PDA

View Full Version : I'm curious... do you think....

Gizenshya
January 3rd, 2010, 03:46 AM
This poll is intended for non-US users.

As the poll says, do you feel Americans generally go about as if there is o outside world?

I don't mean this politically: I'm just curious about opinions of Americans in general.

There aren't many places Americans can go to get relevant answers to such questions. Assuming there is an outside world, that is.

x33a
January 3rd, 2010, 03:48 AM
It is not just the americans, it's the same for most, if not all, developed nations.

dragos240
January 3rd, 2010, 03:50 AM

As the poll says, do you feel Americans generally go about as if there is o outside world?

Huh??? I don't get the question, 'as if there is o outside world.'
Do you mean, NO outside world, not o outside world?

autonomy
January 3rd, 2010, 03:51 AM
There are some Americans who don't know, some who don't know and don't care, and some who know and care a lot.
It is not just the americans, it's the same for most, if not all, developed nations.I didn't know that.

I never noticed the link to the quoted post in quotes.

starcannon
January 3rd, 2010, 04:18 AM

I don't mean this politically: I'm just curious about opinions of Americans in general.

There aren't many places Americans can go to get relevant answers to such questions. Assuming there is an outside world, that is.

I'm an American, and I'm gonna answer, though I refuse to vote in your poll, nor would I vote in any such poll regardless of nationality involved. I find these sorts of istic thoughts to be offensive, in this case an odd form of nationalism, or anti-nationality is being expressed. Sure, sure, you covered your *** with an "I don't mean this politically" line, but, that sort of cover doesn't work with racism, and it won't work with nationalism either.

alakazam
January 3rd, 2010, 04:21 AM
Where's America?

Gizenshya
January 3rd, 2010, 04:31 AM
I find these sorts of istic thoughts to be offensive, in this case an odd form of nationalism, or anti-nationality is being expressed. Sure, sure, you covered your *** with an "I don't mean this politically" line, but, that sort of cover doesn't work with racism, and it won't work with nationalism either.

see your point... but that begs the question: is it better, then, to just ignore how people generalize others, and pretend we all think the exact same of everyone?

Ignorance is not an answer, IMO. It is convenient... but it is better to understand views, and then work from there.

Consider it constructive criticism, or a lighthearted mock. Don't think too much.

ticopelp
January 3rd, 2010, 04:39 AM
Don't think too much.

Well, you've certainly set the precedent here.

Crap thread.

kevdog
January 3rd, 2010, 04:40 AM
I for one am voting for thread closure!

NCLI
January 3rd, 2010, 04:47 AM
Some of them do, some of them don't. Same with most people, only looking at what's important to oneself.
I do think more Americans behave this way than Europeans though, with all the "America is #1" stuff, but I might just have been influenced by common opinion.

Gizenshya
January 3rd, 2010, 04:50 AM
I didn't mean to offend with this thread, but since some have been offended, I don't suppose it matters what my intentions were.

I'm messaged a mod to close or delete it.

I'm sorry to anyone I offended.

starcannon
January 3rd, 2010, 04:51 AM

http://www.picturehistory.com/images/products/0/3/5/prod_3529.jpg

Chris Edgell
January 3rd, 2010, 04:53 AM
i'm an american, and i'm gonna answer, though i refuse to vote in your poll, nor would i vote in any such poll regardless of nationality involved. I find these sorts of istic thoughts to be offensive, in this case an odd form of nationalism, or anti-nationality is being expressed. Sure, sure, you covered your *** with an "i don't mean this politically" line, but, that sort of cover doesn't work with racism, and it won't work with nationalism either.

+1

Really, the poll is vague and so is the part where you try to define what you're looking for. People are so individual; each person has the opportunity to comprehend the world...we can only look for the light that shows us how we are all in this world together.

Frak
January 3rd, 2010, 04:55 AM
The only people I know of that truly know the world (without being filthy rich) are the Army, Navy, and Marines. Very, very few others are aware of the outside world and/or politics.

manny43
January 3rd, 2010, 05:07 AM
Born in Cuba but i will not vote in your poll either.Well said starcannon you have made your point very well.Thank you

fatcrab
January 3rd, 2010, 05:18 AM
This makes me very sad.

gashcr
January 3rd, 2010, 05:21 AM
I think even the title is wrong... as you're refering US residents as Americans... where Americans refers to people who live in America (continent). enough said...

Exodist
January 3rd, 2010, 05:21 AM
I am American and I can safely say the majority of Americans in the USA dont have a clue to the outside world. Only about 1 out of 10 I know do. If it wasnt for Hollywood movies most would think they are the only civilization on earth with running water, air condition and a building not made of straw.

robertcoulson
January 3rd, 2010, 05:22 AM
I thought this was a forum for "UBUNTU"....???
Bob

Frak
January 3rd, 2010, 05:23 AM
I am American and I can safely say the majority of Americans in the USA dont have a clue to the outside world. Only about 1 out of 10 I know do. If it wasnt for Hollywood movies most would think they are the only civilization on earth with running water, air condition and a building not made of straw.
This.

Exodist
January 3rd, 2010, 05:25 AM
I'm an American, and I'm gonna answer, though I refuse to vote in your poll, nor would I vote in any such poll regardless of nationality involved. I find these sorts of istic thoughts to be offensive, in this case an odd form of nationalism, or anti-nationality is being expressed. Sure, sure, you covered your *** with an "I don't mean this politically" line, but, that sort of cover doesn't work with racism, and it won't work with nationalism either.
Just read SCs post. Even though I already posted in regards to the OPs questo, Starcannon does kinda have a point.

starcannon
January 3rd, 2010, 05:26 AM
I thought this was a forum for "UBUNTU"....???
Bob
Community Cafe is much broader in scope, but this thread definitely is not something I would expect to see here; and am a bit confused as to why it's lived this long; I've seen much less offensive material cut short much sooner.

Linuxforall
January 3rd, 2010, 05:27 AM
They don't care, I lived there for 17 years and have taught at schools and universities so have a bit of experience in this regard. Its the system, it nurtures a US only thinking and nothing else.

KiwiNZ
January 3rd, 2010, 05:28 AM
Thread closed by request