PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wine and window program not start

chitragurung
January 3rd, 2010, 04:35 AM
I have been using ubuntu 8.04 in dell inspiron mini. I had added some window programs using Wine in my notebook but it does not rune. I have set in window xp as default. Also I wanted to uninstall the program that still there even I click unstall button and also say finished unstallation. So, I am wondering what is the problem with programs. If I open some window program it hang up the computer as well. So, I am fade up with this WINE program either I could run the program nor uninstall the program.

3Miro
January 3rd, 2010, 04:54 AM
1. Not all windows programs run under wine and many programs need careful setup.

2. You can try to install the latest version of wine, I think the one in 8.04 repository is wine 1.0, right now most people use 1.35 or later.

3. Check out the winehq forum (www.winehq.com and/or Google winehq appdb). There is information for many programs that need special care to run. The Ubuntu forum is not the best forum for wine questions.

4. If the program still doesn't run, you may consider VirtualBox. That will let you install a copy of windows XP and run it form within Ubuntu.