PDA

View Full Version : Java? Software C or Synaptics?

Tourdog
January 3rd, 2010, 05:18 AM
I'm using 9.10 Netbook Remix with XP and an 8 gig USB. It seems to work well. I've done the 2 "flash files" already and need advice on obtaining the Java files:
It seems I can use the "Ubuntu Software Center" where many files are packaged with Open Office. Or, use the "Synaptics" and get Open Office . org-Java-Common..................... which of these is correct? Do I end up getting the Java I need either way but the first one writes over the Ooopen Office files that come with Remix?

Your recommendations would be appreciated!

Hopefully the answer here will point the direction for getting Open Office to recognize something other than a "default" printer. My printer is on my WEP wifi network. I cannot find anything in "Help" in this regard?

I am very pleased with the Ubuntu op system and for the outstanding help on this forum!

Tourdog

73ckn797
January 3rd, 2010, 05:25 AM
If you want Java, Synaptic has the files you need. "sun-javajre" should work.

There is also the following, latest, Java you can install by following the instructions here: http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java

I have loaded the "openjdk-6-jre" from synaptic and it is working quite well for my needs. The plugin also needs to be installed.

Tourdog
January 3rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks 73ckn797 ! I am working on it!