PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to create a new look and feel

biggie747
January 3rd, 2010, 02:08 AM
I am board with things and want to shake it up. I love to customize things. I'm looking for a way to customize more than just a theme in Ubuntu. I want to customize the actual looks of it, more than just the colors and sizes. I have some ideas flowing on the look of windows and menus and such. Is there any way, programing or not, to alter the look of a window, menu, or even the task bar, again more than just the colors and text. I'm looking to change the shapes or detach the title from the window. More like physical alterations.

Is there a way?

reidbold
January 3rd, 2010, 05:28 AM
Maybe try writing your own compiz plugins.

jonest1
January 3rd, 2010, 07:12 AM
You may also want to try out different desktop environments and window managers. There are a great number of them available, such as kde, xfce, windowmaker, and fluxbox just to name a few and are available from the Ubuntu repositories.

If anything they may give you some ideas.

abhishekdagr8
January 3rd, 2010, 08:33 AM
I am new to ubuntu and have no past programming experience. I want to edit the looks of ubuntu. Where can I get some interesting themes and visual effects. And please give me the procedure to install them as well. Thanks in advance. :)