israel. nuff said.

Cavalryman
January 3rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
Generally, I don't think it's a good to check computers. That said, I have done it occasionally. Get one of the cases made by Pelican; that's what the military uses for sensitive electronics. It would take a lot of abuse to damage a laptop in an appropriate Pelican case.

TironN
January 3rd, 2010, 08:34 AM
Generally, I don't think it's a good to check computers. That said, I have done it occasionally. Get one of the cases made by Pelican; that's what the military uses for sensitive electronics. It would take a lot of abuse to damage a laptop in an appropriate Pelican case.

How much would one of those set me back?

Also I am currently in Laos and have taken my laptop as carryon all the time because the amount of breakables that have broke in my bag is astounding

Cavalryman
January 3rd, 2010, 08:47 AM
How much would one of those set me back?

Also I am currently in Laos and have taken my laptop as carryon all the time because the amount of breakables that have broke in my bag is astounding

They're not cheap, but I've never had anything broken when packed in an appropriate Pelican case (although your results may vary). There are a lot of Pelican cases for laptops here http://www.pelican-case.com/laptop-cases.html and doubtless other places on the net as well. I use a 1470 for my laptop. These are also the cases that military and law enforcement professionals use to transport firearms, so you may get some strange looks! :) You can pluck out the foam to the shape of whatever you want to put into the case -- computer, camera, firearm, etc. -- and you can get more foam so that you can use the same case for different items.

clanky
January 3rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
For exactly the reasons mentioned in by the OP I always put my laptop in my hold baggage and have never had a problem with it.

I travel regularly with work (fly from the UK to Europe every four weeks).

Plumtreed
January 3rd, 2010, 12:38 PM
I think the 'consensus' is 3 for carry-on and 2
for checked/hold luggage.

My guess is that a laptop in the centre of a suitcase, padded on all sides, should survive.

Other than a good book, It really bugs me to have any 'carry-on' luggage.

Appreciate your contributions, thanks

Plumtreed
January 20th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Just thought I should point out that my travel insurance policy does not cover damage to a laptop if it was in the 'hold' luggage rather than 'carried-on'! Damage as a carried-on is covered.