PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Location legacy nvidia-xconfig [or using nvidia-gfx-71 in Ubuntu 9.10]

Syrion
January 3rd, 2010, 03:41 AM
Heya,

I have 9.10 running on an old computer with a Nvidia Vanta-graphics card. Unfortunately these appearently aren't supported by 9.10, since the oldest nvidia drivers in the repository for this build are nvidia-gfx-96, while vanta seem to supported up to nvidia-gfx-71.

After some hours of following tutorials, fiddling around and testing I managed to install the 71-drivers. But, the nvidia-settings require nvidia-xconfig to be around, which is embedded with later driver-builds but not with 71.

Fortunately I found a tar.gz at this page (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_71.86.11.html), so I downloaded it... but -and here is finally my question- where am I supposed to extract it to and are there other things I should do to get it working?

Or, if I'm overcomplicating things, feel free to give me directions on what to do. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything on Ubuntu 9.10 and nvidia-gfx-71, hence I'm messing around for hours by now. ;)

Thanks in advance!

Syrion
January 3rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
Still no luck.

Syrion
January 4th, 2010, 06:52 AM
No one knows?

Syrion
January 7th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Guess it's not possible.

Edwin_OS
January 8th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hi, the way of installing those drivers is:

1. Download the ".run" file
2. stop your x server
3. You're gonna need the packages "gcc" "make" and the sources of your kernel I think
4. run the file as root "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-71.86.11.pkg1.run"
5. Then you will have (at least in theory) your nvidia drivers installed, restart the x server
6. Edit your xorg.conf to use "nvidia" instead of "nv"

I want to tell you that I recently made that process many many times, and I've got no results, It always fails, please tell me if it works because I'm about to give up

(I have an nvidia Vanta also)